[Book Spoilers] Joffrey and the whores

teemo

I'm pretty sure the other whore who was with Ros also played the ship captains daughter that Theon bangs. Did anyone else notice that?

That wasn't her. The woman we saw in this show was in a previous episode where Ros is showing her around Littlefingers Brothel blabbering on about how Lord Balish runs a fancy establishment shortly before the baby is stabbed

Yeah, I was hoping more of the Sansa beating. I especially missed The Hound's line ("That's enough"), as that small moment was enough to set him apart from the real monsters. I didn't mind the whore scene, though. Thought it was acted very well, and it makes sense that they have added a sexual dimension to Joffrey's sadism, as he is older in the TV version than in the book.

Yeah they could have elaborated that and left out the useless hooker scene.

I didn't think they would do the scene in the book... I am not sure Sophie does topless stuff.

Missed the Hound's reaction, tho he is the one who puts his cloak over her.

Now wasn't it Tyrion, in the novel, who stopped all that nonsense?

I think the whole getting sodomized by that stick was the same that was fucking Pycelle last episode. Is that right?

Ah yes, that was her too. Guess that brings the total number of whores in Kings Landing up to 2

This season is supposed to be all about power. And although I thought the whore scene was very unnecessary, to some degree it had a point. Joff is King, a king can do what he likes and he is showing his uncle this by doing whatever he feels like doing. This uncle humiliated him in court, Joff couldn't let that stand. From a character building point of view I get why they did it. It was not pleasant to watch though, and was over the top. :( I don't really get how Cercei is becoming likeable though? Yeah Joff ordered the bastard killings, and yes she freaked out when finding out her daughter was to leave KL, but she is still manipulative and conniving.

I liked it. Not because of the poor whores, nor becasue of Joff's sick/perverse mind. I liked it because it reflected off of Bran's story. Tyrion slaps Joff, says keep Bran in your thoughts. Bran gets an attempt stabbing.

Tyrion makes a fool of Joff in court, and then brings him this present?

Yes, I know we've established that Joff is a monster but I also thought there was a point to this scene. Remember he's not just a psycho. He's a teenage psycho. Which means hormones should be raging. And now here's a kid, who at 15 or 16 and a virgin, would rather see one whore beat another rather than get laid. His brutality and sense of power trumps even the hormones.

While he may have overeacted you can see where he's coming from. You're king of all of Westeros and getting excited about this great nameday gift and walk in to find... these two . In fact it would have been understandable to see him sending his uncle a note attached to Ros's head via crossbow bolt reading,

Dear uncle got your gift. Next time make sure they're;

A: Actually attractive.

B. Younger than my mother

Sincerely, the ******* KING.

P.S. Dear HBO, if you want people to enjoy these titillating scenes involving nothing and going nowhere cast women that are actually, you know, hot.

Sincerely, the demographic you feel needs scene after scene of naked pointless whores.

That wasn't her. The woman we saw in this show was in a previous episode where Ros is showing her around Littlefingers Brothel blabbering on about how Lord Balish runs a fancy establishment shortly before the baby is stabbed

I think I'm beginning to see the point of this scene and the baby killing scene in the brothel, actually. Cersei and her crazy-ass son are having a negative effect on Littlefinger's business. It makes sense that he'd plot against them, which wasn't that clear in the books, TBH. In the books it almost seemed like he was some Loki who liked chaos for chaos' sake.

I think I'm beginning to see the point of this scene and the baby killing scene in the brothel, actually. Cersei and her crazy-ass son are having a negative effect on Littlefinger's business. It makes sense that he'd plot against them, which wasn't that clear in the books, TBH. In the books it almost seemed like he was some Loki who liked chaos for chaos' sake.

But that's kinda the point of Littlefinger. He doesn't have a real plan, he just sows chaos and tries to profit from it anyway he can. He knows that as such a minor noble he'd never rise above Master of Coin when Westeros is stable; its only when the system is falling about that he can advance himself.

As for this scene, I really didn't like it. I think Joffrey's sadism has been pretty well established (and I swear to god if they decide to show him with a cat and a dagger I'm done) and if they didn't they could've stretched out the Sansa court scene instead. This was just a waste of time, especially since the episode was only 50 minutes long. That was precious time that could've been better used elsewhere. And if they really wanted, they could've showed the start of the scene and then Joffrey with a really evil smirk and then cut to the Hound standing outside the door while we hear crying and screaming for a few seconds. Still gets the point across and saves time.

That scene was way too much. The idea behind it is fine, but there was absolutely no need to linger on it. They could very easily have just cut away right after he orders her to hit harder with the belt; staying with the scene (while cutting down the parlay in an already shortened episode) just tells me that D & D actually get off on this stuff as much as Joffrey does.

I thought they should have omitted the whore scene and should have focused on Sansa. By reducing the beating we miss the Hound's disagreement.

When I heard about the whore scene I thought they would be having sex and that seemed out of character for him. His lust seems for power and fear, not sexual. I did not think he was "turned on" by the beating. I took it as he wanted to get back at his uncle for stopping him earlier. We know how much they despise each other.

This was just a waste of time, especially since the episode was only 50 minutes long.

This is why some of the decisions have bugged me as they have - it has been established that Joffrey is an evil bastard, how much more does it need to be reinforced? If the series was 22 episodes for the year, then this probably wouldn't have bugged me as much because the cost in time wouldn't be nearly as large. Next week is half way through the season.

IT's ok but not how I would have dealt with joffrey's depravity

I would have had done where following scene:

myrcella and tommen knock on sansa's door ask if they can spent the next night(s) with her. and then we see myrcella throwing a bloody loincloth into the fire.

maybe some bruises, myrcella asks if Robb will spare her and tommen

I'm not a huge fan of all the sex and nudity, but it's in the books and this is HBO, so I've learned to deal with it. It comes with the territory.

But I had to fast forward through most of this scene. I caught enough to understand what was going on, and I stopped at certain points that looked like dialogue, but otherwise, there was no need to see it. Count me among those who would have rather seen the scene with Sansa go a little longer and include more details from the books than waste time on that filth. Completely unnecessary.

Archived