When Did Daenerys Targaryen Become Your Favourite Character?

Winter's Knight

Daenerys Targaryen-Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, Slayer of Lies. Breaker of Shackles and Khaleesi, Rightful of the Seven Kingdoms, and Queen of the Andals.

I am enamoured with the Silver Queen, brave and beautiful and brittle as she is, there is surely no character who has lost so much, sunk so low and then clawed her way back up again.

Since I went right to the second book after watching the first season of GoT, she became one of my favourite characters at Dracarys-so simple yet so brilliant, so brutal and yet so just!

Seeing as there are two anti-Dany threads active right now, I feel we need a bit of down time with the Dragon Queen-so, when did she become your favourite character?

I think we are a small, yet vocal minority here, us Dany lovers.

She became my favorite character in AGoT when she, at 14 years old, took what could have been a very bad situation (being married off to a blood thirsty war-lord) and turned lemons into lemonade.

I love how GRRM makes us remember that the rightful Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the last Targaryen of the blood of Old Valyria and possible savior of the world is STILL just a teenage girl with teenage girl issues such as being fickle, flighty and falling in love with the wrong guys. She is obviously destined for something and we don't know to what end, but it's amazing to see her traverse the great perils set before her. I also love the relationship between her and Barristan, probably one of the best in the series.

I have a major love for all things Targaryen and perhaps that casts a rose colored tint on Dany but I just love reading her chapters and don't find her tenure in Meereen boring at all. It's funny what some people will think is interesting and others think boring. To me, the Ironborn chapters are a real chore. Brienne's chapters in AFFC were god awful. But I could read Dany's Meereen chapters again and again. I love political intrigue and the inner workings of how rulers gain power and maintain it.

Well she is not my favorite character but she is in the top 3 :)

I don't know why I like her exactlly but she was someone I liked from the beginning and so far she hasn't done anything that make me chance my mind.

I don't know if she will survive the series or get the Iron Throne but I do belive she is destined to great things that will surprise everyone...

When she first stood up to Viserys in Book 1. It led to her conversation with Jorah about what the common people really pray for and that entire chapter was one of the ones that really got me hooked on the story.

She's not my favorite character. But she might have my favorite moment. That moment is, of course:

"There is a reason. A dragon is no slave. DROGON! DRACARYS!" You go, girl.

I'll freely admit that often times Dany chapters will quickly make me restless and prone to skim. But when she's on her A-game it is glorious. Hopefully she's gotten all this pussyfooting around and "finding herself" out of her system after ADWD, and has learned the lesson that, as a Targaryen, she does not do compromise. Here's to TWOW being 900 pages of Dany getting back into F U mode, and waking the dragon all over anyone who even so much as looks at her funny. There are names that need to be taken and asses that need to be kicked, and I don't want Dany to stop until the whole map of essos is one big black charcoal stain with "DANY WUZ HEER" hastily finger-smudged into it. Come to Westeros and join the rest of the plot, Dany; you've got two nephews dying to meet you (literally, in one case).

When she first stood up to Viserys in Book 1. It led to her conversation with Jorah about what the common people really pray for and that entire chapter was one of the ones that really got me hooked on the story.

I have to agree, Dany and the trials she had to face really pulled me into the story.

I really don't get all the Dany hate.

With all the slack given to Sansa (who I disliked from the start and only kinda like now that's she's suffered some for her actions and because her POVs really show what's going on around her.) and Catelyn ( really didn't like her from the start and hate her now) you'd think more people (and maybe more women) would cheer for her.

I have to agree, Dany and the trials she had to face really pulled me into the story.

I really don't get all the Dany hate.

I don't either, particularly the need to create multiple "hate" threads and turn just about any thread related to the character into a hate thread.

I think we are a small, yet vocal minority here, us Dany lovers.

She became my favorite character in AGoT when she, at 14 years old, took what could have been a very bad situation (being married off to a blood thirsty war-lord) and turned lemons into lemonade.

This. Dany's resilience and inner strength is what drew me to her as a character. She is a favorite of mine. i really admire her ability to overcome shitty situations, not back down, and her whole evolution from Viserys puppet to Khaleesi had me cheering for her the whole way through.

Also, I would like to remind people...while Robb Stark and Stannis Baratheon were running around styling themselves "King", Dany was actually BEING a Queen who had people to govern and all the sticky, dangerous, messy situations that arise from ruling a people who are not your own, who mostly hate you, but you're trying to help every step of the way with little appreciation. AND SHE's STILL A TEENAGER. A lot of people on these boards do not like the Meereen chapters but it is because of her experiences in Meereen that have given her the mettle necessary to be a true leader. She is probably one of the only few characters left alive in this story who could feasibly sit the Iron Throne Yeah, I said it!

Also, I would like to remind people...while Robb Stark and Stannis Baratheon were running around styling themselves "King", Dany was actually BEING a Queen who had people to govern and all the sticky, dangerous, messy situations that arise from ruling a people who are not your own, who mostly hate you, but you're trying to help every step of the way with little appreciation. AND SHE's STILL A TEENAGER. A lot of people on these boards do not like the Meereen chapters but it is because of her experiences in Meereen that have given her the mettle necessary to be a true leader. She is probably one of the only few characters left alive in this story who could feasibly sit the Iron Throne Yeah, I said it!

Dany for Queen! :commie:

:grouphug: Group hug, Dany lovers!

She stopped having my sympathy after her brother died, and I actively began disliking her after she sacked Slaver's Bay.

Liberated is the word you're going for, given that the majority of the people living in Slaver's Bay lived in shackles before Daenarys came and all of them lived freely after she set foot amongst them.

Archived