[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

This episode didn't leave me reeling quite as much as the last one. But I liked it. I'm going to miss Renly and his glib tongue. Props to Joe Dempsey to make up for it.

I can't believe more haven't mentioned Pyat Pree and how downright creepy he was. He's one of the most captivating characters the HBO series has seen so far. I am expecting the Undying episode to be pretty fantastic.

I am not sold on the Arya/Tywin thing. I thing both actors are great, but I just don't buy it. I can't imagine he wouldn't yell or raise a hand to her for lying to him like she did about where she came from. The whole situation and the way they interact strikes me as completely implausible. I can't to see how they have her escaping Harrenhal. She also better not wish for Tywin's death, because if it happens that way it will completely change Tyrion's character dynamic for the worse.

I am not sold on the Arya/Tywin thing. I thing both actors are great, but I just don't buy it. I can't imagine he wouldn't yell or raise a hand to her for lying to him like she did about where she came from. The whole situation and the way they interact strikes me as completely implausible. I can't to see how they have her escaping Harrenhal. She also better not wish for Tywin's death, because if it happens that way it will completely change Tyrion's character dynamic for the worse.

Yes, he seems very....sympathetic in the show. Book Tywin seems to be a lot more brutal. It's hard to be too upset since they're acting is great and they really play the characters flawlessly, but it does seem a little old. I never thought of your last sentence....that would be too weird.

Yes, he seems very....sympathetic in the show. Book Tywin seems to be a lot more brutal. It's hard to be too upset since they're acting is great and they really play the characters flawlessly, but it does seem a little old. I never thought of your last sentence....that would be too weird.

Book Tywin never really is *that* brutal - we just view him through the eyes of Stark sympathizers. He has always been this sort of fair man who can be cruel but just does what he thinks is the best thing to do as a ruler.

I never thought of your last sentence....that would be too weird.
To me it's where Tyrion proves he's really a Lannister.  A more thoughtful and fancy-free Lannister, but a Lannister all the same.

Edit: Alright, this forum software inserting a bunch of HTML tags where they don't belong is a tad annoying....

Edited by Jovet

Tywin has nothing to gain by killing a working pair of legs. He said as much last episode, and Arya wasn't being insubordinate -- only cautious. Tywin's not an idiot, and he was proving a point to his lords. Arya herself was relatively insignificant to him until he turned sour at "anyone can be killed."

As to the Tywin's death, I think they're just building tension, making us believe that Arya would want to kill Tywin. I doubt they would actually change such an important dynamic.

Book Tywin never really is *that* brutal - we just view him through the eyes of Stark sympathizers.  He has always been this sort of fair man who can be cruel but just does what he thinks is the best thing to do as a ruler.

I agree. And he just can't be so naïve as to take that stare from Arya after she had just gotten done saying "anyone can die" as anything but a threat to his person.

I just never remember Tywin even being remotely friendly....in the show, he's bordered on friendliness a few times. At the same time, however, we don't really see how Tywin acts all of the time in the book, but just through the eyes of certain characters.

I know I shouldn’t, but I find myself rooting for Jorah. Maybe it is just the actor.

When I was in high school, I fell in love with the girl who played Juliet in a production of Romeo and Juliet...which I was directing.

I have always rooted for Jorah.

Edited by A Dark And Stormy Knight

But how did Cassell get from Oxcross to Winterfell in like a week?

I never saw him at Oxcross, unless I'm crazy. The last time I remember seeing or hearing anything about Ser Rodrik was before Robb sent Catelyn south to the Stormlands. He told her he would send him back to Winterfell to look after the boys.

Tywin's brutality is usually carried out by others, like the Mountain. I think he's just amused by his cupbearer.

The exchange between him and Arya was great but now that she knows that Jaqen is legit it'll be hard to believe that her next pick wouldn't be Tywin considering he is right there and that she understands what his death would mean.

My guess is that Polliver lays a beating on her and she bumps into Jaqen right after and makes the impulsive decision to have him nicked.

Not at all what I pictured a ship from the Iron Isles to look like. I always pictured something more like a viking longship.

Please don't call them Vikings. LOL! J/k but that is a nitpick of mine. Viking describes an activity, not a people. People called Danes went viking i.e. raiding i.e. pillaging. It got bastardized as their name somehow (along with the idiotic image of those ridiculous horned "Viking" helmets that never really existed) due to the writings of retarded monks from the period.

But, yes... the Iron Islanders ought to be using longships. I think they just changed that because it made for a more striking visual.

As to the Tywin's death, I think they're just building tension, making us believe that Arya would want to kill Tywin. I doubt they would actually change such an important dynamic.

Especially since Tywin’s role is much more important in SOS. If they did that, I would really start to question myself whether or not I should continue watching the show…

Arya can't kill Tywin. It would do serious damage to the next two seasons. They are painting themselves into a serious corner though with Arya and Tywin.

I haven't read the books in a while but the wildfire...wasn't it Cersei's idea in the book to use it but Tyrion is the one who made it work?

Book Tywin never really is *that* brutal - we just view him through the eyes of Stark sympathizers. He has always been this sort of fair man who can be cruel but just does what he thinks is the best thing to do as a ruler.

Exactly. Tywin is calculating and ruthless, but rarely is he needlessly cruel (with a few exceptions), even in the books.

Yes! My apologies for not mentioning Quaithe. That mask was very, very freaky.

literally sat up and said "WTF" alone when i saw that. I'm thrilled they brought her and Pyatt in. I was expecting his lips to be insanely blue and obvious but I don't care that they weren't, my imagination was just running on hyperdrive while reading. I think her coming up in the middle of the crowd was almost more disconcerting than her riding up in the desert. One of the changes in this ep that I approved of!

does anyone think Jorah's outfit looks like a cowboy? Maybe it was the blue scarf bandana and the belt. I was expecting him to pick up a cowboy hat and start spitting tobacco

(along with the idiotic image of those ridiculous horned "Viking" helmets that never really existed) due to the writings of retarded monks from the period.

Not 'retarded' monks, my friend. Frightened, superstitious men in a frightening, superstitious time--confronted with a terrifying new enemy no one in their world had ever envisioned. Not retarded.

As mentioned several times in the thread, this was almost word-for-word from the books.

you're right, I just looked at that now, The Red God has his due sweet girl and only death my pay for life....

Jaqen repeatedly refers to R'hllor because he, Rorge, and Biter were going to burn alive if Arya didn't help. So she stole their deaths from R'hllor, the firey aspect of the Many Faced God

and that makes sense, I'm starting to remember that now as well... I still hope in the long run they keep them separate

This hasn't been mentioned, and I'm jumping forward a bit, but Brienne makes Catelyn swear that she will not get in the way when she wants to kill Stannis. I can't recall if such a conversation exists in the books, or if they even come to the conclusion that it was Stannis, but could this possibly lead to Brienne's word which saves her from her hanging at Stoneheart's command in the future of the show?

Maybe not as a reason to get out, but to tell Catelyn basically that she never got that opportunity and she was denying it to her.

Just throwing it out there. :)