[book spoilers] No Storms End = No Edric Storm?

David bc

I had assumed the Edric Storm plot would be cut after they cut Stannis' daughter, but now it seems to have been confirmed. I guess exposition-wise this would have been difficult to set up for the TV only audience... But it does mean the Davos's plotline will get trimmed a little in the next seasons.

Edric doesn't need to appear yet. If they want to bring him in later a couple of lines of dialogue would be enough ("We have Robert's bastard, the one Renly was hiding"..."That boy has a name...").

I also don't think Shireen has been written out per se, because during their parley Stannis states Renly would be his heir until a son is born to him, not a child. She's unmentioned and might not be there but she's not explicitly gone unless I missed it.

D + D are quoted as saying there is some characters from book 2 that they didn't introduce in season 2 that they are just "delaying" until season 3, to not introduce too many characters at once to an already huge cast.

I'm sure Edmure is one of those characters, he has to be for the R W to make sense unless they majorly rework it; also Shireen, Selyse and Edric could be in this list, although Edric is has a minor role and there are other Robert's bastards running around who don't effect the line of succession, so who knows.

Val's fear of Shireen and her telling Jon that grayscale goes dormant and cannot be cured (ADWD) seems potentially important. Though Shireen herself may not be important, the information seems to be, if they write Shireen out, you wonder what would be the catalyst for Val to share this information with Jon or who else they might decide to reveal the information through. Then again, none of the material of this nature from the books seems to make it's way into the show anyway, the prophecies, back story, etc... Seems they might cut it out altogether.

Isn't Davos smuggling Melisandre to Storm's End in this latest episode (Garden of Bones)? I was under the impression that they are merging Renly's murder and the smuggling of Melisandre into Storm's End to kill Cortnay Penrose? Otherwise, they are altering the chronology of ACoK.

I had assumed the Edric Storm plot would be cut after they cut Stannis' daughter, but now it seems to have been confirmed. I guess exposition-wise this would have been difficult to set up for the TV only audience... But it does mean the Davos's plotline will get trimmed a little in the next seasons.

Frankly I never cared for George's exposition about Storm's End , seemed a useless loop to me.

I'm quite sure that they will introduce Edric Storm as Stannis's ward in season 3. They can't just write Stannis, Mel, and Davos out for about 15 episodes or so and have him then pop up again magically at the Wall. Stannis will have to do something during season 3 (if ASoS is going to be two seasons, he can't decide to go to the Wall in season 3!), and the only plot for him in the book is the whole plot around Edric Storm. They will also include Shireen, Selyse, and Axell Florent in season 3. They have to give us the two factions (Davos and the King's Men, and Melisandre and the Queen's Men) vying for Stannis's soul after he has lost the battle. This is his story.

I can't see them making up something out of the blue, since Stannis will be utterly defeated on the Blackwater. And showing us Stannis grind his teeth for two seasons will become quite boring.

Actually, the whole Dragonstone cast will be most likely flashed out quite thoroughly during seasons 3-4. They did not give us all that much background on Stannis, Davos, and Mel during the last four episodes, but since they knew that those characters will be around at least until TWoW there is still time.

D + D are quoted as saying there is some characters from book 2 that they didn't introduce in season 2 that they are just "delaying" until season 3, to not introduce too many characters at once to an already huge cast.

I'm sure Edmure is one of those characters, he has to be for the R W to make sense unless they majorly rework it; also Shireen, Selyse and Edric could be in this list, although Edric is has a minor role and there are other Robert's bastards running around who don't effect the line of succession, so who knows.

I'm hoping that Jojen and Meera are ones they are saving for Season 3... I can't imagine Bran's story without them!!

Edric is no relevant. He has no real role and leaves Westeros. Stannis' daughter and wife are also not relevant yet.

Unless Edric ends up with the Iron Throne at the end of the series. Then he'll be about as relevant as you can get. :) GRRM said it would be someone we wouldn't expect, and Edric makes a lot more sense than some of the guesses I've heard.

Personal fringe theories aside, Edric is a very important part of Stannis' story arc in ASoS, so I can't imagine HBO would cut him from the show entirely. More likely he's one of the characters who'll be introduced later than they were in the books, just like Edmure, the Reeds, Ramsay Bolton, etc.

I agree that it would be no problem to introduce Edric at season 3.

In fact, the Dragonstone crew will have very little to do during S3. If we agree that Joffrey's death is in S4, then Davos won't be able to smuggle Edric away until S4.

So I'm thinking that perhaps, once Davos is let out of her cell, they could have Stannis give him the assignment of looking for one of his brother's bastard that lives in Storm's End. After he smuggles the boy out of the castle, Stannis would name him Hand as a reward. But then he realises that Melisandre pretends to sacrifice him to the Lord of Light.

Unless Edric ends up with the Iron Throne at the end of the series. Then he'll be about as relevant as you can get. :) GRRM said it would be someone we wouldn't expect, and Edric makes a lot more sense than some of the guesses I've heard.

Personal fringe theories aside, Edric is a very important part of Stannis' story arc in ASoS, so I can't imagine HBO would cut him from the show entirely. More likely he's one of the characters who'll be introduced later than they were in the books, just like Edmure, the Reeds, Ramsay Bolton, etc.

pretty much this right here, and I'll also put my personal fringe theories aside about Ramsey holding the iron thron........never mind

With the bastard children killing scene they've already done, I am wondering if they're just going to cut Edric Storm, as well as Maya Stone (she's at the Eyrie remember) and only focus on Gendry as the remaining 'Robert spawn of interest' for the television show. And if so, what are the implications of that for the story we haven't yet read in the books? I think most of us secretly hoped at least one of Robert's bastards would end up surfacing as a contender to the throne even if they don't successfully get it. In all likelihood they are probably just side plots meant to keep you guessing and therefore not as relevant to the story playing out for the series, which has to be much more direct and abbreviated from the books.

Now Edric in particular seems important, I agree. He's the only bastard with a Noble Mother, who Robert acknowledged openly (Varys sent the boy a nameday gift every year). The struggles Melisandre goes through with Stannis over this boy are frequent in the book. She wants to sacrifice him (blood of a king) for one of her twisted power rituals (waking dragons no less haha!), and Stannis won't have it. The whole reason she went down in the cave under Storm's End and birthed that shadow demon was to kill off Cortnay Penrose (the Castellan of Storm's End) who was holed up in the castle protecting Edric Storm. I really felt it made the whole shadow baby scene more confusing at least to those of us who knew the book plot because they left out the entire reason they were sieging Storm's End in the first place!

Now granted, the end of this episode is just showing the shadow 'baby' being birthed and dispersing inside the cave... so we have no idea where its going. Maybe they are in fact going to introduce Edric (if not as a cast character at least in name) next week if there's any mention of Storm's End at all? Ugh I'm SO CONFUSED.

Archived