[Book Spoilers] The Tickler - did he scare you?

teemo

I thought the tickler would be bigger, this guy looked like a wimp . . the new mountain doesn't look near as scary as the MMA giant they had. This one looked subdued like, "Hey I am Ser Gregor I am here just to chill." The guy last season scared me . . they might as well got Minute Bol and have him leave his helm closed if they just wanted height.

Lord Tywin also looked huge, he looked bigger than his soldiers like he would whip all their behinds . . .

I am glad they left in my favorite line, "Is there gold in the village?"

Good casting. He really gave off the "I've completely dehumanized these people in my mind and I absolutely do not have any empathy for them. My, my this apple is delicious. Right, let's get on with the torture" vibe; which I imagine would be very scary to actually encounter.

This. This is exactly how I imagined the Tickler. He's not a man who will take pity and he is completely desensitized to the mutilation and torture he inflicts on his victims. When he's finished one, he moves right on to the next, and so on without so much giving them a second thought. The Tickler is sort of like the assembly line of torturers, for me.

I liked this casting a lot. The Tickler does not look like a bad guy. He looks like your average joe and its his casualness about the whole matter that makes him terrifying. He's a pretty unremarkable guy except for in his skills for inflicting pain, dread, and torment. That's whats scary about him. If this guy, who's so ordinary, is actually a vicious master torturer, how are we supposed to tell who's good and who's bad from now on?

I would have preferred to see him being more hands-on with the torture. You need to be a real sick puppy in order to torture people and show no real emotion about it, but you don't have to be quite so far over the edge if you're "just" giving orders about it.

This. That rat-trick came straight out of one of the fast and furious movies; ie it's a gimmick crutch for any super-villian. He would have been truly scary and terrifying if he just picked up and knife and was seen or implied to do terrible, awful things with it. It fits westeros' tone alot more and im kinda shocked and saddened that we see all this sex but the violence is airbrushed.

Good casting. He really gave off the "I've completely dehumanized these people in my mind and I absolutely do not have any empathy for them. My, my this apple is delicious. Right, let's get on with the torture" vibe; which I imagine would be very scary to actually encounter.

This. I was impressed they resisted the temptation to overplay him and instead gave him an air of nonchalance and slight amusement. A torturer who's that matter-of-fact is much more disturbing and frightening than an obvious, cartoony mustace twirler.

The Tickler reminded me of a dentist I had as a child-he misapplied the anesthesia and then chatted right over my screams.

Nightmare inducing it was, the way he didn't seem to even enjoy the torture, like he was doing something monotonous like stamping papers at the DMV.

Certainly didn't have that scare vibe but certainly the evil, no f*** given vibe given to him. I thought it was well cast and appreciated the implication of what was being done to the victims with the rats. I never want to be eaten through the chest by a rat, nope, nope, nope.

I liked him, from the book I gathered he could be a completely normal person which he did look like, but he just sat there with a monotone voice while people were getting tortured, I thought it showed how sick he is. With the Dondarrion part it would have been good to have his name in there, but in all honesty I forgot he was introduced in the first series and I've watched it about 20 times so I can see people wondering after hearing it thinking who's this Dondarrion?

The name "Dondarrion" would've confused a lot of non-readers, but "Brotherhood" gets them wondering. So later the show can tie them together, maybe even throw in Ned sending Ser Deric to the Riverlands in the "Previously on.." portion of the beginning.

Otherwise, the Tickler's casting looked promising. We all recognised him, but he wasn't introduced OR shown tickling anyone. That'll come later I am sure in order to make Arya's list.

His torture method struck me as a little contrived, but there's no doubt that a rat scratching at your stomach would tickle... at first. His nonchalance was way more disturbing than anything else.

The new Mountain really disappointed me, I would have rather they left him in the distance with a helm and some hefty armor on and hope to get Conan back next season when he actually needs to move around and deliver some lines.

With the Dondarrion part it would have been good to have his name in there, but in all honesty I forgot he was introduced in the first series and I've watched it about 20 times so I can see people wondering after hearing it thinking who's this Dondarrion?

But now they're just thinking, "What the hell is the Brotherhood?" That's what I've been asked a lot about already. At least Beric has been introduced, for people who have been really paying attention. The BWB came out of nowhere.

Archived