Thoughts about The Red Wedding...SPOILERS!

barrychenault

I remember always heading people say "Everyone Dies" before I had ever read the books. I was expecting something, not that. I was slightly let down though by the end of DWD, everyone didn't die, stupid fucking rumour, I was expecting the entire of westeros to be in flames or something.

I spoiled myself a little, but was too dumb to get the meaning, and I'm glad that I was dumb. I read in the Wiki of Ice and Fire that Robb was "briefly" married with Jeyne, and thought "well, little Jeyne is going to die". When Robb set off for the wedding I thought that Riverrun would be attacked and Jeyne killed.

I also heard the words "Red Wedding" and thought they referred to Joffrey's marriage.

As for the actual reading, I was so dumb that I only realized that something was going on when "Rains of Castamere" started playing. I was thrilled and shocked. Even more so in the next chapter when Sandor hits Arya's neck with the axe. I thought Arya was dead too, and was astonished. Later I read Jon's battle at the Wall thinking "Jon is gonna die too, please don't let this happen, he is gonna die, there are so many wildlings and so few watchers, Jon wil die too". The tension was even greater than at the Red Wedding itself.

I don't think I've ever felt such tension reading a book before, while reading the RW. It was dreadful to read. But it's the story and everything that happens has a meaning to it :(

I was convinced that something bad was about to happen when Arya and Sandor were on their way to the wedding. A happy reunion felt way too optimistic, considering it's ASOIAF.

Unfortunately the "Red Wedding" was spoiled for me before I even got to it. Really made me angry. I had gone searching for more information on the "The Rains of Castamere" and stumbled upon. I knew who was going to be killed, but did not learn of the details. I was still shocked at the way everything had gone down. Really curious to see how this all transfers to the screen. Really made my heart drop to my stomach reading. I liked Robb's character a lot.

I don't want to read anymore. Anyone have any good advice on how to get over this?

I know it's hard but at this point one really has to let go of the idea that the northern army will be successful in this war.

But you should read on because there are more (this time pleasant) surprises ahead in this very book. I don't know if they will make up for the RW but they are pretty big as well.

I know it's hard but at this point one really has to let go of the idea that the northern army will be successful in this war.

But you should read on because there are more (this time pleasant) surprises ahead in this very book. I don't know if they will make up for the RW but they are pretty big as well.

Now that I've slept on it I feel better. I probably won't touch the book for a couple days but ill get over it.

One word to old and craven walder frey: Coward!

Robb and Catelyn would never guess the Freys would betray the guest hospitality treaty and sell themselves so cheaply to Tywin lannister.

Were they nahive to go to the wedding without securing the King in the North ? yes!

Catelyn sort of sensed something was weird, but just not in time to save the northerners.

I was also totally shocked...I actually re-read that passage because I just couldn't believe it. I'm sad that Winterfell has burned down and three Starks are dead (plus some wolves)!!!!! I hope GRRM starts killing off some bad guys soon....I want some revenge :whip:

• 3 weeks later...

I actually cheated and read ahead and was shocked prematurely! Then when I got to the chapter again, I was still devastated. Catelyn's death is especially horrible. If I were Arya or Sansa, I just couldn't go on. I can see how some people might put the books down at some point because the twists are just too brutal and the outlook for the protagonists is bleak. I hope the remaining Starks get their justice at the end of the series!!!

There has been some pretty bad events (for us readers) in aSoIaF but the Red Wedding takes the biscuit!! Up to then, whatever happened, we always had this beacon of hope that was Robb, especially with the bonus of him proving such a capable and skilled commander.

The Lannisters might win the political battles, the Night Watch might be in trouble, villains like Gregor Clegane, Vargo Hoat, Ramsay Snow and others might still commit their atrocities in the field, but there was always Robb, and with him the hope that whevener he would have the opportunity to attend to those villains, they might get their comeuppance (spelling?)

But now with him dead.... that hope has died. And everything seem much darker these days. R'hllor followers might have their "Prince that was Promised" to save the day but for us Stark fans, it was always Robb that fulfilled that function. Now it's like we believed in this religion, and have just been told that the God we believed in doesn't actually exist.

Killing Grey Wind also makes it worse - if we feel that the direwolves are in some way mystical protectors of the Stark children, then there is truly no way back for Robb. He is dead and will never come back.

