[Book Spoilers] Project: Screen-time of Characters

teemo

Poor Bran's storyline has been gutted so badly. Almost every cut character is from his story arc, the Reeds, Little and Big Walders and Reek. Instead we get to watch Ros beat another whore and Shae suck at acting :crying:

Edit: thanks for putting this together though

Tyrion, Arya, and Varys's chunks of screentime were so well spent.

Ros' 11 minutes seemed like 10 minutes too many, and I agree that many Littlefinger scenes miss the mark. I would have gladly traded with them for more sassy Renly moments.

Ros and Shae combined having the 5th most screen time is pathetic and makes me want to throw up.

I agree. There are legitimate characters getting shafted and for what?! So we can all squirm uncomfortably through a Ros scene. If she has an actual purpose I'm yet to discover it.

Davos, Meli and Stannis seemed like they didn't have as much screen-time because they were underutilized and their scenes were more sparse. Tyrion really didn't have any particularly long scenes, just a ton of 3-4 min chunks, but he really stood out. Arya's scenes tended to be longer, and she had one of the longest scenes of over 9 minutes.

If the LF was like the LF in the book it would be one thing, but this LF is terrible. he isn't sarcastic, he has no humor, he isn't witty, he has very little swagger, he doesn't seem sly, everything he is says seems blunt.. God I hate the actor. His voice bothers me and he can't remember what accent he should be speaking in

Oh, thank you, thank you! I am so glad I'm not alone. I will come out of the closet as a total Gillen hater. He always has trouble hiding his accent; he always plays himself; his delivery in everything stinks. He has never convinced me in anything - although I do admit to not seeing The Wire, so I can't comment on that one, folks.

Fixed the time errors...will do the requested characters in a bit.

It would be insightful to see how this all pans out. That is if you have the patience and time to take it for the whole season. It is interesting to see which characters seem to make the most of their time and which ones simply take up time when all is said done. I've loved Arya's, Theon's and Tyrion's time. It is amazing to learn that Littlefinger and Varys have had the same amount because Littlefinger just seems to always be there.

Littlefinger is overexposed and being used poorly. Compare him to the Spider, who's screen time has been wonderful and efficient.

i would say the main difference is that varys scenes are from the book... and LF's scenes come off as writers room "hey wouldn't it be cool if..." scenes.

Oh, thank you, thank you! I am so glad I'm not alone. I will come out of the closet as a total Gillen hater. He always has trouble hiding his accent; he always plays himself; his delivery in everything stinks. He has never convinced me in anything - although I do admit to not seeing The Wire, so I can't comment on that one, folks.

I didn't like Gillen's acting in The Wire either. It was otherwise an extremely well-acted show, even among the minor characters, so his poor performance stood out.

Can you figure it out for Balon, Sam Tarley and Gendry please? Whatever they've had, it's not been enough.

Well Sam has probably had the same amount as Jon (he has had small scenes that Jon has not been in and kinda vica-versa.)

Gendry, so far, has been in every single scene Ayra has been in (even if he's a sleep in the background)- so, they're about the same I suppose.

I hope Ayra screen time keeps up since she has got the most consistant storyline, along with Tyrion, in this book. Plus she's been the best actor this year, he performances have had so many variations and layers to them - Tyrion is great but he's zinging about one-liners for the most part,he's gonna look cool.

The big failing so far is lack of Jon. I think for TV audiances he is probably the character to latch on to and most identify-able as the hero archie-type of the story and would pick-up a lot that centric slack left by Ned.

That should change soon, and the likes of Littlefinger, Joffery, Roz, Renly (you know what I'm mean) can be put to the background.

It would be insightful to see how this all pans out. That is if you have the patience and time to take it for the whole season. It is interesting to see which characters seem to make the most of their time and which ones simply take up time when all is said done. I've loved Arya's, Theon's and Tyrion's time. It is amazing to learn that Littlefinger and Varys have had the same amount because Littlefinger just seems to always be there.

Thanks for the appreciation. I plan to do this each week, as long as people seem to care about it. I personally found it very interesting and pretty fun to do. So if you appreciate this type of research, please like the original post of this thread. :) I want to know that people actually are interested in this.

Update: studying for finals, but next break I get tonight I'm going to find the minutes for Balon, Sandor, Gendry, and Sam as requested. The reason I didn't include some of them before, especially Gendry, is that they are basically always there when another POV is. So Gendry's time will most likely be a little inflated due to always being near Arya.

Maybe for the Hound and Gendry, I'll count lines as well as minutes to prevent that. Thoughts? I can't do that for every character right now, because that will just take me too much time at the moment. But I can handle that for the minor ones with barely any lines.

And Arya's time isn't inflated. Even if she doesn't talk, those are her scenes.

Ros and Shae combined having the 5th most screen time is pathetic and makes me want to throw up.

:bang: Really? Really? Lets add up some more minor characters - Oh NO their time is more than a major character. SHOCKING.

This Ros fixation by people on the forum is getting ridiculous. This data is proof that this is not the "Ros Show", despite the moaning that indicates that. Just for an example, some have been complaining that Dany has virtually no screen time this season. Well, guess what. She has far more than Ros. Get over it.

Poor Bran's storyline has been gutted so badly. Almost every cut character is from his story arc, the Reeds, Little and Big Walders and Reek. Instead we get to watch Ros beat another whore and Shae suck at acting :crying:

Edit: thanks for putting this together though

Thank you :) I am really sad about Bran as well. I can take some guesses as to why this is, however. Bran's just a kid, and people are less interested in sweet little children on a gritty HBO show. Also, HBO is trying to be as subtle as they can with the "fantasy" aspect as to not scare off viewers (they can only do this to a degree, however, it IS fantasy). Bran's storyline is obviously one of the most fantasy-intensive, and it doesn't involve popping shadowbabies out of nude women. That's probably also why Jojen and Meera were cut, which is so sad. That's my theory on it though. And without the Reeds, he doesn't really have much going on for him until later in the season.

Thanks for the appreciation. I plan to do this each week, as long as people seem to care about it. I personally found it very interesting and pretty fun to do. So if you appreciate this type of research, please like the original post of this thread. :) I want to know that people actually are interested in this.

Update: studying for finals, but next break I get tonight I'm going to find the minutes for Balon, Sandor, Gendry, and Sam as requested. The reason I didn't include some of them before, especially Gendry, is that they are basically always there when another POV is. So Gendry's time will most likely be a little inflated due to always being near Arya.

Maybe for the Hound and Gendry, I'll count lines as well as minutes to prevent that. Thoughts? I can't do that for every character right now, because that will just take me too much time at the moment. But I can handle that for the minor ones with barely any lines.

And Arya's time isn't inflated. Even if she doesn't talk, those are her scenes.

Aye, those are her scenes. I was just responding to a couple people saying that it seemed like she was on screen for a lot less time than that.

Thank you for doing this by the way. It's nice to get such a break-down. Gives a perfect snapshot of where the series is right now.

Someone really should count lines if they have any spare time/are going to watch all the episodes again. That would be extremely informative.

Archived