[Book Spoilers] I´m starting to love Tywin Lannister

Thunderfist

Tywin Lannister is a big douche, probably the biggest douche in the ASoIaF universe.

But damn, Charles Dance is rocking it as Tywin Lannister in every effing scene. His presence in each situation, his appearance in full armor and his stone-faced expressions. You can really feel the enormous amount of fear and respect that everyone has for Tywin. So hats off to Charles Dance, I am already 100% certain that I will miss him.

The man seems to "radiate" orders by just walking...I loved his presence from his first scene in S1 and his premiere in this episode was astonishingly commanding. The directors and the cast do an incredible job of portraying the characters with every screen second, even when they don't speak.

Is Dance so much tall IRL?

I think he's perfect and Tywin is a badass.

I always read his chapters and every conversation he has more than once because he's so on point and ruthless.

this dude playing Tywin kicked ass last season and same story until that overrated little Imp that should have been long dead shoots him in the gut.

I think he needs to be more of an elitist. I think the guy playing him is perfect though. He is too likable, when I always thought he was a smart, elitist, overly proud prick.

This is what's beautiful about bringing these characters to life. The actors dig deep and bring truths about the character to the surface. These are traits that the written word cannot convey. Tywin may seem like an elitist to readers, but Dance gives him a dimension of dignity and respect.

I agree. I mentioned this in the episode 4 thread how I don't approve of this newly discovered liking I might have for Tywin. :D I feel wrong just typing it. Tywin is one of the characters I truly disliked in the books and I cheered when he died. Literally. Damn it all though, because Dance is just downright magnificent as Tywin Lannister. The way he rode into Harrenhal on his horse... :cool4: Then he starts showing peeps how shit gets done. I think Tywin is a character who really benefited from the show adaptation, imo.

Nah, Tywin isn't a monster. He's ruthless, harsh and a hypocrite, but he isn't a monster. Even the things he does to Tyrion come from his longing to restore the Lannisters to greatness. He understands that lesser men (and girls) have their place in the grand scheme of things and uses them all in his game.

Funny you should mention last season; my favourite single scene in terms of defining a character was Jaime and Tywin's first scene. Charles Dance absolutely NAILED that character in that scene, one that wasn't from the book no less.

Tywin seems way to nice in season 2. Those are his dogs, he lets them off his leash, I don't see Lord Tywin Lannister coming to the aid of a peasant, nor do I see him taking a peasant girl for cupbearer. He is Tywin Lannister, he is accompanied by an entourage of servants wherever he goes, he does not need scum to serve him!

Tywin seems way to nice in season 2. Those are his dogs, he lets them off his leash, I don't see Lord Tywin Lannister coming to the aid of a peasant, nor do I see him taking a peasant girl for cupbearer. He is Tywin Lannister, he is accompanied by an entourage of servants wherever he goes, he does not need scum to serve him!

I don't think they were scum... they looked like it because of the way they were being treated & the conditions they were living it at Harenhal, but they were villagers and potential Night's Watch people. People captured, some with skills as Tywin pointed out.

I want to hate him, bc I know how he is in the books... but he saved Gendry, so that makes it super hard now!

If liking Tywin Lannister is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Rooting for Tywin Lannister is like rooting for Goliath to defeat David or for the House to win at Blackjack. Its shallow, its easy and its completely fucking awesome.

Tywin Lannister was the only thing that is holding this realm together right now

and when Tyrion gets all bitchy at the end of book 3 that theroy becomes a stark, raving reality.

Tywin is commanding, deeply effective; strong, smart (as Dan says in Deadwood about Al Swearengen, "No, Johnny, Al's really fucking smart."), calculating, cold and intollerant of incompetence. What does that sound like to you? Oh, that's right, it sounds like somebody capable of winning a war, keeping a peace and ruling a kingdom. In other words, Tywin Lannister is every enemies worst nightmare and every allies darkest wish. You hate him as an enemy and desire him as a friend. Ask all the winners what its like to treat with Tywin Lannister

In other words ask -as of the end of Book 5 -the Warden of the North Roose Bolton and the Lord of the Riverlands, Walder Frey what its like to make common cause with Tywin Lannister. Then ask the current Hand of the Seven Kingdoms Mace Tyrell and the current Lord of Ships Paxter Redwyne what its like to go over to Tywin. And when you are done doing that ask EVERY SINGLE PERSON who made common cause with Robb Stark what its like following a man that cannot keep his word. How'd that work out for them?"

That's the key here- from Robert Baratheon all the way to the series with Arya Stark, ask all of them what its like to work and live with Tywin Lannister. He's mean (boo). He's cruel (Whaa! Whaa!...) and he says bad things about his kids (cry.me.a.river.). And he's possibly the most capable leader in the books/series.

Dance is terriffic because he bring sthat reality to life in words and actions. He's Tywin made flesh. And when you see all that come together, in the immortal words of Colonel Jessup, "And (his) existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want (him) on that wall, you need (him) on that wall."

And finally: "Because you need me, (Westeroes). Your guilty conscience may force you to vote (Stark), but deep down, you secretly long for a cold-hearted (Lannister) to lower taxes, brutalize criminals and rule you like a king. "

That's why you love Tywin Lannister. Because you know he's right.

Tywin (book and show) is a selfish utilitarian. He plays his game making the optimal use of every piece presented before him, seeing right through to any potential use they might have and then taking advantage of it. The only exception to this is in the case of Tyrion, where Tywin is so blinded by his own emotions that he can't see the usefulness of his son.

As far as taking Arya as a cupbearer, that *might* be out of character for him. I feel that he wants to present an image of prestige and would thus not pick someone off the street to serve as his cupbearer. The rest, though, makes sense. He knows that his captives can be put to use around Harrenhal--they're stuck in a giant ruined castle with an army at war. There's more work to be done than everyone there combined could accomplish, and killing off those extra hands for little gain is foolish.

He is teaching one his top management skills. "People have skills, find out what they are and put them to work." While doing this it occurs to him to show an example of this. You dolt's can't see that this is a girl and she has the skill of going unnoticed. "Hmm, girl, her age, good diction, goes unnoticed, could be a servant. That cupbearer of mine is ready to be promoted to squire. Bingo. Job done. Onto the next item on my agenda.

Archived