I guess we have to pin our hopes on womeone else now, Jon, Arya, Bran, Rickon, Sansa, or maybe a non-Stark dude like Jaime or Dany. We all need a hero and much as I like the Hound, we need someone a bit more pure and good-hearted than him. But it will never be the same again, we have been hurt, and being in mourning, not ready to love again in a hurry. No one can truly replace Robb right now.

Probably a bit over-dramatic (I know, I need to grow up!) but that's what these books do to me!!! Am I the only one?

So, this is my first time reading aSoS (i guess im quite slow, i reread the first two books).

Since i was, ofcourse, spoiled about the red wedding, i tried to focus on the details.

One of the first things that caught my eye, is the direwolfs howling. The second was i think, that the girl Edmure was about to marry is actually beautiful. I think the final thing was Cat's headache and the loud music.

And ofcourse, Reins of Castamere..

All along the chapter, i was hoping deep inside that they would survive, but oh well. At least i know Joffrey is going to die as well..

I was aware of the RW before I'd started to read ASoS, and even then I had cried. I still shed a lot of tears when I reached that chapter whilst reading the book. It was Cat's helplessness that tormented me the most; our children, Ned, all our sweet babes (that line broke me). That chapter was so well written, though. Sigh.

I have been a Stark supporter since the very beginning and was almost devastated after Ned's death. But surely the RW takes the cake. I can't picture the state I'd be in when that episode airs, so...

All my hopes are pinned on Jon now.

As I've read from other users too, I began the series under the ''everyone dies'' thing. And even more the day I openly said the Starks are my favourite family in the world of Westeros, when a friend said to me: ''Then prepare yourself''. So, with those in mind, I was expecting people to die + Starks. And who could die? Arya? No, she's too much to say yet, Sansa? neither, The little ones? Not Bran, and neither Rickon (although I don't much care about this one)... Cat and Robb were the obvious choice. They were tedious and a bit boring till that point, and Robb was just SO plainly stupid... I mean, yes, sure, it doesn't ring any bell to you that the Freys invite you all of the sudden to such a party, forgiving everything you've done, all the offense and such. Well of course the Freys are the most honorable family in Westeros so of course you attend the wedding. I mean... It was obvious (to me) that something would happen inside there. Too much goodness for the world of AsoIaF. It did shock me nonetheless, I felt terribly sorry for Grey Wind.

I heard the phrase "The Red Wedding" alot, so I knew something bad might happen in some wedding, but there were so many weddings that I was kinda confused, and didn't pick up what was going to happen until the minute Cat sensed something was wrong.

I still thinj the most brilliaint thing about it was the song: In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours. I know it's a song dedicated to the lannister enemies but at this point I imagined lord walder saying this, and got chills.

I read it a few days ago and kept saying "no, no, no" whie reading. Believe it or not, I actually picked up on something in Arya's chapter that was just before Cat's:

"The music grew even louder as they approached the castle, but under that was a deeper, darker sound: the river, the swollen Green Fork, growling like a lion in its den."

At that moment I started thinking the wedding would be attacked in the night, like Robb attacked the Crag. At this point I was confused and thought Bolton was planning to break away from the Starks after seeing his strength dwindle and either his men would betray them or the Mountain would attack.

Anyway, I forced myself to read Arya's chapter, too, and then I was completely dead inside. I thought Arya, Catelyn, and Robb had all died in a few pages. Honestly, Robb is my favorite character because I can empathise with all the pressure he's under, how he wants to honor his Father but feels like he bit off way more than he can chew.

Also, to the guy that said the Starks flaunt their honor: all your examples just show that they lived their lives according to what they believed is honorable. There is no flaunting, they never call others coward and try to make themselves look better. Acting according to your morale isn't flaunting it, it's being genuine, it's being true.

The only spoiler I got for the RW was that there was some event in aSoS that was called the Red Wedding...

Got the spoiler after I had watched season 1 of GOT, and then watched a video of the first ComicCon press conference.

So then I started reading the first book, and all the time I was reading the books I was always sure that the Red Wedding would be Joffreys wedding, since I was also spoiled to the fact that he would die somewhere in the third book.

When I read that Edmure was to wed Roslin Frey, I thought "hey maybe the Red Wedding is Edmures wedding instead".

But then I was again convinced that it would be Joffreys wedding when the Red Viper arrived in Kings Landing. I mean cmon he's called the RED viper, i thought, and he was talking of justice and vengeance, and the Tyrell host was in the city, so I thought it would be a complete bloodbath in the city.

