[Book Spoilers] The Tickler - did he scare you?

teemo

So - scary, not scary? I expected him to be a little different, but he was definitely nondescript, as true to the books. I didn't expect him to be so smirky and laughing though. Was also surprised that Beric Dondarrion wasn't mentioned in the questioning, even though BWB was. Maybe they thought it would confuse viewers. But Dondarrion has already been introduced in the series and the BWB has not mentioned at all yet IIRC, so that doesn't really make sense.

I expected him to be more sinister and evil. I wanted him to give off the vibe that he was thinking of all the things he could do with all that gold the villagers were hiding and what they would do if they caught the Bw/oB. Unfortunately he came across as more interested in the fruit he was eating than what the villagers were saying. I was hoping for seething wrath and avarice, but all I got was the banality of evil.

I sort of missed it, the Tickler was the dick asking questions not the dick doing the dirty work? From the books I felt the Tickler was sort of the jack of all trades for sadistic torture in the "name" of the Lannisters.

Yes, he was asking the questions, not doing the actual work. For some reason I always had the image that he did the dirty work, but I'm not sure that anything in the books actually suggests that.

The actor was fine, but he didn't seem all that creepy - a little too likable I think.

Was the rats in the bucket thing in the book? I don't remember that and it just seemed a little tame by comparison to what I got the impression they did to those they were interrogating. How terrible can a rat scrabbling and biting at your chest be? I mean, I guess they were supposed to be so desperate to get out they were eating through the victim's chest? Weird.

I think it's good that he didn't look evil at all. It makes the torture scene much more disturbing. But I'm not convinced about the rat. If they had put it on his face, like in 1984, that would have been better. It may be a good way to torture but on the chest doesn't seem so terrifying. Also, when Arya arrive in Harrenhal, the sound of one of the Tickler's victim dying seemed much more like they were using a torture rack of some sort.

I think it's good that he didn't look evil at all. It makes the torture scene much more disturbing. But I'm not convinced about the rat. If they had put it on his face, like in 1984, that would have been better. It may be a good way to torture but on the chest doesn't seem so terrifying. Also, when Arya arrive in Harrenhal, the sound of one of the Tickler's victim dying seemed much more like they were using a torture rack of some sort.

The rats are eating their way out through the stomach, to escape the heat from the fire. If that isn't horrific torture, I don't know what is.

How terrible can a rat scrabbling and biting at your chest be? I mean, I guess they were supposed to be so desperate to get out they were eating through the victim's chest? Weird.

Well, yes. The bucket is heated up and the rat is so maddened that it scrabbles and bites its way through the victim's chest. Not all that quickly. So, really really terrible.

Perfect casting, exactly as described in the books.

Evil people aren't supposed to always look sinister and evil. They don't twirl their mustaches either. :rolleyes:

The actor was fine, but he didn't seem all that creepy - a little too likable I think.

Wat.

Was the rats in the bucket thing in the book? I don't remember that and it just seemed a little tame by comparison to what I got the impression they did to those they were interrogating. How terrible can a rat scrabbling and biting at your chest be?

.... Seriously?

Serious-fucking-ly? Did you just say that it's.... "tame"?

Obligatory: http://images1.wikia...le-facepalm.jpg

The rats are eating their way out through the stomach, to escape the heat from the fire. If that isn't horrific torture, I don't know what is.

Thank you. :stillsick:

I liked the casting of it - if we didn't hear him asking questions, he's going to look like just some no one in a crowd. Might have been nice to have some build up to the rat/bucket, but given that I think this episode lasted like 45 minutes, it makes sense to get his work done quickly.

I would have preferred to see him being more hands-on with the torture. You need to be a real sick puppy in order to torture people and show no real emotion about it, but you don't have to be quite so far over the edge if you're "just" giving orders about it.

Good casting. He really gave off the "I've completely dehumanized these people in my mind and I absolutely do not have any empathy for them. My, my this apple is delicious. Right, let's get on with the torture" vibe; which I imagine would be very scary to actually encounter.

Archived