Theory regarding Dany, Asshai and the rest of the Meereen gang

Archmaester

• 3 weeks later...

I always expected we'd see Ashai after hearing so much about it from book 1. When I read the 'to go west you must go east' prophecy I was certain she'd go there. My crackpot theory was that she would ride a dragon east to Ashai, pass beneath the shadow, turn north, do a russia to canada style polar crossing through the land of always winter and south to westeros via the far north. I did say crackpot. But if GRRM said what he's quoted as saying I think he probably means it. He might have thought he'd get there at some stage so he's layed some groundwork along the way, but he's changed his mind, thought it would get too big, something like that? Based on that I think she'll have to move west after the battle in Mereen. She could burn the slave cities to the ground in an attempt to end slavery. Jorah did once tell her in ASoS that nobody sacked the slave cities because if they did there'd be no one to buy slaves.

Although, as far as what GRRM said, I am curious about the flashbacks part. I was trying to think of what pov had been to Ashai and at first coudn't think of any. JonConn perhaps, Bran - though that would be more greenseeing than flashbacks, and possibly Jon - reborn as AA, partial memories and all.

Did I mention crackpot?

I dont think Dany will not go to Asshai, I think she will head back to Meereen on Drogon to save the day :fencing: However, she will first burn Khal Jhago as she has promised. At the end of adwd, Khal Jhago finds Dany standing beside Drogon, Khal Jhago has only 50 riders with him... I think Drogon burns Jhago.... and Drogon and Dany head back to Meereen, where after a great vistory over her enemies, she meets a short man, who knows much and more about dragons.... She now has her dragon trainer, Tyrion. Tyrion tells her how Aegon the Conqueror was able to conquer Westeros with a vary small army and three grown dragons. She then decides to stay and rule Meereen while her dragons are trained. She will head to Westeros when the dragons are grown. She does not need a large army to take the Iron Throne, all that is needed is three dragons.

Dany returns to Westeros for the Iron throne as Daenerys the Conqueror, Mother of Dragons, to teach the usurpers the meaning of Fire and Blood

of course GRRM will probably try to tie in the Others, the wall, and lots of interesting stuff :drool:

When asked about identity of Jon's mother,who knows,GRRM replied - The Shadow knows.

To pass the shadow and reach the light : to find out the truth.

That's a reference to an old radio show. "The Shadow knows" was its tagline. It also inspired a running Mad Magazine feature from Sergio Aragones that was ususally really funny.

OP is way too optimistic.

unless martin plays it all backstage with 1/3 of a chapter used to tell us the story in flashback, no way he can do that, AND tell the aftermath of what's to come, in two books.

feelsbadman, it'd make for a great reading

Okay, my first post...

Regarding Quaithe ,the shadow binder's, foretelling of "Beware the perfumed senschal", as it pertains to the "Stinky Steward", the ship taken by slavers, the fate of the ship remains in doubt, and could possibly play a part, or it could be a red herring, same with Roznak(?); I mean, he used most of a page arguing the finer points of the translation between Moqorro and Tyrion, and a seneschal is a steward, when you come down to it.

Moqorro has been mentioned numerous times on this forum as playing a central part to the Red Temple's machinations in securing a dragon, and while I agree that he will play more of a role in the upcoming saga, I remain unclear what the temple's motivations truly are towards Daeny and the dragons.

It seems to me, most of the plot points have been revealed, stage setting, if you will; AFFC & ADWD merely revealing the final POV characters for the penultimate books, barring the vagaries of GRRM.

I wait with bated breath, and an open mind, for winter.

It seems to me, most of the plot points have been revealed, stage setting, if you will; AFFC & ADWD merely revealing the final POV characters for the penultimate books, barring the vagaries of GRRM.

“Penultimate books”, in the plural? Huh? That means there are more than one book to go yet preceding the final book! So we’re for sure up to eight books now, you’re saying?

Gosh!

I don’t think Dany will not go to Asshai,

On the contrary, me I do think that Dany will not go to Asshat. After all, Martin has said that we will only learn of Asshat through flashbacks, if at all. I presume that means Melisandre’s flashbacks, as she’s the only viewpoint character who’s ever been to Asshat before.

Apologies for not being precise. I was referring to WoW & ADoS only.

Penultimate means second-to-last, not last or remaining or something like that.

The current expectation is that Winds will be the penultimate novel in the current series, and Dream the final one.

Thanks for the clarification. College was twenty years ago, and i didn't pay much attention in lit class, unfortunately.

