[BOOK SPOILERS] The Spice Merchant

Ramsay Gimp

He reminded me a bit of Ian McNeice in Baron Harkonnen for some reason. Maybe it was the desert setting.

Just would like to clarify if this is a typo, because being the Dune lover that I am, Ian McNeice was certainly not Baron Harkonnen...

Maybe you meant Ian or the Baron?

Edit:

Dany needs a heart plug.

Just would like to clarify if this is a typo, because being the Dune lover that I am, Ian McNeice was certainly not Baron Harkonnen...

Maybe you're not the Dune lover you profess, cause Ian McNeice certainly was Baron Harkonnen, just not in the 80's movie.

Ahh I see, my bad. I loved the novels and the film but I did'nt see any of the series. Guess I should do more homework.

Not to hijack the thread, but it's worth it. They're not perfect, but worth it nevertheless. Second series a combo of Messiah/Children. Pretty. Paul's weirding way is sweet.

The "Spice Merchant" was a great character and it looked like the actor was enjoying hamming it up. Much better than Xaro.

"The greatest city that ever was or ever will be"

He could have played Syrio Forel and changed that to I'm "The greatest swordsman that ever was or ever will be."

Not Florios personality of course.

Baron Harkonnen, yes!

He reminded me of Varys.

I'd have preferred it if he sounded foreign, though. Qarth is supposed to be pretty alien compared to Westeros but this guy speaks the common tongue better than all of the nobles in the Seven Kingdoms.

Mayhaps this is a nitpick, but they had the Dothraki speaking a whole other language last season, which just made them feel so much more real. I feel as if Qarth is going to be a cartoon comedy land.

yeah, because it's so easy to just make up languages each season for new cities. of course it would be amazing if they did, but it doesn't seem practical.

Especially since High Valarayian will be prominent in the next few sesaons and is essential at Astapor with Dany's plan, I would like a language invented for it.

I agree, I think the idea that Dany will learn High Valarayian in addition to Dothraki can't be better illustrated by inventing the new language.

yeah, because it's so easy to just make up languages each season for new cities. of course it would be amazing if they did, but it doesn't seem practical.

They don't have to make up any more languages after these two. Besides, like early S1 the language itself doesn't have to be extensively spoken in the episodes themselves. Like in this scene we're talking about, English worked because it can be easily assumed they spoke to Dany in the common tongue for her benefit.

Archived