[Book Spoilers] Project: Screen-time of Characters

teemo

I did a little/lot research and have the approximate amount of screen-time for each major character, and some minor ones. Speaking isn't necessary to get minutes, you just have to be on-screen. I'm not claiming it's perfect, but it's pretty damn close. I would also like to keep continuing this in the future, because it's pretty interesting.

THIS IS TOTAL AMOUNT OF SCREEN-TIME FROM EPISODES 1-4

Tyrion Lannister - 35:26

Arya Stark - 24:31

Petyr Baelish/Littlefinger - 22:13

Varys - 22:13 (seriously, same as LF)

Davos Seaworth - 22:01

Theon Greyjoy - 19:00

Melisandre - 18:32

Gendry* - 18:07

Stannis Baratheon - 16:40

Cersei Lannister* - 16:22

Jon Snow - 16:06

Renly Baratheon - 15:04

Catelyn Stark - 15:03

Daenerys Targaryen - 14:03

Joffrey Baratheon - 13:50

Robb Stark - 13:23

Sansa Stark - 11:38

Ros - 11:00

Brienne Tarth - 10:15

Loras Tyrell - 9:16

Margaery Tyrell - 9:08

Shae - 8:32

Grand Maester Pycelle - 8:17

Asha/Yara Greyjoy - 8:05

Samwell Tarly - 7:38

Balon Greyjoy - 7:34

Bran Stark - 7:15

Xaro Xhoan Daxos - 5:58

Sandor Clegane/The Hound* - 5:04

Jaime Lannister - 3:29

Roose Bolton - 2:13

Tywin Lannister - 2:13

UPDATE: added Sandor Clegane, Balon Greyjoy, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Tywin Lannister, Gendry, Samwell Tarly, and fixed Cersei Lannister's.

*Cersei - fixed her time, I was four minutes under.

*Gendry - highly inflated because he spends all of his time with Arya. He speaks very little. The vast majority of his dialogue was in the scene between him and Arya about her true gender/name.

*The Hound - has only had 3 lines so far.

If you are interested in me adding to this next week and the weeks after, please like this post so I know it's not all for nothing. Thanks :)

Poor Nikolaj , he has already complained about this in a good natured way.

As I remember, in this novel, Jamie just does not get a lot of page time.

In SoS he and Brienne get quite a lot.

Yep Jaime doesn't become a major character til the third book. Without the Reeds, Bran's story doesn't get going until Theon captures Winterfell, which probably will be in the next two episodes, same with Dany - can't wait for the House of the Undying - they better not cut it, but the firat apperance of Pyat Pree last episode shows they probably won't.

LF and Varys are getting too much time imo. I'm okay with Tyrion because he is the most central character in the 2nd book.

Less Littlefinger. No Ros. A little less Robb. More Hound/Sansa and Cat would make it better so far, IMO.

Bran will shine with Theon, but if they don't have Meera/Jojen I'm going to be pissed. Reek is also major. All of Ros means none of them and it's grating.

Characters who has had too much screen time IMO (names in bold WAY TOO MUCH screen time):

Daenerys Targaryen - 13:63

Robb Stark - 12:83

Why Jaime? He has no story, shouldn't have had any screen time. 3:29 wasted that they could have used to flesh out the Hound, for instance.

LF and Ros WTF!

I might have included Joffrey in the list, except the actor is so good.

Characters who has had too much screen time IMO (names in bold WAY TOO MUCH screen time):

Why Jaime? He has no story, shouldn't have had any screen time. 3:29 wasted that they could have used to flesh out the Hound, for instance.

LF and Ros WTF!

I might have included Joffrey in the list, except the actor is so good.

If the LF was like the LF in the book it would be one thing, but this LF is terrible. he isn't sarcastic, he has no humor, he isn't witty, he has very little swagger, he doesn't seem sly, everything he is says seems blunt.. God I hate the actor. His voice bothers me and he can't remember what accent he should be speaking in

Another thing about LF's character in the book is that part of the mystery to him is we don't know what he's doing when he's off screen. In A Clash of King's we don't know what he's doing when he goes to Highgarden, and it makes it all the more surprising when he helps broker the alliance.

In A Storm of Swords, I personally had no idea he was the one who was behind Joff's murder and Sansa's escape.

I don't like what they are doing with the character

Littlefinger definitely has too much screen time; I'm fine with Varys though because that actor is amazing and is exactly the way I thought Varys would be. I tend to just ignore Ros (although that was impossible last night) so whatevs on that count.

Otherwise though, it all looks fairly reasonable. Although, seeing Tyrion's screen time stand out so far from anyone else's, reinforces my belief that HBO should've submitted Peter Dinklage's name for a Best Actor emmy, not another Supporting Actor one. Guess they want him up against easier competition.

Arya is really getting alot of screen time, despite not showing up til the last second of the first episode. And her screen time has been good.

Littlefinger is overexposed and being used poorly. Compare him to the Spider, who's screen time has been wonderful and efficient.

The show needs to give Sansa and the Hound a good five minute scene.

Shae's screen time feels like its been twice as long. Danny's feels twice as short.

Littlefinger is overexposed and being used poorly. Compare him to the Spider, who's screen time has been wonderful and efficient.

Yeah, I don't know where the hell they're trying to go with him, but this season he's really been one of the series' catastrophic failures.

Done a little/lot research and have the approximate amount of screen-time for each major character, and some minor ones. Speaking isn't necessary to get minutes, you just have to be on-screen. I'm not claiming it's perfect, but it's pretty damn close. I would also like to keep continuing this in the future, because it's pretty interesting. Ros getting more screen-time than Sansa and Bran stuck out to me.

THIS IS TOTAL AMOUNT OF SCREEN-TIME FROM EPISODES 1-4

Tyrion Lannister - 35:26

Arya Stark - 24:31

Varys - 22:13 (seriously, same as LF)

Davos Seaworth - 22:01

Theon Greyjoy - 19:00

Melisandre - 18:32

Stannis Baratheon - 16:40

Jon Snow - 16:06

Catelyn Stark - 15:03

Daenerys Targaryen - 14:03

Joffrey Baratheon - 13:50

Robb Stark - 13:23

Cersei Lannister - 12:50

Sansa Stark - 11:38

Brienne Tarth - 10:15

Shae - 8:32

Grand Maester Pycelle - 8:17

Asha/Yara Greyjoy - 8:05

Bran Stark - 7:15

Roose Bolton - 2:23

Adjusting these to correct min:sec... looks like Sansa has a few seconds more than Ros after all. Not that it matters, 11 minutes of Ros is 11 minutes too many.

That SNL skit is becoming less and less of an exaggeration.

Wow. Ros has more screen time than Shae, Asha, and Bran and about as much as Sansa and... CERSEI? Yeah, that doesn't sound right... oh wait. :rolleyes:

I had no idea Davos, Stannis and Mel had that much screen time. Thought they had been underused, to be honest...

Where's the Hound? That he's not even in the list is depressing.

Tyrion and Arya topping the list reassures me somewhat. They were the primary stars of ACoK, after all.

Archived