[Book Spoilers] Mountain Out Of A Mole Hill

Craven Mummer

What is this bullshit http://www.conanstev...-season-02.html

He says he was willing and ready to come back for season 2 and HBO decided to go in a different direction, a shitty one apparently.

Oh a link! Sure proof! Look dude, Conan isn't going to tell all and sundry that he screwed up and therefore got left out of season 2. But keep clicking on his hyperlinks on his page to support him and the yellow pages!

The new guy that was casted to be Gregor is tall enough, but he is not big enough. He looks weak if you compare him to Rory-Hound and that is not how it’s supposed to be…

Fuck. If only they could find that guy who portrayed every Predator in two of those movies...

It’s a little disappointing, but I guess it’s hard to find a huge 7 feet tall guy…

Seriously. Predator.

I always thought that Conan had to leave due to other commitments. Unless he is trying to make himself look like the good guy on his blog by blaming HBO when it was his own scheduling conflicts that made the difference...

Unpossible!

Or very likely. You decide.

Anyway, I really hope they are purposefully not showing too much of the new Mountain this season, so as to bring Conan back for the much more demanding physical needs on the Mountain in season 3 or 4.

Such as? Getting his ass kicked by a pretty boy with a spear?

Such as? Getting his ass kicked by a pretty boy with a spear?

Hmm...can one really say an ass was kicked when the ass that was kicked killed the kicker of the ass in the same fight?

This saddens me greatly, rumours came true. Be it as it may, scenes with the Mountain were very intense and memorable in the first season, this new one is more of a reed than a bull.

Hardly a hillock, let alone the Mountain.

Hmm...can one really say an ass was kicked when the ass that was kicked killed the kicker of the ass in the same fight?

One can say that, but one finds that pointless, pedantic, and beside the point. The point of the actor somehow needing "more demanding skills" for some reason.

ETA: Correction: "MUCH more demanding"

It was more than just Conan's size in S1, though; there was a real intensity to him when he lifted his visor and glared at Ser Hugh. He sold it in a way we didn't see last night. No disrespect intended to Ian Whyte, but I just don't see the fight with Oberyn working nearly as well.

The fight with Oberyn is something I think a lot of book readers would splooge in their pants over if it was done well. To do the books justice and be done well, IMO, you need a mountain, like Conan is.

I chuckled at the thread title...

And yes, this pseudo-Mountain was disappointing. The issue isn't that the new actor doesn't deliver his lines well or anything like that - but rather that Conan Stephens made such a vivid, lasting impression last season in his limited screen time. To see him replaced at all is frustrating as a viewer and frankly I was just hoping they would keep him off-screen. If (as Stephens claims) the decision not to bring him back was on D&D and not due to his filming schedule with the Hobbit, then shame on them.

No offense to Ian Whyte, he's really doing his best (that voice was pretty awesome), but I wouldn't have taken him for The Mountain That Rides unless Arya had pointed it out - only an extra tall Lannister goon.

And while it's not that much of a loss at the moment, it'd really mar the fight with Oberyn. For there we need the raging, migraine-stricken, monstrous Gregor and Conan showed he can channel that perfectly in S1.

I find it ironic that Ian Whyte is actually taller than Conan Stevens (by about .75 inches). But yeah, his shoulders are just not broad enough.

This could have been fixed easily, by putting Whyte in the same armor that Stevens wore for season 1. Screw the Lannister armor, keep that distinctive black enameled full plate, and I doubt anyone would ever have noticed the switch.

I find it ironic that Ian Whyte is actually taller than Conan Stevens (by about .75 inches). But yeah, his shoulders are just not broad enough.

This could have been fixed easily, by putting Whyte in the same armor that Stevens wore for season 1. Screw the Lannister armor, keep that distinctive black enameled full plate, and I doubt anyone would ever have noticed the switch.

This. As others have said I didn't even realise it was supposed to be Gregor Clegane before coming here, just some random soldier, because he didn't have any distinct armour. It wouldn't have compensated for the fact that the actor is not as large as the character is supposed to be, but it would have conveyed some sense that he is not just another extra, even though he doesn't have much to do at that point in the story anyway.

Just wanted to add I was let down by the lack of mass with the Mountain v2.0 as well. Hopefully we don't have to see too much of him (I don't believe we'll have to if they stick close to the source material as IIRC during most of Arya's chapters @ Harrenhall the Mountain was out raping and pillaging).

I feel like the Mountain won't show up much at all after this episode. He will leave to go raid the riverlands more, and try to attack Riverrun, which I am sure they won't show this season.

So I can easily see them replacing him with Conan again for next season, and I sincerely hope they do! He rocks.

I feel like the Mountain won't show up much at all after this episode. He will leave to go raid the riverlands more, and try to attack Riverrun, which I am sure they won't show this season.

Likely to occur, since Tywin is in Harrenhal now. Also, Arya's due to start naming names to Jaqen before long (presumably next week) and surely if the Mountain were still around he'd make the list.

I hope you all know that Conan Stevens who played The Mountain in season 1 is 7 feet 300+ pounds.

Some of you are saying he is small...are out of your minds. I know the Mountain is described as near 8 feet tall...but seriously, come on. There aren't even many people near that height in the entire world, never mind actors who are jacked.

Conan was perfect for this, and he seems genuinely upset and pissed off about it. He did say he would come back for Season 3 if they asked though! Hope so!

Archived