[Book Spoilers] the shadow

turdle

what does everyone think of our first glimpse of mel's shadows? i figured they were going to combine storms end and renly's scenes into one for times sake. i thought the CGI was pretty good, but i expected it to be on the ground or wall like an actual shadow, not a 3 dimensional smoke monster.

I too envisioned it as an actual shadow, this looked like an ink monster. The screeching was beyond stupid.

They definitely put some cash into it, no doubt about that. It looked as high quality as something from a movie, but I was disappointed with the interpretation.

Fantastically done. Might not be the same as the books, but it gets across the creepiness of the scene far, far better. It's more visually impressive (which is a good thing) and gets across the point that you do not mess with Melisandre. It's her first blatant use of magic, other than the poisoning thing which was subtle in comparison. This made up for a very lackluster and boring episode (except for some parts, which were wonderful).

In the books, there's a shadow and oh hey Stannis is dead.

In the show? From what I'm seeing... Blood, blood everywhere. I am very excited.

The screeching was beyond stupid.

Did you dislike the end of Season One, out of curiosity? I didn't mind the screeching myself.

I think it was awesome, far better than than I thought it would be.

I agree that the screeching thing doesn't make sense, shadows shouldn't be able to make sounds, but overall i don't mind it (I didn't even get that until I read it here).

Did you dislike the end of Season One, out of curiosity? I didn't mind the screeching myself.

Dragons screech. A shadow version of Stannis should not.

The end of the first book specifically mentions the air being filled with the song of dragons for the first time in a hundred years. ACOK definitely did not mentioned the shadowbaby sounding like a Harry Potter monster.

i always pictured a shadow as well... silent and deadly--but this was was more a dementor (eta: with legs) from harry potter... kinda comical to me, not scary... just my .02.

Part of me loves what HBO's done with the books (Robb's story, for example). And part of me is not loving it (silly dementors, etc).

In the books, there's a shadow and oh hey Stannis is dead.

In the show? From what I'm seeing... Blood, blood everywhere. I am very excited.

Stannis? The shadow killed Renly.

I liked the imagery, I disliked the noise - shadows don't make noise. Course...Ghosts didn't make noise either....

I too envisioned it as an actual shadow, this looked like an ink monster. The screeching was beyond stupid.

They definitely put some cash into it, no doubt about that. It looked as high quality as something from a movie, but I was disappointed with the interpretation.

Dude, can you ever not find something to complain about . How was the screeching stupid, also I would like to see you do it better .

i always pictured a shadow as well... silent and deadly--but this was was more a dementor (eta: with legs) from harry potter... kinda comical to me, not scary... just my .02.

Part of me loves what HBO's done with the books (Robb's story, for example). And part of me is not loving it (silly dementors, etc).

And how would it be better in your opinion since you seem such an expert at this ? For the budget they have it was pretty impressive but of course someone always has to bitch about everything .

Shivers on my spine, to be honest. It was kinda terrifying, and I surely know that someone who hasn't read the books was really surprised.

Why exactly are they going into some cave to kill Renly, when he is in a tent on an open field? I thought the scene was brilliantly done, but that aspect just seemed strange to me. They might have done it on the beach instead. I think it's even supposed to be underneath Storm's End in the show too, as Davos mentions that the bars weren't there the last time. (Or something to that effect.)

I liked it. I never envisioned it to look like some shadowy version of Stannis, despite what the text actually says, so I'm fine with something a bit more "poltergeist meets the smoke monster from Lost".

As for the screech, whatevs. It adds to the creepy factor, particularly for non-book viewers.

And how would it be better in your opinion since you seem such an expert at this ? For the budget they have it was pretty impressive but of course someone always has to bitch about everything .

Everyone's allowed an opinion. Drop the attitude and let people express what they liked and didn't like without shooting them down.

As for me, I loved the Shadowbaby! My heart was in my mouth the whole time. I was too engrossed in the scene to pick up on anything bad, the CGI was immense, and I thought the whole scene was brilliant.

Archived