I did sense som danger when the food at the Twins was so horrible, and the alcohol was flowing like a river, but the thing with the musicians took me by complete surprise, and I begun to realize (to my dread) that the Red Wedding was Edmures wedding.

Thats when all the little signs from the text begun to sink in to my head and I was like Oh... My... God... nooooooo!

The way the heir to the Twins was sweating like a pig, and all these Freys were just "away" or "on duty", I did sense something was amiss but I didnt anticipate that Walder Frey would bathe his own castle in blood and kill his guests, while they were eating his food. He had no right, Robb hardly did him any wrong and he got the Lord of Riverrun instead... The twisted little scumbag...

When the Smalljon was cut down by Northmen I knew all was lost, but I really always thought Roose Bolton could somehow be trusted... I just didnt pick up on the signs.

It was probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to read, but it was also some of the best writing in history.

And the horrible things they did to Robb and Grey Winds bodies... just grossed me out.

I liked Robb, he was really his fathers son and it made me sad that he and Catelyn died thinking that Bran, Rickon and Arya were dead, especially when Arya was just outside the gates. I thought for a moment that Martin had killed off Arya too and I was on the verge of burning the book and jumping off a cliff :P

Just read it two days ago and now Im at the point where Sansa has escaped the city... poor Sansa falling into Littlefingers arms, the man who betrayed her father.

These books are amazing and I cant wait to read more, loving the forum :D

The only spoiler I got for the RW was that there was some event in aSoS that was called the Red Wedding...

Got the spoiler after I had watched season 1 of GOT, and then watched a video of the first ComicCon press conference...

But then I was again convinced that it would be Joffreys wedding when the Red Viper arrived in Kings Landing. I mean cmon he's called the RED viper, i thought, and he was talking of justice and vengeance, and the Tyrell host was in the city, so I thought it would be a complete bloodbath in the city...

I can completely relate to this! I was worried about Tyrion dying at TRW and then, GRRM pulls the rug out from under you w/ those low-down Freys.

Hello.

First Post :)

The RW caught me completly by surprise.

Some clues i catched and thought ok, that wont propably end that good (grey wind growling, some freys absent),but i didnt expect what then happened, not at all. Also, i was completely unspoiled, i didnt even know the term "Red Wedding" by the time of reading.

Other clues i didnt gave too much of weight:

- sloppy band, bad food are things that would suprise me in other high houses, but not necessarily from the lord of the crossing. Its just how i thought house frey would be to some extend. Likely so the bad language of Walder. Alltogether things that didnt concern me much.

- Bolton marrying a Frey was something i didnt link to the event at all. i thought it just happened by chance and was unrelated.

- the overly sad bride i found strange but i did not give it too much meaning. i thought she is just a very shy thing and very uncomfortable in that moment.

- Alcohol and general chaos: Hell, its a wedding, getting drunk and chaotic is the purpose of this :)

When the rains of castamere started i got the first feeling of this thing ending very bad. But i did still not expect THAT..

When the shit hit the fan i had mutliple times where i put down the buck and loudly said WTF into the room. At the end of the chapter i was completely shocked and put down the book to smoke a cigarette and rething what the hell just happened. I was still in disbelieve.

Then the Arya chapter came and i interpreted the last sentence so that the hound had actualy killed her with that axe, although it made no sense, but still. By then i was physicaly shocked and exhausted. I would not believe it, i sat there telling myself that this wasnt true, it just couldnt be. I imagine a similar feeling must have been when ned and supposedly bran and rickong died but those events i allready knew due to the HBO Series, which brought me too the books.

All in all this was surely one of the, if not THE most intense piece of reading ive ever had. It was well written and so gripping.

I always have pictures of scenes building up in my imagination, like most people shurely have, but i also startesd hearing rains of castamere in my head (my brain made up a tune of its own) and the threatening boom, doom, boom, doom of the drums, i heard screams and fighting nad it was almost as beeing there.

So intense, so good!

Well played, mr. martin, well played!

Absolutely love this event and ASoS in generell was a superb book, so many great things happening. I started arround 150 pages infront of the RW two days ago and Im currently 135 pages into AFfC (bantam paperback edition) and im absolutely LOVING these books so much, im scarcly doing anything else anymore then reading when im havein free time.

Im not a fantasy reader normaly and im somewhat turned off by orks and elfs and whatnot, but these Saga is so wonderful and fantastic, it strucks me in disbelieve that more or less one person alone can create all this.

A thing that more then desevers the in our times overly used term epic rightfuly!

Please bear with my writing, english is not my native language.

Archived