[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

As to the red god, yes, Jaqen repeatedly refers to R'hllor because he, Rorge, and Biter were going to burn alive if Arya didn't help. So she stole their deaths from R'hllor, the firey aspect of the Many Faced God.

I never made that connection!!! Thank you!!!

I just remembered the one thing that annoyed me because it was at the beginning of the episode. Renly ought to have been in full armour when the shadow killed him. It helped to lay doubt on Brienne's part in his death.

ETA -- but that is a relatively minor complaint. Not nitpicking.

Edited by Bran the Bummer

I think they're combining the foreign religions for simplicity. There's already the Northern and Southern religions and the foreign Red God. Bit annoying, but having four religions, including one that's fairly minor until much later on, might have been a bit too confusing for some people. They can just make the faceless men a different sect or division of the R'hllor worship and make things work out reasonably.

Jaqen references the Red God in this scene in the books too. It's not a change.

I see many people beat me to it.

Edited by Lord Godric

I think they're combining the foreign religions for simplicity. There's already the Northern and Southern religions and the foreign Red God. Bit annoying, but having four religions, including one that's fairly minor until much later on, might have been a bit too confusing for some people. They can just make the faceless men a different sect or division of the R'hllor worship and make things work out reasonably.

He was referring to the Red God because they were going to burn to death, thus Rhollor being involved. They were going to burn to death in the book, and when he talked to Arya in the books he referenced the Red God or Rhollor as well.

We don't learn anything about the Many Faced God until Arya gets to Braavos.

I just remembered the one thing that annoyed me because it was at the beginning of the episode. Renly ought to have been in full armour when the shadow killed him. It helped to lay doubt on Brienne's part in his death.

Well, unlike in the books, no one really blames Brienne. Everyone is just confused and doesn't know what really happened.

Does Jaquen reference the Red God in the books?

Faceless Men are supposed to revere the "Many Faced God"

He does. The Faceless Men believe all the gods are only aspects of the one true God they call He of Many Faces.

Edited by J.S. Crews

Favorite - Brienne's acting. Dany's blue dress (I want that!). Jaqen (exact image in my head from book).

Least favorite - The secret door in Qarth, the Reeds being cut (really stood out in this episode). Oh, and The Tickler not getting the proper death. That was definitely the most disappointing. Really wanted to see Arya kill him.

Edited by hk47

Another thing I just thought I'd throw out there: I'm not exactly sure why, but after that scene with Davos, I am totally behind Stephen Dillane as Stannis now. I had a few doubts at first, but something about his acting in that scene was just so perfectly Stannis.

Another thing I just thought I'd throw out there: I'm not exactly sure why, but after that scene with Davos, I am totally behind Stephen Dillane as Stannis now. I had a few doubts at first, but something about his acting in that scene was just so perfectly Stannis.

I think Dillane is great. I think most of the time when he comes off wrong is due to bad writing, not him. He was definitely Stannis in this episode though.

Edited by hk47

Drogon was adorable... and so was Doreah. Va va va- voom! :devil: :drool: :bowdown: :love:

I won't deny that keeping Doreah alive was a change I am fully in favor of.

The change in blame over Renly's death was somewhat troublesome but I can live with it. I'm more interested/concerned about what the death of the Tickler means for Arya's scene down the road but given the way the show's working I'm not sure it's as big a deal (I don't know if viewers would have the same visceral reaction book readers did).