Thoughts about The Red Wedding...SPOILERS!

barrychenault

Hey guys! I'm new here and reading through A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time! =]

So, I am not quite done with ASoS, and I just read the chapter with the Red Wedding yesterday. I am wondering..did anyone else feel an overwhelming sense of foreboding and dread leading up to those events? I kept talking to my friends about it and saying that I felt like something terrible was going to happen. Did anyone else pick up on the foreshadowing that was going on?

not.in.the.slightest.

I think I was just being dumb by not noticing sometimes. But then again I think most people were shocked.

summat obviusly was gunna go down, but I was think more of walder frey just bitchin a bit and cat offering to marry him too to sweeten the deal.

never expected THAT to happen.

Well I knew the Red Wedding was where some major characters die off. But it was still shocking and it was a great chapter. When Grey Wind growled at the gates of the Twins it was a definite warning, because the direwolfs only do that when they sense something peculiar or they dont like something.

All I can say is, Lord Walder Frey is a slimy old bastard. Martin really did good job making him that way. I was hoping for Catelyn to plunge the dagger through his face. It sucks that Robb and Cat are dead, but it's all apart of a great story.

When I first read it I was completely blindsided but it's the kind of situation where hindsight is 20/20 and you feel like you should have known it all along. I mean just think of the undying :dunce: :

"The second is a room filled with savagely slaughtered corpses which appear to have been attending a feast. A dead man with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king might hold a sceptre, sits at a throne, his eyes looking at Dany with mute appeal".

Yeah, it's an amazing story..actually turning into the best story I've ever read. And now I just read about Jofferey's wedding. Wow. Again, I picked up on some foreshadowing..but I really thought Tyrion was going to kill him. Hm. Haha sorry if this is unnecessary banter, I just kinda need to talk about these books to people who understand what I'm talking about.

When I first read it I was completely blindsided but it's the kind of situation where hindsight is 20/20 and you feel like you should have known it all along. I mean just think of the undying :dunce: :

"The second is a room filled with savagely slaughtered corpses which appear to have been attending a feast. A dead man with the head of a wolf, wearing an iron crown and holding a leg of lamb like a king might hold a sceptre, sits at a throne, his eyes looking at Dany with mute appeal".

I know I cant believe I missed this, When the house of the undying chapter was written I didn't take much of it as real prophecy, thought a lot of it was just disturbing visions to test dany's strength. The ending of the series probably in that bloody chapter and we've all missed it hahaha

Yeah, it's an amazing story..actually turning into the best story I've ever read. And now I just read about Jofferey's wedding. Wow. Again, I picked up on some foreshadowing..but I really thought Tyrion was going to kill him. Hm. Haha sorry if this is unnecessary banter, I just kinda need to talk about these books to people who understand what I'm talking about.

I have never enjoyed myself so much as when joffrey died. It was PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Although i always had some hope of either arya or sansa stabbing him to death

I have never enjoyed myself so much as when joffrey died. It was PERFECTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Although i always had some hope of either arya or sansa stabbing him to death

Haha...yeah...it would have been nice if Tyrion really had done it. Don't give anything away past his trial, haha that's where I am currently!!

I just read the red wedding over the weekend. WOW! It was way too intense for a book. At first I was so caught up in Cat's headache and all the loud, horribly played music and then BAM! the s---t hit the fan fast! I was like WTF?!? Even tho I knew it was coming, it was still intense and draining.

I had forgotten about the prophecy about the red wedding in the house of the undying. Good catch!

Now I have the post red wedding blues...

Hahaha..yeah I did too..where are you in the book currently?

I'm at Davos' chapter where he is reminding Stannis that Edric Storm is a person. Poor Davos seems to be between a rock and a hard place.

It's funny, my friend had read this before I started reading it and kind of gave away the red wedding way before I got to it, but, in the Tyrion chapter when Tywin first "summons" him to the tower of the hand and says something to the effect of some battles are won with quill and paper, I texted my friend and said "I bet Tywin is behind the red wedding". I was shocked that I was right! LOL!!

I still have the post red wedding blues tho... :crying:

I'm rereading the Red Wedding after I've seen all the comments about it. I felt dread. I ignored Greywolf's reaction although I should have known that he was warning them. I knew that it was wrong to go there. I knew there would be trouble. I figured they would be killed upon arrival or when they were leaving. I kept waiting for the worst to happen before the wedding, during the long wedding.

I knew something bad would happen. I didn't think they would be killed at the wedding itself, but as soon as they left when I first read it. The wedding seems to go on so long. I read about the awful food. Martin describes the food as awful when something bad will happen. It's obvious that Martin loves food from the description of it. It was going to be a slaughter: watery leek soup, limp green bean salad, the sweetbreads, etc. The bad music giving Cat a headache was a sign. All the money spend on alcohol even the troops were given drink signs of a trap. That made me think they were going to be killed after leaving the building. I thought Lord Walder Frey was the type to shoot drunk people in the back.