But i do think GRRM will spring some suprises on us in the next book. I was suggesting that past is prologue with him; all books so far have been telling a story, but there are HUGE holes that have yet to be filled, and will probably include many deaths, as the body count in the last book, while high, has not been as gut wrenching as in previous books.

I wonder if George is getting attached to his characters?

Again, apologies for the segue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dany is going to go to Asshai to finally find "the truth" that Qaithe was talking about. What will happen with the khalasar? Drogon will probably burn them after they insist that Daenerys is meant to go back to Vaes Dothrak and remain there to mourn for the death of Drogo. The dothraki men she does not burn will be given the choice to travel to Mereen, which is where she will meet them once she is finished in Asshai. When she reaches Asshai, she will ask for Qaithe and receive her. Qaithe will show her how she was able to contact Daenerys when she shows her the obsidian candles. Qaithe will introduce Daenerys to Maester Marwyn via obsidian candles and he will explain to Daenerys that he will go to Mereen and convince her followers that she will meet them in Westeros when the time is right. Communication with Qaithe and Marwyn through obsidian candle will be essential for Daenerys to learn if she is to leave Asshai. Then, Daneryes asks if that is all Qaithe meant when she sais that Daenerys would find "truth" here. Qaithe then introduces her to a man that has travelled farther than most, a man who, like Daenerys, was looking for truth and found it. Qaithe introduces Daenerys to Benjen Stark!

You know guys, for Dany to pass through the shadow of Asshai, does not mean she has to go "physically" to Asshai.

No, she'd have to go even farther east... GRRM can do anything he wants but I see no reason to believe he just decided to lie to us about the plot when he could have simply said no comment. If we are assuming GRRM lied we might as well assume Ned and Robb and both alive and Dany is not a Targ. He said 2 different ways that Dany wouldn't go to Asshai.

I am also of the opinion that Dany will go to Asshai. She realizes now that staying in Mereen is a mistake and will lead her khalasar (after killing that fool Mago) to Asshai. Quaithe will not betray her though. I think Dany will learn something very important that will allow her to face the great Other. She will then continue going east (under the instruction of whoever she meets at Asshai) with Drogon flying over the ocean. She will suffer on her journey, starve to death and fear she has gone mad, but she will land on Arbor where she will destroy Euron.

GRRM somewhere said NO POV will visit Asshai in his books.

On top of that even only reason to visit Asshai, prophercy, is very unclear. We are trying to interpret it geographically, and it may be huge mistake. "Go east" may be interpreted in multiple ways - maybe it's suggestion what to do AFTER invading westeros? We do not knowactual Dany geographical position when prophercy will trigger.

Also, Deanny really has no reason to visit Asshai. Prophercy is completely unclear, it do not promises anything. It is not "go asshai to conquer westeros", its just unclear info of East and Shadow and some enlightement waiting here. Enlightenment for Dany possibly can come from Asshai WITHOUT visiting Asshai, and it's much easier to explain with current storyline then trip to other side of the world with no idea what to do here.

Danny no1 problem is Mereen siege, she will not abandon her people unless someone imprison her (not possible since same person will be forced to do something with her dragon). Prophercy also mention incoming meetings with Kraken, Dark Flame, Lion, Mummers Dragon and Griffin - all these persons are ATM West to Mereen.

Whatever happen to Mereen, natural next target of both Danny and all her supporters is Westeros. Choosing travel in the different direction mean loosing allies (huge part of people support her because they expect benefits after entering Westeros) and loosing chances of achieving her main goal (Iron Throne).

I think what mny fail to realize about Dany is that she's trying to find her place in the world. She has never been to Westeros. She doesn't know if the people there really want her. She doesn't know if she is truly destined to rule there. All she knows is that she has been a fugitive all her life, traveling from city to city, sold to a horselord, until she ended up ruling in a strange land with people she despised all around her and food she hated. She is beginning to ask herself if Westeros will be any different. She doesn't have a home. All she has is Drogon.

Quaithe's advice has proven to be wise. She might take the risk and go to Asshai to finally learn something about her dragons and most importantly herself.

What George has said about not visiting Asshai leads me to believe there won't be any Dany POV chapters once she makes the decision to go to Asshai and then she will reappear in Westeros.

I think something similar will happen with Bran when he goes to the Land of Always Winter. I think both Dany and Bran are gods.

To touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow

Is the "shadow" a place, thing or person?

Place - Might be Asshai, it might also be the "Wall"

Thing - Might be the sword "Lightbringer"

Person - Might be the Lord of Light "R'hllor

To assume the Asshai is the Shadow, to me, is purely conjecture as there are a few other possibilities that may be more relevant to where Dany's arc has led her.

Archived