[Book Spoilers] the shadow

turdle

It was okay. I guess it was much better than how I imagined it in my head. I envisioned it quite silly, so the show helped get that silly image out of my head. That's a good thing. This thing was creepy in the show, but I though the Mel birthing scene before that was much more creepy.

i think people definitely forget that not everything that works in the books will work on television. Ghost being silent is one of them and the shadow as it was in the books is another. This scene had to have a big effect on people who havent read the books.

i think people definitely forget that not everything that works in the books will work on television. Ghost being silent is one of them and the shadow as it was in the books is another. This scene had to have a big effect on people who havent read the books.

Because some black, shadowy form crawling its way out of some womans nethers, who wasn't pregnant the last time we saw her, isn't a big enough effect?

I thought it was great and it really did make it more real than in my imagination. I liked that it had more of a "body" and yet seemed to evaporate into nothing at the same time. The screeching I didn't even really notice to be honest. I think I was too wrapped up in what was happening visually to get distracted by any sounds. Every episode seemes to get better... can't wait for next week!

Didn't even notice the screeching. I also always pictured the shadow as literally a shadow. IIRC Catelyn only saw it as a shadow on the tent wall. That smoke monster would be hard to miss. Looked cool though.

I think this is how I imagined the shadow baby from the description in the books. I will have to dig that chapter up and re-read it but if I'm remembering correctly, the 'thing' is described as clawing its way out of her womb as a creeping shadow with no form, but then growing into the size of a full grown man before scattering back into a shadow which slips between the bars and vanishes upwards into the castle.

Loved it. Way better than just a 2 dimensional shadow on the floor or wall. And when it grabbed her legs to pull itself out... Damn.

And it was really, REALLY well made, too.

The screeching is a bit weird, but I dont mind. I just love the show for what it is.

I was concerned about this as it could have been very easy to cheapen the show had they skimped on the CGI for the shadow baby. I was pleasantly surprised, and like some others have already mentioned, I honestly didn't even notice the screeching.

I thought it was done to perfection. It's just killing me that they made this scene the cliffhanger of the week. My friends who haven't read the books are begging me to tell them what this is all about to the point that I might have to hide under a rock for the rest of the week.

I don't know, a regular shadow would have appeared too lame if one has the technology to do something a bit more sinister. It was a good scene, they managed to pass the sensations we feel when we read it from Davos' pov. And his simultaneous horror and draw to what was happening was too perfect not to mention. But it was gross, that much I admit, though it was fitting when we consider it was bringing death where usually life is made.

Anyway, I was surprised that was the cliffhanger, I had expected it to end with the shadow killing Renly.

the shoulda had the scene in renlys tent to end it... no reason for it to be moved to the next episode... scene was shot beautifuly but to people that don't watch the show its more of a wtf kinda show is this moment... to weird..

renly's death scene woulda been a better cliffhanger...

Dude, can you ever not find something to complain about . How was the screeching stupid, also I would like to see you do it better .

I have enjoyed every single episode, said many more positive things than negative, and gave this one an 8, so I don't know what you're talking about. You understand that a "discussion" will include more than just people saying ZOMG SO COOL, right?

The screeching was stupid, plain and simple. Everyone I've seen on twitter and sites where non-book readers discuss it have called it a smoke monster, which is exactly what it looked like. It is supposed be a shadow version of Stannis, a refection of him in the flame. The clawed fingernails and the Dementor-esque screeching did not convey the subtle creepiness of ASOIAF, or the unique, understated nature that magic has in the books. That was LOTR or Harry Potter, not ASOIAF.

Babies screech. That's what made it even more disturbing for me - this isn't just Stannis' shadow, it's Stannis' newborn child.

Yeah...if my baby ever sounds like an angry Nazgul swooping down to kill a Hobbit, I'm making an appointment with a pediatrician.

The screeching was stupid, plain and simple. Everyone I've seen on twitter and sites where non-book readers discuss it have called it a smoke monster, which is exactly what it looked like. It is supposed be a shadow version of Stannis, a refection of him in the flame. The clawed fingernails and the Dementor-esque screeching did not convey the subtle creepiness of ASOIAF, or the unique, understated nature that magic has in the books. That was LOTR or Harry Potter, not ASOIAF.

Maybe this is my own biases toward the grotesque coming to the forefront, but in reading the books (first in 2004, and 3 times since) I envisioned something along the lines of what was depicted on screen in this scene. Davos even describes at some point (I believe in ASOS) that Melisandre birthed "a horror." Yes, it ended up "just" being shadow Stannis, but its reveal lent the impression that it was something much more...vile. Or at least that's how I've always interpreted it.

As for the screech, to be honest it didn't bother me at all.

I do agree with the above poster who'd have rather the episode conclude with the shadow killing Renly in his tent. I was a bit taken aback that it didn't end that way.

Archived