[Book Spoilers] Stannis

How do people view Stannis in this episode? I found him, in the previous episodes, not what I wanted since he was my favorite character in the books. In "Garden of Bones" though he, in my opinion fills up to the expectation and the style that I perceived from the books. He seemd cold and calculated, richeous and just and all of the other qualities I learned to love. In the first few episodes though he seemed lustfull when it came to the prospect of being king and getting a son, which seemed off character to me. But now I think that he is being portrayed the way I personaly invisioned it.

I don't know. I can deal with it, I suppose, I just keep the books and the show totally separate in my mind.

The dysfunctional relationship between the Baratheons was one of my favorite elements of the books, and it just hasn't translated to the show. I can't claim to be happy with what they've done with Stannis, but I still enjoy the show.

I love the way Dillane portrays Stannis, so my issues with the differences are small. I too thought book-Stannis had no idea about the shadowbabies, but alas, it's more likely that he did know what Melisandre was up to. I don't mind really, he really is a blinding actor, I'm just disappointed there was no peach!

I love the way Dillane portrays Stannis, so my issues with the differences are small. I too thought book-Stannis had no idea about the shadowbabies, but alas, it's more likely that he did know what Melisandre was up to. I don't mind really, he really is a blinding actor, I'm just disappointed there was no peach!

I was totally waiting for the peach too! was disappointed about that. Renly did hold what i think was an apple when talking to Littlefinger in his pavillion but not the same.

I was totally waiting for the peach too! was disappointed about that. Renly did hold what i think was an apple when talking to Littlefinger in his pavillion but not the same.

I know! I thought that was a peach from the promo, but no :frown5:

Stannis isn't Ned. He's about duty, not honor, so it seems very much in character to do whatever it takes to claim the throne. After all, in his mind it's his throne that is being stolen and usurped.

I think the shadowbaby and his conversation with Davos (yeah you saved me but you were still a smuggler) should have helped establish him a bit better. And the grammar nazi bit was fantastic too.

He doesn't seem very honorable to me at all...

Stannis is more about justice than honor. He's always walked a fine line. He is a bastard in the non-literal sense and has always been such an awesomely flawed character in the books.

I really want to see what happens in the books if/when someone has a stronger claim to the throne than he does, if he will swear fealty after all that has happened.

Stannis gets better as the series goes on. He is one of a handful of characters that learns from mistakes and makes changes to his/her personality to actually become a better person.

Most characters in fantasy are flat. They go through the entire series without once ever making a meaningful change. Stannis is not one of them.

Thought he was OK at first. But now changed my mind. Not liking him so far. More of a whiny kid than the bad MFer from the books. Just think of the book confrontation with Renly, and compare with the show. He really looks and feels weak. And if there's one thing Book Stannis never allowed himself to look it was weak.

Archived