What Undead Cat really wants with Jamie

houseHB

I don't know how it will turn out, but I have to confess I am looking forward to the Brienne/Jamie/Un-Cat resolution more than any other storyline in the next book....

...unless Howland Reed shows up. :cool4:

@Adelstein

Good call on Pod and Hyle being alive... like you said otherewise Brienne would have no reason to go back and get Jaime. I'm assuming that as soon as they're alone together she'll tell him everything and see what he wants to do. Can't wait.

unCat-Jaime-Briennethree way anyone?

I'm assuming that as soon as they're alone together she'll tell him everything and see what he wants to do. Can't wait.

Either this or Cat wants him to suffer as she has and will kill him and then give him "the kiss" and he will go off to kill Cersei.

I'm not buying the whole Cersei assassination thing. UnCat already thinks he's forsaken his vows to her as well as being an accomplice to the red wedding. I can't see her going to all that effort to catch him only to say "go kill you sister, k? And don't break your oath this time. Run along now".

As for Jamie vs Robert Strong? I don't think Jamie vs anyone will end well in his current state.

If Un-Cate can die I think that Jamie and Brienne are going to kill her. Jamie I think is going to have a battle with Ser Robert Strong in his future down at kings landing as the faith's champion against Cersei's.

What makes you think that? Jamie becoming the Faiths' Champion, I mean.

This is like the whole can God invent a rock so heavy he can't lift it paradox. You have 2 contradictory truths, in my view. 1) Cat can not be reasoned with in any way. She wants to kill Jaime and he can't talk his way out of that. 2) It is just a bit too early for Jaime to die. He has not completed his arc and he is too important a character.

Clearly, Brienne is bringing him to Cat, almost certainly because she believes this will spare Podrick's life (I don't know how much she gives a crap about Hyle Hunt). The only solution I see is that some kind of test is going to happen, which Jaime will pass, meaning that Cat does not kill him. Part of me likes the idea of Thoros somehow restoring him his sword hand/making his golden hand workable - he could then fight for Sansa in a trial by combat to free her from the false regicide charges. Part of me thinks that's super stupid/cheesy and likes him the way he is. I do wonder whether the BWB having freed Septon Meribald will become important. I mean, I hope he isn't just like, hey, whatever, I'll just head on my merry way and not concern myself with whether Podrick and Brienne (I don't know how much he cares about Hyle Hunt either) get hung by a group of vigilante outlaws. Perhaps he will do/tell something/someone and that will impact what happens next.

BTW, I do give a crap about Hyle Hunt. I think he's hilarious. I just don't know how any of the actual characters feel.

As stated previously, I think she wants him dead. She's an undead revenge machine. I think she might change her tune if she discovers one of her children are left, though.

I also think that Brienne is going to tell Jaime what's-up. She'll explain that Cat is back as UnCat and things are going to be - complicated.

Somebody else also mentioned this, but I am very excited to see this play out.

How about Briennestein vs. Mountainstein?

Interesting - and I could definitely see that possibility IF Brienne returns to KL with Jaime and doesn't go off after Sansa again.

We also have Jaime's dream before he goes back to rescue Brienne from the bearpit - if you believe in dreams or prophecies in the series, where does the vision of Brienne with her sword being the only light in the darkness fit in?

I have also often wondered whether the showdown will be with Brienne vs UnCat, rather than Jaime vs UnCat. Will Brienne be forced into breaking her oath to UnCat? It would fit very well with Jaime's "too many oaths" speech, and also Brienne's own journey, because so far she has been trying desperately to do the honourable thing and live up to her oaths and the ideals of knighthood. But what if the situation forces her to break an oath, in order to save Jaime? What would that do to her notions of 'honour'?

Will we get a sort of terrible and bitter irony through Brienne breaking her oath and killing UnCat with a sword of Valeryian steel named Oathkeeper? A sword which has been made from Ned Stark's sword Ice. That would be very like GRRM ....

Personally I hope that Jaime and Brienne cut a bloody swath through the Brotherhood Without Banners. They were originally so cool and looking out for the smallfolk, but now they've become a bunch of self righteous assholes who go around hanging innocent people simply by virtue of their family name. They've become the very thing they were formed to fight against and they all deserve a brutal death.

I'm actually thinking she plans on using him to either retrieve Edmure or Sansa, or possibly even to gain access to a particular place.

I think that makes sense, but at the same time, Jaime has already spent so much time as a hostage - I know GRRM can hardly be accused of fearing repetition, but I still think that story has sort of been done. I really want to see this story go somewhere totally unexpected. Jaime killing UnCat can't happen, I don't think - it would just be sort of tacky. Brienne, maybe... but I feel like there will be something even more surprising. Or at least I hope so.

I think that makes sense, but at the same time, Jaime has already spent so much time as a hostage - I know GRRM can hardly be accused of fearing repetition, but I still think that story has sort of been done. I really want to see this story go somewhere totally unexpected. Jaime killing UnCat can't happen, I don't think - it would just be sort of tacky. Brienne, maybe... but I feel like there will be something even more surprising. Or at least I hope so.

I don't think we'll get an extended storyline of him being captive. We might not witness it at all, actually. I imagine we'll just see Catelyn's plan in action, having skipped over the part where Jaime is first brought in front of Catelyn, except maybe via a Jaime flashback in the present.

Archived