[Book Spoilers] Mountain Out Of A Mole Hill

Craven Mummer

Oh, that's a shame. This Mountain was so unassuming that I thought he was some other character. Just stick him in the same armor at least, and shoot him strategically with baggy clothing when he's out of it. I just couldn't tell at all that was him.

"Going in another direction" seems like a mistake on HBO's part. I remember thinking and agreeing with others that the original Mountain was disappointing enough as a smaller actor than what's depicted in the books. This one is even smaller. We got used to the first Mountain's somewhat smaller than expected stature, and now we just have a tall basketball player looking guy filling the role. Even Xho's actor in Qarth who vouched for Dany looks larger and more imposing. That guy could probably kick this new Mountain's ass in a fist fight.

My distaste for the new Mountain isn't so much that he doesn't look like the book's description of the Mountain, it's that he doesn't act like it either. The Mountain is supposed to be terrifying. I wasn't even the tiniest bit fearful of this tall dude. I just can't understand why they bothered to keep the character when they aren't bothering to keep the personality and presence they spent time creating in season 1. I would have been happier if the Mountain just existed off-screen or even got killed off by Beric and Lorch took on his role.

It is nitpicking, but the new mountain was noticeably skinny; he really did look like a basketball player in plate armor, which the mountain from the first season and books is not.

The mountain really only has to do one scene later on, where he tells someone to shutup then tells how he did murder a women and her children as he kill someone else; other then that I only remember him being a plot device discussed by other characters.

The mountain really only has to do one scene later on, where he tells someone to shutup then tells how he did murder a women and her children as he kill someone else; other then that I only remember him being a plot device discussed by other characters.

He could have more scenes with Tywin. The books were light on him but the show can give us more insight.

The mountain has to do more acting in later seasons that is why they got rid of the old one. I don't mind it and most won't notice

Do you think this new Gregor is a noticeably better actor? I thought his scenes were very weak, and he seemed pretty wooden and boring to me. I immediately noticed the change..though most casual viewers may not have.

The new guy that was casted to be Gregor is tall enough, but he is not big enough. He looks weak if you compare him to Rory-Hound and that is not how it’s supposed to be…

It’s a little disappointing, but I guess it’s hard to find a huge 7 feet tall guy…

Rather disappointed as well. Conan was perfect. I'd love to see him back in season 3/4 for a particular scene, but I doubt that's going to happen as they probably don't want swap actors for every season. So for example Conan to Ian and then back to Conan again might be a bit confusing for non-bookers.

I always thought that Conan had to leave due to other commitments. Unless he is trying to make himself look like the good guy on his blog by blaming HBO when it was his own scheduling conflicts that made the difference...

Anyway, I really hope they are purposefully not showing too much of the new Mountain this season, so as to bring Conan back for the much more demanding physical needs on the Mountain in season 3 or 4.

Meh, it's not like the Mountain is a very layered character anyway. As long as they get an imposing guy who can scowl/growl a lot we'll be fine

Exactly. I would definitely prefer last season's Mountain -- but that being said, he just doesn't matter to me enough to worry about. As long as he's some big, scary guy -- he fits the roll. It's not like we need some great dramatic actor there.

The Mountain doesn't have much speaking lines in the books so what difference does it really make who plays him? He's just a thug in armor.

This.

He has so few lines. They could have pulled any massive guy off the street who could scowl and roar. Was disappointed myself, I feel like I could whale on this guy if need be.

No, you probably couldn't: http://www.ianwhyte.com/

He doesn't have Conan's physique, but really, it's not some massive loss to the show in the end.

As to what happened... I think it's more complicated than going another direction. I suspect he had hoped they'd fit their schedule around his shooting in NZ, and they simply couldn't do that, so "they went in another direction". That is, in any case, my speculation on that front. But just because HBO doesn't comment on such things doesn't mean that there isn't two sides to the story.

They should've left out the Mountain this season, have fun running around in the Riverlands or something. I hate it when a new actor plays the same character.

I miss the old mountain. In the books, this guy is legendary for his size and strength. That's how people identify him, and its a huge factor in my opinion. I mean this guy is suppose to just look at you wave his sword at you, and you are pretty much going to crap your pants.

I think they need the old mountain, and I also think Rorge and Biter are not as imposing or scary as they were in the books as well.

Isn't going to make or break the show though.

Archived