Hypothetical Marriage

Batman

If you were king and had the option of making a marriage alliance with one of the other Seven kingdoms who would you choose. Sansa Stark, Margarey Tyrell or Arianne Martell.

At the start of the series before everything went to hell.

Depends on the time frame. As of Dance? Marg.

Yeah, but marrying Margaery is as good a death sentence as being the Lord of Harrenhal.

At the start of the series? I guess Arianne, maybe. The Dornish are still pretty peeved about Elia, and it'd probably be good to give them some sort of consolation. In other words, my hold on them in the most tenuous.

At the start of the series, it'd be a toss-up between Sansa and Arianne. Both come with an abundance of land and fighting men behind them, while neither are directly tied to the crown. The Tyrellls (at that point) seem to be satisfied with Loras in the Kingsguard.

The North is closer, but also more appeased.

As Silver Spearwife pointed out, strengthening a Dornish alliance would be good for the realm, but Dorne is further away.

Given that both are weighed pretty evenly, I'd give myself the luxury of choosing based on looks/personality between Arianne and Sansa.

Hmmm...... Since I'm a woman I can't really say about appearance (and don't care), they all sound pretty enough. But if I was, for example, a queen, deciding for my son, the future king, I would think in the following manner: Politically wise, the North is larger, but more sparsely populated and not as rich or fertile. Dorne is also sparsely populated, and the Dornish have a system and society somewhat different to the rest of the Seven Kingdoms. I would choose the Reach, as it seems the richest and most fertile place, with large ports like Oldtown, wine-making areas like the Arbor etc., and because I think in the case of an emergency it would be easier to bring in soldiers from the Reach rather than from either Dorne or the North (plus Dorne is not likely to want to take part anyway). If we take it from a personal level, I would still choose the Reach. Sansa is quite immature (or at least, was, until Littlefinger stepped in), and does not strike me as particularly gifted in being a queen. I think she's a survivor, but she doesn't have that extra something. Arianne seems rash and more immature than even Sansa. Hot she may be, but smart she is not. I think Margaery has proven to be quite clever and has the stuff to be a queen. She is quite charming, she managed to win over the smallfolk, and, from the little interaction we saw her have with Joffrey, I believe she would have managed him easily enough had he lived. She manages to deal even with Cersei cleverly enough and she has been giving Tommen good advice so far (like encouraging him to interact with the smallfolk and to practice his fighting skills).

At the start of the series definitely Sansa. The North is probably the most loyal area and you could be sure to count on them when shit hits the fan. The loyalty of the North to Starks survives even the supposed death of the house. That is invaluable, imo, in a world that is so susceptible to political turmoil.

• 3 weeks later...

Sansa comes with ties to three kingdoms instead of on, Margeary's is the strongest by far.

Arianne doesn't look like much in comparison except for one detail: She is the actual heir.

So, Margraery. The Reach is a unified kingdom. In contrast, while the North/Riverlands/Vale sounds impressive in theory, it borke apart in practice. Dorne falls way short in comparison to the other two.

ETA: if you are counting available bachelorettes you should count Asha.

Sansa comes with ties to three kingdoms instead of on, Margeary's is the strongest by far.

Arianne doesn't look like much in comparison except for one detail: She is the actual heir.

So, Margraery. The Reach is a unified kingdom. In contrast, while the North/Riverlands/Vale sounds impressive in theory, it borke apart in practice. Dorne falls way short in comparison to the other two.

ETA: if you are counting available bachelorettes you should count Asha.

I know Asha is described as attractive but aside from that what does she bring?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived