[BOOK SPOILERS] The Spice Merchant

Ramsay Gimp

The member of the Thirteen who greeted Dany at Qarth was nice little addition (or I think addition, I don't remember him being in the books). The silly mannerisms, high shrill voice and increasingly dismissive attitude made his reception of Dany fun to watch

I did enjoy the exchange - it was a little bumpy, but the way he downplays her importance was great. It builds a little relationship for Dany & Xaro that might not have othewise made sense, Yeah, stating his whole name was awkward, but compared to how many times we have heard "I am Dany....etc, etc..." it was ok for me.

Pyat Pree is in the background, the skinny dude with the bald head and the purple lips.

I don't know if that was Pyat Pree (he's not one of the Thirteen in the books) - but whoever that guy (gal?) was, he looked creepy. He looked straight out of Nosferatu.

I don't know if that was Pyat Pree (he's not one of the Thirteen in the books) - but whoever that guy (gal?) was, he looked creepy. He looked straight out of Nosferatu.

It is Pyat Pree, confirmed by previous casting information.

I don't mind that, as it's showing a society devoted to ritual and custom -- it's all rather Byzantine. Loved othe Spice King, and yes, his correction is perfect -- a perfect example of Qartheen attitudes.

He reminded me of Varys.

I'd have preferred it if he sounded foreign, though. Qarth is supposed to be pretty alien compared to Westeros but this guy speaks the common tongue better than all of the nobles in the Seven Kingdoms.

Mayhaps this is a nitpick, but they had the Dothraki speaking a whole other language last season, which just made them feel so much more real. I feel as if Qarth is going to be a cartoon comedy land.

He reminded me of Varys.

I'd have preferred it if he sounded foreign, though. Qarth is supposed to be pretty alien compared to Westeros but this guy speaks the common tongue better than all of the nobles in the Seven Kingdoms.

Mayhaps this is a nitpick, but they had the Dothraki speaking a whole other language last season, which just made them feel so much more real. I feel as if Qarth is going to be a cartoon comedy land.

Especially since High Valarayian will be prominent in the next few sesaons and is essential at Astapor with Dany's plan, I would like a language invented for it.

I really liked that guy. No idea if they truly cut the Pureborn, but the society of Qarth will still be somewhat complex. The sorcerers apparently are still no part of the ruling body, and I'm also not that Xaro will be an entirely different character. He may be a Summer Islander (as is Salladhor in the series), but he still strikes me as somewhat effeminate. And despite his clearly more effeminate behavior, book Xaro really has steel beneath all his silks. He is one of the wealthiest man in Qarth, and he is also daring and willing to risk something if he smells a profit.

But I agree that all the symbolism was lost when they decided to drop the three seekers. This would have still be a great way to introduce the key players of Qarth. And they still could have created tension by letting the Qartheen bar Dany's entrance despite the fact that she was accompanied by Xaro, Pyat, and Quaithe.

Archived