[Book Spoilers] Nitpick without repercussion!

teemo

My nitpicks:

- Again, the intro didn't match the locations of the episode. It's like they are not even trying.

- The Mountain is deflated.

- Dany needs to start acting thougher and fast.

- Davos and Melissandre sneak into a cave...to reach Renly' camp which is on a open field. Did they film that scene before cutting Storm' End out of the show?

- Another long, useless scene featuring Ros.

1. No peach. Though he was reaching for one in the tent, but it was only an apple. Bah. Then no peach. Stannis agonizes over that one for the rest of the series.

2. The Tickler's questions. Make them right, dammit. Where is Lord Beric? We have no idea since Season 1.

3. Shadowbaby should have looked like Stannis, kinda. And been silent.

4. Mel's onion story. Have we been told why Dave is the Onion Knight yet?

5. Tyrion sending Joff whores. (Another thread).

6. Arya's hitlist. Get it right! "Ser Ilyn. Queen Cersei, etc.."

Seriously, he's the Hound, not a bellhop.

this is becoming one of the most disappointing aspects of the show for me, this Hound is definitely not The Hound of the book...who is supposed to be abrasive, obnoxious, and extremely TALKATIVE! so much to the point you wish he'd shut the hell up after a while, lol

and their failing with The Hound can't be attributed to budget limitations and time restraints and whatever other excuses they throw out there, just lazy writing, give him a few of those great brash lines from the book to at least enhance his character a bit! and at least 'try' to act the part, it's not that difficult to act like a loudmouthed jerk!

I assume the hound is quiet because they cast him poorly. I gave up hope on him as a character when Littlefinger told the story about him getting burned instead of him doing it himself. Maybe he will come around in season 3 when he is on the road with Arya, she is by far the best of the child actors they cast.

They should tell Davos and Stannis story in greater detail. The TV only watcher would have gotten more out of the scene on the boat which mentioned the knuckles and the scene on the rowboat which mentioned onions if the show had already told that story. I don't think they made it clear why Davos trusts Stannis or is so loyal to him yet either.

Another noteworthy and I believe unsustainable nitpick!

Not addressing characters by name;

in the show, I am not sure, correct if wrong, but has anybody uttered the words...

Dolorous Edd?

In season 2,

Lancel?

Gregor Clegane (only referred to as The Mountain)

Rakharro?

Probably some others, but I know non-readers who have been watching and say "who's that again?" or "That's Gendry right?" ***WRONG***

I just feel characters who are nameless are far less memorable, but I know who they are, and have to explain to others.

I have tried to direct them to online viewers guides, with an overwhelmingly *meh*.

I guess I'm too fanboy for some of my friends/colleagues!

No, I mean they might have Catelyn release him really early, like within the next couple episodes and before she finds out about the "deaths" of Bran and Rickon.

They can save themselves here a bit. If Cat leaves Bitterbridge determined to keep hold of Jaime, cussing out LF for a cur, trying to weaken Robb's position. Only to be overcome with grief after hearing of B&R's death and out of desperation she clings to the hope that Tyrion will be the honourable imp and do the right thing if she delivers Jaime. Cat slams the door in LF's face. But chooses to open it for her own reasons later.

A reasonable slavaging of Cat's independant mind.

1. No peach. Though he was reaching for one in the tent, but it was only an apple. Bah. Then no peach. Stannis agonizes over that one for the rest of the series.

2. The Tickler's questions. Make them right, dammit. Where is Lord Beric? We have no idea since Season 1.

3. Shadowbaby should have looked like Stannis, kinda. And been silent.

4. Mel's onion story. Have we been told why Dave is the Onion Knight yet?

5. Tyrion sending Joff whores. (Another thread).

6. Arya's hitlist. Get it right! "Ser Ilyn. Queen Cersei, etc.."

He saved Stannis life, basically. After being under siege for a year, eating rats, etc, Davos took it upon himself to smuggle a shipment of onions and other items, to Stannis. When he was made a Lord, he took the Onion for his sigil.

Everyone seemed to already hit on all of my nitpicking, except for one thing I haven't seen anyone mention.

It seems like everyone knows about Renly and Loras. It just doesn't seem right. I didn't even really notice their relationship in the book. Also, it removes any question about if Margaery is still a maiden. If everyone in Westeros seems to know Renly is gay then it isn't too hard to prove Margaery is a maiden.

Another noteworthy and I believe unsustainable nitpick!

Not addressing characters by name;

in the show, I am not sure, correct if wrong, but has anybody uttered the words...

Dolorous Edd?

In season 2,

Lancel?

Gregor Clegane (only referred to as The Mountain)

Rakharro?

Probably some others, but I know non-readers who have been watching and say "who's that again?" or "That's Gendry right?" ***WRONG***

I just feel characters who are nameless are far less memorable, but I know who they are, and have to explain to others.

I have tried to direct them to online viewers guides, with an overwhelmingly *meh*.

I guess I'm too fanboy for some of my friends/colleagues!

At least Polliver got a mention. Though he was the least active of the Mountain's entourage, of those who obviously appeared on screen.

- Randomly throwing out "born amidst smoke and salt". Where's the context for that? Means absolutely nothing to the characters on Renly's side, or the uninitiated viewer. Simply served as a set up line for the ham come back. Funny I totally forgot about the peach, but that would have been vastly superior to smoke+salt=ham..

Why couldn't someone have come to Renly and just said "Stannis has laid siege to Storm's End, and is demanding a parlay." And then the convo with Davos and Mel could have included the whole need to get "inside" the walls of Storm's End for her magic to work. No need to even CGI the actual castle, just a mention will do. All of 15 seconds of dialogue (which could have been given space by having 15 seconds less of Joff and the 2 whores) which would have put much more narrative context to the parlay.

yes, way too many people know about Renly/Loras. Those guys at the beginning of the show should know nothing about that. I guess it's to remind us that THEY'RE GAY!!!

Oh, and it was really, really ridiculous how Renly was criticizing Stannis' banners and how things would get confusing if they used the same banner....um, Renly, your banners are not even Baratheon colors, and that doesn't even look like a stag.

Everyone seemed to already hit on all of my nitpicking, except for one thing I haven't seen anyone mention.

It seems like everyone knows about Renly and Loras. It just doesn't seem right. I didn't even really notice their relationship in the book. Also, it removes any question about if Margaery is still a maiden. If everyone in Westeros seems to know Renly is gay then it isn't too hard to prove Margaery is a maiden.

That's not too big of a deal, except that Renly himself keeps trying to deny it. Cersei knows Renly is gay, but is still convinced that he did his duty by his wannabe queen, because, well, it's his duty as king to get himself an heir, even a gay king. It's not like no gay man ever has had sex with a woman.

At least Stannis is not bald. I wasn't looking forward to that.

Miss the peach. I recently read that scene to my tweens. (Don't call Social Services on me: I skip most references to sex and rape and some of the violence and language.)

Agree with everyone who said prostitute beating scene took time away from other actual scenes from the book that could have been staged for no apparent additional cost. I mean, if it's nudity that's wanted, give us a real sex scene with some other invented characters why don't cha? If you need to get viewers to hate Joffrey more, let's have him target-practice with rabbits. And doesn't he catapult people from the walls in the book? Or kill them when they come begging for bread?

I want more battle scenes, however expensive, I admit it.

Archived