[book spoilers] A discourse on sex in a Game of Thrones

Howdyphillip

http://www.fataldownflaw.com/rebuttal-its-fun-to-watch-people-bang-4296/

This is an article written online against the nature of the sex scenes in the GoT TV series. It is well written, and establishes these idea in a very readable manner.

A friend of mine has written an article in rebuttal. It is also well written and his thoughts are made clear and concise.

http://www.fataldownflaw.com/rebuttal-its-fun-to-watch-people-bang-4296/

Both of these I found enjoyable, although I am in the pro-sex camp myself.

Yes, the first complainant seems ignorant of the source material and is blaming "HBO." But the rebuttal author undermines his own credibility when he says things like (paraphrase), "I don't think any story is being cut to make way for the sex scenes." Lots of fans are complaining about story aspects that have been cut while particular sex scenes not in the book have been added. And other sex scenes from the book have been changed. (For example, IIRC, Cersei and Jaime are going at it while standing up against a wall when Bran inadvertently eavesdrops on them--in the book. "HBO" turns it into doggy style on the floor. Book dialogue that happened elsewhere is "gratuitously" staged in brothels, etc.)

The rebuttal author also loses credibility (IMHO) when he claims that the novels' misogyny is necessary to GRRM's medieval-inspired world, but if you're on this forum you already know that critiques more eloquent than mine could ever be have pointed out all the aspects that are decidedly different than medieval European culture; the author could have chosen something more "civilized" as regards women, among all the choices he's making and all the fantastical elements he's adding.

Just sayin'.

I realize both editorials are sarcastic and, at least for the rebuttal, partly tongue-in-cheek.

The real question is: are the actors wearing prosthetic penises? :blushing:

You have posted the same link twice :rolleyes:

Although i partialy agree with the article is still think is a massive waste of screen time, and there is realy no need for it, even the scenes from whe book should be cut depending on relevance same as the rest of the story.

I dont think there is any need for the sex scenes, theres so much more they could be putting in there instead. I know some of the scenes may be necessary for the story but most of them arent. Why cant they drop these scenes and free up time to introduce someone like the Blackfish? the sex scenes probably pull in a few more viewers but I think it would be more important to keep the more dedicated fans happy and tell the story.

It wont stop me watching though, its still the best programme on tv but it could be so much more.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I disagree with those who deem the sex scenes in GoT "gratuitous". While these scenes do serve to titillate, they are never out of context with what is going on in the show and often reveal character motivation, and show how sex can be used as a political tool.

Also there is a scene in which a guy's tongue is ripped out through his throat, so maybe back off on the sex.

Archived