[TV Spoilers] Joffrey in Episode 4

Fragile Bird

Perhaps because despite everything he's still a child and they need to convince us his fate is deserved. My husband, not a reader, was saying to me, "Please tell me Joffrey gets it, please..." So on that level it worked very well.

Yes I read all the books - several times, but reading something depraved, and seeing it on tv is very different. I do happen to think it's a bit too much in the books as well. I skipped over lots of chapters in ADWD because I dont want to read about Theon and him being skinned and having his privates torn off, it's just disgusting and it also puts me in a bad mood if I read it too often. I dont think it really adds to the storyline either in the books or on tv. One of the reasons I stopped reading Terry Goodkind and Sword of Truth series is because every book people are raped, mutilated, gang raped, eviscerated, etc etc. After you read that for days and days it actually makes you start thinking depraved and negative and people notice it.

I so agree Jakester. I love murder mysteries, but I have difficulty with a number of the very popular authors because their descriptions of what is done to women sounds like they are doing more than descibing horrific acts. It's like they are celebrating rape and mutilation - that might be too strong a word to use, but it has turned me off a number of best sellers. At least with George the Red Wedding built up it's horror, and with Theon we didn't see most of the aweful things done to him, we mainly see the deterioration of his psyche and his confidence. I have to admit, though, there are chapters I could only read piecemeal.

Seeing the Joffrey depictions makes me wonder how the RW and Theon will be presented.

Archived