[Book Spoilers] They're not explaining the war very well

rmanoj

I don't think non-readers would get a particularly clear understanding of the actual war just from watching these episodes. I assume Robb is invading the Westerlands (was that mentioned in this episode? I don't recall), so what is Tywin doing in Harrenhal? Is he confronting some other enemy force in the region? There haven't been any mentions of separate Northern armies after the Green Fork, and Roose is apparently with Robb in the West. What about the River Lords? Edmure? Does he exist? It's understandable that they don't want to cast more people, but some of this stuff could at least be mentioned in conversation.

There's also the issue of Stannis and Renly's meeting, which people have already brought up in other threads. Stannis just shows up out of nowhere with no buildup, and the huge disparity in size between the two armies wasn't really stated explicitly. And then Davos smuggles Melisandre into Storm's End, or at least into some caverns or tunnels somewhere....whilst Renly's army is encamped on an open field. I would say that merging the two assassinations was probably a good idea, but they didn't really think it through - it could have made sense if they'd just shown Renly in a castle.

They seem to believe sex and gore sells more then a consistent story.

I pray to the seven they are right and that they can pull 4 or 5 seasons. I do have some fear they will not be able to finish the story because general interest will not back the production numbers they would need. But they are the ones in this business so we will have to give it a try and see what comes out.

I don't think non-readers would get a particularly clear understanding of the actual war just from watching these episodes. I assume Robb is invading the Westerlands (was that mentioned in this episode? I don't recall), so what is Tywin doing in Harrenhal? Is he confronting some other enemy force in the region? There haven't been any mentions of separate Northern armies after the Green Fork, and Roose is apparently with Robb in the West. What about the River Lords? Edmure? Does he exist? It's understandable that they don't want to cast more people, but some of this stuff could at least be mentioned in conversation.

Last episode , last season Tywin said that his forces would, I guess that means the ones who were with him, would regroup at Harrenhal, took till episode 4 this year, we have to surmise the rest of his army was somewhere else at huge Harrenhal, or encamped outside.

I can't remember from the books where Jamie's defeated forces regrouped. Tywin , in the books, not in the show I think, says that he had or was raising another army at Casterly Rock , I can't remember who was leading them, or who took over for Jamie. Seems the Mountain never commanded an army but was an axillary force spreading good will throughout the realm. (Always thought his slash and burn tactics , if the Lanisters succeed (or will they?)that it would leave a hostile country, hard if not impossible to rule.)

There's also the issue of Stannis and Renly's meeting, which people have already brought up in other threads. Stannis just shows up out of nowhere with no buildup, and the huge disparity in size between the two armies wasn't really stated explicitly. And then Davos smuggles Melisandre into Storm's End, or at least into some caverns or tunnels somewhere....whilst Renly's army is encamped on an open field. I would say that merging the two assassinations was probably a good idea, but they didn't really think it through - it could have made sense if they'd just shown Renly in a castle.

Even in the books I could never exactly get a handle on tactics and logistics, I mean there is a big picture frame , we kind of know who is allied with who and sort of who won what battle and who controlled what lands, but GRRM is more interested in character story arcs, which was ok with me.

Even after Blackwater things still seem a chaotic mess.

It doesn't seem that confusing to me. Both Barantheons have stated they want to take KL (Stannis multiple times, Renly to LF), but stand in each others way. Meanwhile Starks are fighting the Lannister. To the viewers it would just be someplace on a map, I don't think they really have to have some sort of geography lesson-it would be cool but not necessary

Unless I missed i, I don't think they said anything about storms landing so why would the viewing public be confused about it. They will just assum that the two armies are camping near each other. Its not like the scenerey was inconsistent. They were clearly by water in renly stannis meeting, so what would it be confusing that there was some access somewhere else by water. Again maybe I missed them say storms end, but otherwise it would be consistent with what was seen on TV.

Archived