[Book Spoilers] Why do they need to smuggle ?

Pliskin

To me, Renly's imminent assassination needs to be kept secret, especially since the assassin is some sort of demon spawn from Lord Stannis, who's always announcing how honourable he is, and Melisandre. If anyone saw what happened in the flooded passageway, I doubt Stannis would take over late Renly's remaining armies so readily. Stannis trusts his most loyal man to do a frightening deed far away from others that could hear or see it, so he sends Davos to a secret, dark place that few know about.

Obviously from a book-reader's perspective, we have to ask questions about Storm's End since the shadow baby chapter was introduced there (after Renly's death). But from strictly a show-watcher's perspective, I think it makes sense that a dark, magical birth needs an equally dark and isolated setting.

Its a shame they are doing it this way, in the book it was definitely a massive shock when a shadow comes out of nowhere a stabs Renly in the throat. I doubt there will the same suprise and shock moment now, although I did enjoy Davos' reaction though

yh first so his army doesnt see, it would defeat the whole point of killing renly if it was blatantly obvious stannis did it. And secondly i think it was Storms End but they didnt tell the viewer so as not to confuse them or something, but dropped hints to tell the reader that it is storms end, like when davos says that "they've blocked up the passage since i was last hear" or something along those lines, so it implies he was smuggling and thus storms end, as the place would have to be on the sea anyway

I agree, sad we wont get the shock of Renly's death like in the books.

How it breaks down:

(1) If you read the book , no shock.

(2) If you have not read the book, probably wondering what the hell is going on.

(Depending on how smart one is.)

Hmmm it was actually weird that Stannis and his army was on a ship. Is it that Renly has the shore which would necessitate sneaking Mel to land via the cave/tunnel?

If I remember it's not clear even in the novel. Stannis and his main entourage could have been on boats while his main army was encamped on shore.

Combining two Character POV chapters seems par for the course in every comparison thread we discuss. It should not be so surprising at this point.

The cave scene is a great part of the book come to life on screen. I liked it.

Matters not to me if it is Renly or Whatshimname.......since we know the whatshisname was going to be dropped we would otherwise be cheated.

It is where Davos is sure the Red priest is evil....although the rest of us are still wondering at that. I am sure there are plenty of other threads about that

• 6 months later...

Archived