Their deaths didn't shock me. The timing did. There was such an awful seen of dread with the details of the wedding. Even Sansa's wedding seemed nicer. Tyrion did his best to comfort her. The food was good. Her gown was beautiful. The music was pleasant. Tyrion protected her from the bedding. You knew they would live through it. The red wedding felt completely different.

I know many cultures even today that honor their guests. They will protect you with their lives when you're inside their house. I could see Lord Frey breaking that by killing them the minute they left their house. I didn't imagine him spilling blood inside his home. I didn't surprise me to see the wedding feast as very crowded room. The seating surprised me. Lord Frey kept Cat and her son separated. That wasn't a good sign. The focus on the insult wasn't a good sign. I knew Robb would die, but I didn't expect Cat. I figured they would kill a lot of his men, take a lot hostages and take Cat hostage as well.

I'm going back to read it again. I'm up to the bedding in the rereading because of the forums discussion of it. I needed to see the details around the event. The shock of it all made me not see what was around the wolfhead sewn to Robb's body.

I've gotten to the point where I expect anyone and everyone to die at the drop of a hat. I had been spoiled to Robb's death before I even started reading the book but going into the wedding I had no idea that all that was going to happen, I was completely shocked.

Looking back though all the signs are there. Large amounts of alcohol to get the soldiers too drunk to fight and all in tight areas. The loud music so the signal song "Ruins of Castamere" could be heard in both castles and outside. Edmure's wife looking more scared than she should have been. And Bolton, I never liked him but I always thought he could be trusted. Shame.

Was a great read none the less.

I've gotten to the point where I expect anyone and everyone to die at the drop of a hat. I had been spoiled to Robb's death before I even started reading the book but going into the wedding I had no idea that all that was going to happen, I was completely shocked.

Looking back though all the signs are there. Large amounts of alcohol to get the soldiers too drunk to fight and all in tight areas. The loud music so the signal song "Ruins of Castamere" could be heard in both castles and outside. Edmure's wife looking more scared than she should have been. And Bolton, I never liked him but I always thought he could be trusted. Shame.

Was a great read none the less.

Yeah, the fact that there was so much alcohol made me apprehensive too. I wanted to scream at my kindle "get out of there!!! it's a trap!!" Especially since Grey Wind was baulking on the bridge. Gotta listen to your animals. Sometimes they are smarter than we are. :leer:

I finished aSoS a few weeks ago, but I've got to say that the Red Wedding really took me by surprise. I picked up on some of the foreshadowing, so I expected something bad to happen, but I didn't expect everyone to just get up and killed. Since then, I've gotten paranoid senses of forboding about all the main characters I care about whenever something good seems to be happening to them.

Absolutely, It was expertly written to really crank up the suspense and the sense of foreboding I had was actually quite uncomfortable. I wanted to scream at them ' No! Something bad is going to happen!'. It made me angry as well that Robb continued to disregard Grey Wind's warning signals. So, I was expecting something to put a spanner in the works (maybe them taken as hostages, or Catelyn to be killed) but definately not the carnage that ensued especially after Robb's marriage to Jeyne, I felt that there would have been more of a story there. Also, a question, I know that Grey Wind was obviously caught as they put his head on Robb's body but is it told in the book how he is killed? I don't remember, I wish he had lived (more than Robb!).

Absolutely, It was expertly written to really crank up the suspense and the sense of foreboding I had was actually quite uncomfortable. I wanted to scream at them ' No! Something bad is going to happen!'. It made me angry as well that Robb continued to disregard Grey Wind's warning signals. So, I was expecting something to put a spanner in the works (maybe them taken as hostages, or Catelyn to be killed) but definately not the carnage that ensued especially after Robb's marriage to Jeyne, I felt that there would have been more of a story there. Also, a question, I know that Grey Wind was obviously caught as they put his head on Robb's body but is it told in the book how he is killed? I don't remember, I wish he had lived (more than Robb!).

They mention something about how he is taken down by three men by the tents or something, and then they of course separate his head and put it on Robbs' body. But I think that the beast won't fight good when his master is not present. The dire wold seem to be very loyal.

It's really a horrible thing Walder Frey did, but what he did to Robb's body and Greywind was even worse.

But whats even better is that after the events of the Red Wedding more Frey's die off than Starks and etc. So that's a good thing I guess.

Grey Wind losing his mind was a big hint that something bad was going to happen with the Freys. Plus, we already knew Roose would be a traitor from Brienne. There is no way anyone could have connected the dots from the house of the undying. I've also heard that those prophesies don't even line up with the red wedding. Rob discussing who would be his heir was not good mojo either.

Archived