[Book Spoilers] Mountain Out Of A Mole Hill

Craven Mummer

Nope, not impressed with his size at all. Voice was meh as well. I don't care about his armor, but they could have added some padding to make him look more imposing and more like Conan in S1. It's not like it's real armor, so weight shouldn't have been an issue. Seriously, how difficult could that have been? Or wasn't it in the budget? Even if the extra padding was heavy, it's not like he had to dance a jig in his scene anyway.

Hmm...can one really say an ass was kicked when the ass that was kicked killed the kicker of the ass in the same fight?

And did it by grabbing the ass-kicker's head and continually smashing it? Hmmm....

Honestly this was the first casting decision that actually bothered me. Dude just has no presence whatsoever. And I agree that the effect was compounded by not having more imposing armor for him. He just seemed like Lannister Guard #5, but happened to be tall.

Honestly this was the first casting decision that actually bothered me. Dude just has no presence whatsoever. And I agree that the effect was compounded by not having more imposing armor for him. He just seemed like Lannister Guard #5, but happened to be tall.

Why did they put him in that Lannister guard junk? I thought he wore massive thick plane gray plate? Or is that just for tourneys and he dons the same uniform as lowly household Lannister guards the rest of the time?

Did everyone miss where they say, "That's him, the Mountain"?

Are you talking about Arya? Because no, the first time I watched the scene I did not hear her mumble that under her breath. Thus I had no idea the Lankmeister was a The Mountain.

No presence whatsoever as was previously stated. I agree. Some have said that the new actor has a great voice. Really? I rewatched last night and thought that as well as not being bulky enough that his voice was too thin and high also. First viewing I thought it was deeper also. Maybe Ill watch again.

The Hound is actually more imposing.

Brienne looks more massive than The Mountain now, maybe she should have done both parts.

Why did they put him in that Lannister guard junk? I thought he wore massive thick plane gray plate? Or is that just for tourneys and he dons the same uniform as lowly household Lannister guards the rest of the time?

He's wearing part of it. The gourget is definitely the one from Conan Steven's plate armor. But if you look closely, Ian just isn't broad enough. The full plate just wouldn't fit him.

• 4 weeks later...

Sooo, a little late to the discussion, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

I honestly feel for Ian Whyte. As someone else mentioned, having to climb into the shoes of Stevens' is no easy feat, especially after the performance he delivered last season. Nor can I blame him for wanting the role. After all, when someone is a starving actor, a role on a series like this can pay the bills and put food on the table. However, while I can understand wanting the role, he never should have been considered for it. That's the fault of whoever re-cast The Mountain the first place. Whoever did that should be bloody fired, imo. As others have mentioned, he just doesn't fit the role. He is/was supposed to be this overwhelming and brutally large/intense individual; this version of The Mountain, whatever attributes he may have, is not those things at all. (A lot of people have joked that he looks like a basketball player which is funny because Ian Whyte used to play professionally.)

Secondly, while everyone is entitled to their opinion- even the person who made the "bizarre" comment that recasting the Mountain was the equivalent of re-casting someone to play a predator for the Predator series- I have to respectfully disagree. As someone else noted, just because The Mountain doesn't have a lot of lines doesn't mean his presence isn't paramount in the series. He basically represents the viciousness and savagery that the Lannisters are willing to use to get what they want. His character is present and used in every book that has been released so far and his size is even more important come book 5. Given the short amount of time Conan had on screen last season, and given that he was able to deliver that intensity, anger and savagery, it just seems a beyond amateur move for the series to have made when they decided to replace him, especially with someone half Conan's width. As others have mentioned, given that many other characters are simply mentioned only in name this season, they could have easily just kept him out of this season and referred to him by name in passing and brought Stevens back in season 3.

What I personally find annoying now is that they're actually giving Whyte more lines than he actually had in the books too which solidifies the actor for this role. Just amateur all the way around when it comes to his character in this season.

Oh, and as an aside to whoever said that Conan and Rory don't look like brothers, save from the fact that I would disagree based on their fight in season 1, I would suggest watching this:

Archived