[Book Spoilers] Mountain Out Of A Mole Hill

Craven Mummer

Oh yes I always imagined the Tickler as looking very ordinary, I have no problem with the actor's appearance.

But the book gave me the impression that he acted and spoke in nothing like an ordinary manner. I always imagined the lines delivered flat without emotion, the questions coming relentless and without pause, with the Tickler not really caring what the answer even was. But that may just be the way I imagined the scenes through the filter of Arya's POV and many other people saw them differently.

I raged hard.

Conan is a big scary mofo, that guy looked like a white Yao Ming.

The Mountain never wore Lannister colors, and he had a distinctive helm. I hate the choice for of Lannister helms, they look like a bird trying to f*ck someone's face.

I think your particular vision of the Tickler isn't necessarily what's in the text, though. He's described as very ordinary, that he's just like any of the other soldiers, perhaps a little quieter than most. The matter-of-fact performance struck me as being perfectly in line. The guy smiles and all in ASoS, so it's not if he has no emotions. He's not inhuman, but he's an example of a kind of banal inhumanity. Or so it seems to me, anyways. Mileage may vary.

Is the name 'Tickler' mentioned? I missed it.

O well, this first scene in Harrenhal is a piece of Arya VI in CoK. They were in the village Gregor had captured.

So they moved it to Harrenhal.

Tickler keep asking about the brotherhood, and did'nt he say 'him'.

Non book readers are going to wonder what the heck that was all about.

Somehow seems they could have worked in some explanation of Beric Dondarrion and the Brotherhood Without Banners.

Else wise seems vague what is going on.

By the by The Lightning Lord is one of the strangest characters George creates, he saw Beric first episode but I wonder if they are going to skip over him or what in season 3?

Now that I've re-watched this episode a second time, I cannot believe how incredibly dissapointed I am with The Mountain. I did not realize how skinny he was until I saw the episode again. He looks ridiculous. Not intimidating at all. I remember seeing scenes last season with the mountain and thinking how scarry this guy looked and how he could probably rip your limbs off. This new actor... not so much. He looked ridiculous in his armor... tall and lanky... like Wilt Chamberlin in Conan.

He could have more scenes with Tywin. The books were light on him but the show can give us more insight.

Please, the material has suffered enough of their *insight*... Repeated, in your face, gay sex scenes with Loras and Renly, a Littlefinger who is way to out in the open and careless with his scheming, a tasteless, over the top, scene with Joffrey and some prostitutes which adds absolutely nothing of substance, I could go on ad nauseam... What *insight* have they provided? They've provided tasteless, mindless drivel...

I noticed something about the armor in this show. In early season 1, we see everyone in Tywin's army has "Lannister" armor. By the last episode, three men on his council had different armor, and capes with the colors of their houses. They did this with the northmen in Season 2, the lords have their houses symbols on their armor. For some reason, they did the opposite with Gregor. In season 1 his armor was just like it was in the books, but in season 2 they tack on a red cape and that dumb helmet, and voila he becomes just another Lannister lackey.

Also, I re-watched season 2. and I noticed that polliver has the same armor set that Vardis Egen (the knight killed by Bronn) had in season 1

Please, the material has suffered enough of their *insight*... Repeated, in your face, gay sex scenes with Loras and Renly, a Littlefinger who is way to out in the open and careless with his scheming, a tasteless, over the top, scene with Joffrey and some prostitutes which adds absolutely nothing of substance, I could go on ad nauseam... What *insight* have they provided? They've provided tasteless, mindless drivel...

I have to disagree; I love most of the "new" scenes. I hate the dumbing down of Littlefinger, and agree that the Joffrey scene last night was awful and gratuitous, but the rest have really added a lot to the story. Robert/Cersei, Tywin/Jaime, Yoren/Tyrion, and Jorah/Rakharo stand out from S1. And, as a straight man, I'm perfectly comfortable admitting I enjoyed the Renly/Loras scenes ("You did throw up when that knight lost his eye in the melee." "His whole eye was dangling out of the socket!").

Anyway, to get back on topic, I can actually imagine some good Tywin/Gregor interactions in council sessions this season. It's an opportunity to bring up Gregor's relationship with Sandor from a different perspective, reveal some background info on Elia and Aegon, and see what Tywin really thinks of his children. Tywin seems to have gained a healthy, if grudging, respect for Robb's martial prowess, as compared to his perpetual disappointment with his own children. There really are a lot of possibilities, especially with Arya in the room; making her Tywin's cupbearer not only streamlines the story, but it also gives us a glimpse into a side we barely see in the books. I relish the opportunity to see more of Tywin, especially with Charles Dance playing the part to perfection.

