[Book Spoilers] Project: Screen-time of Characters

teemo

TOO much complaining about Ros scenes. I agree with Hyper, because he is totally correct. Not only about the Ros scenes not actually being about Ros (they in fact portray much more about the main characters than they ever do about her), but people have such a blind hate for her now. All the anti-Ros crowd probably get their panties in such a huge bunch when they see her they don't pay attention to the scene.

Episode 4 is the perfect example: When Ros says that Tyrion will hear about what he's doing, he says he plans on having the whores delivered to him when they're done. This is the beginning of Joffrey defying Tyrion, a HUGE POINT (which many people probably missed due to crying and whining about seeing Ros).

Even if you divided up her time throughout the season, you would have 2:45 seconds to give to a MAJOR!!!!111!~! character each episode or split between characters (maybe we could have watched Bran learning how to do arithmetic!). People have such unrealistic expectations. I feel sorry for them because they have their heads so far in the clouds they can't enjoy what they're being given......

But what does setting up Joffrey as opposing Tyrion do, nothing comes of it until what will probably be season 4 of the show. He does nothing in defiance of Tyrion in ACOK, unless I'm forgetting something, so what's the point of starting this storyline 2-3 years early when story lines that need to be started now to make sense later are put on the back burner. Again I don't hate Ros' scenes because she is in them but because they aren't pushing other character's story lines along either. For instance her scene in episode 1 didn't bother me. It's possible that they are setting up Joffrey for the Alayaya scene, in which case i guess this Ros scene works (still don't like the Littlefinger one) but that will only weaken Cersei's character so I still won't like the change because Cersei's story is much more interesting than Joffreys.

Edit: but if they want to replace Alayaya with Ros I'm fine with that.

My prediction is that the show makes it so Joffrey sends Meryn Trant to kill Tyrion during the Battle of the Blackwater. He seems to be his go to guard for his dirty work that the Hound won't accept, and he clearly doesn't like Tyrion or Bronn. Meryn is the only other Kingsguard member who the show has even identified besides Jamie and Sandor, so I am guessing they will go for another book deviation and have Meryn attack Tyrion and be killed by Pod in the process.

Mandon Moore is nowhere to be found, and I believe the book is rather ambiguous about who sends him to kill Tryion, though it is hinted at being Cersei more so than Joffrey. The route the show is taking, it looks like Cersei is going to be a more sympathetic character than she is in the book.

At some point D&D are going to have to choose between making good television or sticking with what's in the book. Obviously you can't and shouldn't follow the book 100%, not even close to 100%. The problem I see, and it's especially evident in the Ros scenes is that while these scenes might be needed, you have to fill in other plote holes as well.

If you're going to deviate from the books, fine, great, but do it in a good way like what was done with Theon's scenes. This gives you room to add more scenes with Jamie, to add more scenes with the Hound, to add more scenes with Dany. The characters that were in season one shouldn't mysteriously disappear with no explanation. We're almost halfway through ACoK and almost none of the major plot points in the book have even been touched yet. So yeah, less Ros scenes would be crucial at this point. What's needed is another 5 episodes.

My take on Ros is that she'll have a scene with Tyrion, where she explains what happened with Joffrey which will lead to Cersei "finding out" about her, like what happened with... Someone in the books; can't remember her name. Anyway, it's already been pointed out that Ros is more of a composite character than an entirely original invention of D&D, so I can't for the life of me see what the big deal is. Economical storytelling is what I'd call it.

And really, we're on episode four. Every episode following will be longer than these first four:

Ep 05: 57 min.

Ep 06: 54 min.

Ep 07: 56 min.

Ep 08: 57 min.

Ep 09: 57 min.

Ep 10: 64 min.

ACoK is a considerably more difficult novel to adapt into ten episodes, and as a result things are going to have to be shuffled around, delayed, or even cut entirely. I think this thread is definitely an interesting idea, and I'd like to follow it throughout the season, but four episodes in simply isn't enough to get the bigger picture so complaining about where the numbers lie at this juncture doesn't seem like a worthwhile endeavor.

I think this is a brilliant thread, and great tool for tracking the story telling.

Can we have marker at episode 5, so we keep these numbers from the fisrt half then compare how screen times progress in the second half of the seaon for episodes 6-10. Then at the end it's easy enough to add up for the season totals...?

Or he could just make a new thread in every episode-specific forum so the tally updates itself from episode to episode. A link could lead to the previous thread. Agreed that it's a really cool way to follow the show; should be interesting to see where everyone sits at the end of the season.

About Bran, how many wolf dreams can you have before it turns viewers off. It's an important part of the story, but viewers should be getting the hints that Bran and his wolf have a special bond and at this point in the book what more is there to Bran's story really? He's a boy in Winterfell who can't walk. How much of that makes for good TV?

When Theon goes to Winterfell that's where Bran's story starts to take off. If he's not getting screen time then, then I'll be annoyed. Not yet.

I liked Bran's story in ACOK, even before Theon arrives. I really enjoyed his interactions with Big Walder, Little Walder, the Reeds, Maester Luwin, Osha, Rickon, Summer, and Shaggydog.

But oh yeah..the show decided to cut the Freys and the Reeds this season..sweet.

I would like more wolf dreams too..they are awesome and could show Summer hunting and exploring the Godswood.

I am a sucker for Bran's story..I think it is unique and very cool.

Yeah honestly Bran's story arc is my favourite in ACOK, the scene where the Reeds swear fealty is probably my favourite scene in the books, maybe I'm weird for that but I was so disappointed when I found out I would never see it on the show. Because even if they come later that scene will be cut. Also Jojen should be teaching us about greenseering right about now.

Edit: but I am a major Bran fanboy and get why some people think it wouldn't be good tv. I just would prefer to see it over some "more exciting" elements of the story.

Hk47,

Have you considered creating a public web spreadsheet with this data across each episode? That would be very cool. With Google Docs you can create public spreadsheets where only you are allowed to edit.

How to get started with Google Docs spreadsheets: http://www.google.com/google-d-s/spreadsheets/

Here is a quick intro to sharing Google documents: http://support.googl...n&answer=180199

Archived