[Book Spoilers] Theory on Ros

How is everyone feeling about the changes in the Qarth-Danaerys storyline?

I re-read ACoK recently and I thought they would/should play Qarth a little differently. For me, something that was very underplayed in the book was Dany coming to the Elders of Qarth (can't remember their actual title) and asking for help and being denied. At this point in her story, she's in desperate need of allies and the fact that she asked for Qarth's help and didn't get it didn't form a major part of her time there. I think merging Xaro/The Thirteen with the city elders was a good way to bring that aspect out more.

People are, somewhat understandably, a little suspicious of any deviation from the books. For example, someone, somewhere will end up bitching about TV Xaro not being gay (or being from the Summer Isles) or the Qartheen not crying constantly. What Qarth really needs to do is take her in, hear her ask for help, deny her then force her to turn to the warlocks. Adding in Qaithe and her eventual meeting with Barristan. If it does this whilst being good, dramatic TV, it'll be good.

People are, somewhat understandably, a little suspicious of any deviation from the books. For example, someone, somewhere will end up bitching about TV Xaro not being gay (or being from the Summer Isles) or the Qartheen not crying constantly. What Qarth really needs to do is take her in, hear her ask for help, deny her then force her to turn to the warlocks. Adding in Qaithe and her eventual meeting with Barristan. If it does this whilst being good, dramatic TV, it'll be good.

So you don't think he'll be gay in the show?

So you don't think he'll be gay in the show?

I thought he was from the Summer Isles? i only watched the episode once so i could be wrong but he is the only black guy and i THOUGHT i remembered him saying "Even someone such as I from the Summer Isles can become on of the Thirteen..." or something to that effect. But please someone correct me if i'm wrong!!

I think he could still be gay, that didn't come out until a little later when she knew him better from what i remember.

I think it's good that they moved the show along instead of her wandering around in the desert for another episode..or 2..or 6....

honestly, I've never been a fan of Dany's story line in the books OR show. i think they're beautifully done but the only person I like in them is Jorah Mormont now that Jason Momoa has sadly been killed off :) I can't wait for Barristan to show up, it's going to be interesting to see if non-readers catch on to who he is or if they'll disguise him enough with the beard and different clothes. I always thought that was a good twist, although I might have just been slow on the uptake

No, that’s untrue. David and Dan read the draft of Dance before they shot the first season, and also conferred with Martin extensively. They certainly knew of Jeyne Poole’s eventual rôle in Dance.

Whoops, sorry, did not know that. But, anyway, I would not want Ros taking a bigger role than she already has.

• 5 months later...

Archived