I wish Conan were still playing Gregor - besides the size, he had a real intensity in S1 that seems to be missing from him now - but I'm willing to see where it takes us.

I have to disagree; I love most of the "new" scenes. I hate the dumbing down of Littlefinger, and agree that the Joffrey scene last night was awful and gratuitous, but the rest have really added a lot to the story. Robert/Cersei, Tywin/Jaime, Yoren/Tyrion, and Jorah/Rakharo stand out from S1. And, as a straight man, I'm perfectly comfortable admitting I enjoyed the Renly/Loras scenes ("You did throw up when that knight lost his eye in the melee." "His whole eye was dangling out of the socket!").

Anyway, to get back on topic, I can actually imagine some good Tywin/Gregor interactions in council sessions this season. It's an opportunity to bring up Gregor's relationship with Sandor from a different perspective, reveal some background info on Elia and Aegon, and see what Tywin really thinks of his children. Tywin seems to have gained a healthy, if grudging, respect for Robb's martial prowess, as compared to his perpetual disappointment with his own children. There really are a lot of possibilities, especially with Arya in the room; making her Tywin's cupbearer not only streamlines the story, but it also gives us a glimpse into a side we barely see in the books. I relish the opportunity to see more of Tywin, especially with Charles Dance playing the part to perfection.

I wish Conan were still playing Gregor - besides the size, he had a real intensity in S1 that seems to be missing from him now - but I'm willing to see where it takes us.

I will agree that the Tywin/Jaime scene was a good addition, I will also agree that Jorah/Rakharo was another good addition that I overlooked, I'll throw another out there that I overlooked as well. The scene with Robert/Barristan/Jaime. The latter did a lot for viewers to portray Robert in a more honest light. I do disagree with Cersei/Robert, that's another example, imo, of cliche hollywood type drivel. The Tyrion/Yoren scene really just amounted to the two of them drinking and telling jokes. All in all, however, this still amounts to very little substance overall across all the additional scenes.

No idea why they had him not wear shoulder armor. When people complained that he was too skinny when he was casted, I dismissed them thinking the costume magicians could make him look as bulky as a bear. Apparently not though, as his lack of shoulderpads made him look somewhat pathetic.

Other than that though, I'm fine with it. Conan was the right size, but he looked nothing like Sandor and he looked half his age. Not an older brother. I guess you don't get much choice when it comes to 7 foot actors.

yeah, the miscasting of Gregor has been the only big fuckup in the show so far in my opinion. I missed where Arya refers to him as the Mountain on my first viewing, thought he was just a Lannister guard.

e:the miscasting in the 2nd season; the first guy was great. I knew who he was instantly.

I noticed something about the armor in this show. In early season 1, we see everyone in Tywin's army has "Lannister" armor. By the last episode, three men on his council had different armor, and capes with the colors of their houses. They did this with the northmen in Season 2, the lords have their houses symbols on their armor. For some reason, they did the opposite with Gregor. In season 1 his armor was just like it was in the books, but in season 2 they tack on a red cape and that dumb helmet, and voila he becomes just another Lannister lackey.

Also, I re-watched season 2. and I noticed that polliver has the same armor set that Vardis Egen (the knight killed by Bronn) had in season 1

Seems to be a budget thing they had Lannister armor around so piece something together for Gregor, since I don't think we are going to see much of Gregor this season, maybe not again, I don't know why they didn't just move the mountain 'off stage'.

By the by I like the Lannister armor, with the face plates closed it looks effective. Don't know if that an invention or the show got the design from historical armor, of which there is quite a variety.

I loved seeing Conan as Gregor, but considering to this point there hasn't been a lot of interaction with the character, not really too upset at the change.

Well, except for the joust scene and sword-fight from season one. ;)

I do hope they are able to get him back for the fight with the Red Viper next season (or the season after, however that plays out) and in the meantime perhaps limit the screen time with the stand-in. (No offense to the stand-in, of course.)

My father who looked forward to seeing the Mountain again this season didn't even recall seeing him this episode when I called and we discussed the show.

I didn't know until I saw it on the forums. I assumed that guy was just an extra playing a Lannister man.

Archived