Your opinion of Edmure Tully?

Batman

What is your opinion of Edmure Tully as a war time leader, a lord of the Riverlands and a potential small council member? He may not be the most intelligent person in the series but he does seem to have a decent grasp of justice. He could have made a good master of laws. Probably better than Renley Baratheon or Orton Merryweather and definately has a good sense of honor the way Lord Hoster and Jon Arryn did.

PS I am speaking of him as a lord of the Riverlands that has not been ravaged by war, Hypothetical

I have a soft spot for Edmure. Everyone else just seems so quick to dismiss him. He's not a military genius or an especially shrewd politician but I don't think he's completely worthless either. At least he has his priorities straight as a Lord, since the thing that matters most to him is to protect and take care of his people (sheltering them inside Riverrun to protect them from Gregor Clegane's pillaging, sending Ser Marq Piper and his men back to their lands to defend them etc.). Considering Brynden's tactics (kick all the people back out in the way of a marching army and burn all their crops right before winter) I think Edmure is the better choice for Lord of the Riverlands than the Blackfish is.

Nice guy, would have been fine as a peacetime lord, maybe even a good/great one depending on how things worked out. Hung out to dry by Robb and the Blackfish w/regards to holding Riverrun but way out of his depth in wartime.

In agreement with Ser Hippie here. If you're talking peacetime, I think Edmure could've made a great lord. He definitely has the right priorities re: his subjects.

Well, he's my favourite Tully, but Tully is probs one of my least favourite houses.

Nice guy, would have been fine as a peacetime lord, maybe even a good/great one depending on how things worked out. Hung out to dry by Robb and the Blackfish w/regards to holding Riverrun but way out of his depth in wartime.

He's not the brightest bulb and he's definitely not cut out for war. His insecurities seem to get the better of him at times, and as a result can do some pretty foolish things. If not for the war he would indeed be a just lord.

Honestly I somewhat pity Edmure, I think he's got a higher opinion of himself than is really justified. He's not the brightest or best Lord, but he does seem like a decent guy and I agree that he'd have been a good peacetime ruler. He does have an overinflated sense of his own skills (just a feeling I pick up from him) which - if you ask me - would mean there would always be potential for him to turn into a bit of a tyrant.

IMO Edmure is not a wartime leader, his actions when King Robb and the Blackfish went to venture the Crowlands and left him to defend Riverrun proves he doesn't see the big picture. His doesn't seem like a man that would inspire an army, as he is not that capable as a warrior, seen by His failure at Lord Holster Tully's funeral. But he is a honorable man and a trustworthy Allie to the north, his status and birth probably make him worthy of a small council position and is competent enough to fulfill his duty's.

Honestly I somewhat pity Edmure, I think he's got a higher opinion of himself than is really justified. He's not the brightest or best Lord, but he does seem like a decent guy and I agree that he'd have been a good peacetime ruler. He does have an overinflated sense of his own skills (just a feeling I pick up from him) which - if you ask me - would mean there would always be potential for him to turn into a bit of a tyrant.

Edmure really doesn't strike me as the kind of Lord who'd turn into a tyrant. For one he cares about his people far too much, though he seems to hold grudges for quite a while he doesn't really act on them (when Tom O'Sevens made that song about the floppy fish he didn't try to kill him or have him punished unlike some Lannisters we know) and he's also rather quick to recognize his mistakes and try to make amends for them : for example the Battle of the Fords, which wasn't even his mistake at all, he took the entirety of the blame and agreed to do what Robb didn't want to, aka marry one of Lord Frey's daughters (and he didn't have the same choice Robb did). I really don't see what could possibly turn him tyrannical. Honestly your description reminds me a lot more of Tyrion.

I'd consider Edmure to be an excellent peace-time leader, provided he had good council, a good lord of the riverlands, provided he was subordinate to a more adaptable king, and a decent military leader, provided he was working under someone with talent. Most of his flaws can be compensated for by others working with him, while his virtues, I feel, would influence the decisions of those around him in a broadly positive way. The problem with him as a leader in any situation, really, is that he's not cut out to make executive decisions on his own, and that's what was expected of him in the events of the books, so he crashed and burned.

Eva the only thing that makes me think that Edmure could turn a bit arsey is because in my opinion he's quite weak and if you ask me - easily corruptible. And as we all know, power corrupts the weak. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Edmure but pitted against other more forceful Lords I feel he falls woefully short

Hello everyone btw, that was my first post here :)

Even in a time of peace I couldn't imagine Edmure being a good leader. It seems as if he is always trying to prove himself due to insecurity leading to foolish decisions. With no one above him I personally feel that he would lose control and support of the Riverlands within a rather short period of time. Frankly, the Tully's seem to be a family of much pride yet little substance or quality in the form of leadership.

Eva the only thing that makes me think that Edmure could turn a bit arsey is because in my opinion he's quite weak and if you ask me - easily corruptible. And as we all know, power corrupts the weak. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Edmure but pitted against other more forceful Lords I feel he falls woefully short

Hello everyone btw, that was my first post here :)

I get your point, it's true that Edmure doesn't have the strongest of will, so there's a chance he'd give in to temptation, but in that case I'd imagine he'd be more like Robert, letting other people rule in his place while he went drinking and wenching in taverns, rather than someone like Tywin Lannister who'd kill you for making a bad joke.

And welcome to the boards !

I get your point, it's true that Edmure doesn't have the strongest of will, so there's a chance he'd give in to temptation, but in that case I'd imagine he'd be more like Robert, letting other people rule in his place while he went drinking and wenching in taverns, rather than someone like Tywin Lannister who'd kill you for making a bad joke.

It's hard to say because Robert was at one time so highly regarded due to his military prowess. I couldn't imagine that Edmure and his reputation would allow him to get away with that behavior while in a position of power. I don't think any competent "player" in the political game would ever fear Edmure.

Like people have said, Edmure would be a good time peace leader. However, the Riverlands is in the middle of everything, so no matter how good a battle commander you are, keeping it safe during wartime would be pretty damn difficult.

Edmure would be a better peace-time leader but don't forget he defeated Tywin Lannister in battle!

not surprising considering his relatives(hoster ,brynden, oswell whent-a member of the old kingsguard)

but I hope to see more of him

yes I think he'a crouching moron hidden badass

I agree that Edmure would be a great peace-time leader, but I would say he'd be a great wartime leader too provided that he was told in absolute and uncertain terms to do what he was told and not vary from it.

My opinion is that he is the best of the Tullys, and I count Catelyn as a Stark and Lysa as an Arryn, who I hope all the best in the world (as long as it don't inflict some kind of damage on House Lannister¨:) )

Archived