[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

Hmm, the more I think about it, the worse the sigil scene between Arya and Tywin seems. A non-noble girl lying to a high lord about where she was from would certainly raise Tywin's suspicions, yet he lets it go. I know what the show was trying to convey, but it doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Given the differences in elocution between the high and low born that we see in the later books, it makes even less sense that Tywin wouldn't be suspicious.

Edited by CloudFlare

Hmm, the more I think about it, the worse the sigil scene between Arya and Tywin seems. A non-noble girl lying to a high lord about where she was from would certainly raise Tywin's suspicions, yet he lets it go. I know what the show was trying to convey, but it doesn't make any sense.

Not only does he let her go after the lie, he lets her serve him water after she looks him dead in the eyes with an unwavering stare and tells him "anyone can be killed".

ASOIAF is indeed where anyone can be killed, especially people who do stupid shit like that. ACOK was about Arya learning how to survive in a warzone, and I don't think a "You tell him gurl!" moment like this fits the atmosphere that Game of Thrones should have.

Edited by salt

Only thing I didn't like about the episode was Arya's subliminal threats to Tywin and him allowing her to flat out mean mug him when she went to fetch the water, totally out of character. We all know Arya is bold, but she should be smarter than to talk to a high lord like that, and Tywin would not have taken shit from anybody lesser than a high lord let alone a random peasant..

Only read to page 6 of the thread...

I think the scene in the House of the Undying will be that Dany goes in, they cut to a different scene, (preferably Jon, blue rose and all that). Cut back to Quarth, Dany comes stumbling out, Pyat Pree goes mental, Jorah cuts him down. Later she recounts what she saw. The scene is too trippy for viewers to make sense of anyway, it would be like a David Lynch movie.

The House of the Undying was almost all visual in the books. It's just Danaerys with Drogon, so there's almost no dialogue until the very end (in the blue heart room), there's no expository dialogue needed, and there are opportunities for some really fantastic, impressive visuals.

This is probably the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing, even more than the Battle of Blackwater Bay...if they do it right, take their time, and really make the House of the Undying as freaky as it's supposed to be, it has the potential to be awesome. I really hope they don't skip over it like they've done with every battle scene to date.

did anyone else notice the exclusion of the scene where Jon Snow and Ghost find the cache of dragonglass knives, arrowheads and also the HORN OF WINTER? if the horn becomes a key item in the future novels, how will the HBO writers recover from leaving out this scene?

They also leave out Jon seeing the Wildlings at the Milkwater, in his dream. Which is the whole reason Qhorin wanted Jon to go on the Ranging. Qhorin said that the "old powers were awakening" in the books, and that's why he wanted Jon to go, because Qhorin knew Jon was a Warg and a son of Winterfell, so the magic of the First Men would be strong in him.

I can't stress enough how much I hated them making Jon say, "I fought and killed a Wight, how many Rangers can say that". Jon would never say that to the Old Bear, and it makes Jon seem like such a Brat. His character got over that in the first book, and the first season, Jon no longer thinks he is better than everyone. So why is the show trying to forget all that character development from season one and book one? It's ridiculous.

The House of the Undying was almost all visual in the books. It's just Danaerys with Drogon, so there's almost no dialogue until the very end (in the blue heart room), there's no expository dialogue needed, and there are opportunities for some really fantastic, impressive visuals.

This is probably the scene I'm most looking forward to seeing, even more than the Battle of Blackwater Bay...if they do it right, take their time, and really make the House of the Undying as freaky as it's supposed to be, it has the potential to be awesome. I really hope they don't skip over it like they've done with every battle scene to date.

Do you think they will show the flashback of Rhaegar in it?

They also leave out Jon seeing the Wildlings at the Milkwater, in his dream. Which is the whole reason Qhorin wanted Jon to go on the Ranging. Qhorin said that the "old powers were awakening" in the books, and that's why he wanted Jon to go, because Qhorin knew Jon was a Warg and a son of Winterfell, so the magic of the First Men would be strong in him.

I guess Jon's dream will be cut, instead replaced by him just seing with his own eyes, like from the top of a moutain Mance's camp, even if it may turn out to be a weird choice for the story...

Good episode overall. Renly's death scene seemed rushed to me but Arya, Bran, Dany and Jon's parts were great. Quaithe was creepy, but it's weird to see her talking to Jorah directly. Pyat Pree is even creepier with that trick of his: the Undying scene is going to be great I think.

I'm liking the direction they are heading with Bran's storyline and his costume too; it seems that Jojen won't be casted overall and if at the end of TWIW he's just going to die beyond the Wall it seems ok. But what's going on with Rickon lol? Why crushing walnuts while Bran is giving audience? Seems he's bored to death haha

At the end it was a great episode, didn't mind the changes but Renly's sequence was too rushed and awkward.

Great episode. Considering the changes that the writers felt were necessary, it's still amazing how much of the book they transfer to the series. The Fist of the First Men might differ from the book, but one has to admire the scenery of Iceland and the logistics of filming there.

Dolorous Edd is great, I didn't pick up on his humour so much on my first read, but he is hilarious. Great chemistry between him, Grenn and Sam.

Tyrion great as ever but I think the best line of this episode goes to Wisdom Hallyne: "Our order does not deal in pigshit."

Dolorous Edd is great, I didn't pick up on his humour so much on my first read

"There is nothing as sickening as a man in love."

"I've read it in a book."

"Please, would you stop talking ?"

I don't like that Tyrion didn't catch that they were calling him the little demon monkey, Bronn would never have to tell him that if Tyrion heard the guy talking. Tyrion is smarter than that.

I agree.

Edited by Arkash

Do my eyes deceive me or was this the first episode with no sex or nudity? Looks like they have prepared 20 minutes of pure sex for the next episode, then.

I know, it was crazy, I didn't think they could go a whole episode without showing any nudity, judging by the second season so far. I do not mind the nudity at all, as long as its not pointless.

I will admit though, I am a little disappointed that there has been no nude scenes with Daenerys yet... I would be telling a lie if I said I haven't been waiting for one of those in season two....

Also brienne? Kilin the guards instead of loras? And then he dont blame her?

The way I remember that in the books is Brienne had to kill the few guards that rushed into the tent before they killed her.  Loras later slew the rest of the guards present because he grieved so hard and he felt them responsible for not protecting Renly.

I understand why they let Maisie Williams say hear infamous line, "Anyone can be killed."  But I don't get the part where she says it to Tywin's face.  You just don't do that to a high lord who has laser beam eyes and can have your tongue cut out.  I think they understood each other that they aren't on the same side.

I completely agree.  It strikes me as insolence that someone like Tywin would never seem to tolerate.  I had to wince.

Not only does he let her go after the lie, he lets her serve him water after she looks him dead in the eyes with an unwavering stare and tells him "anyone can be killed".

Yep!  But he did shove his food away. :)

At the end it was a great episode, didn't mind the changes but Renly's sequence was too rushed and awkward.

I thought the same.  There was such a wide shot on Renly for so long when he was standing all alone it was completely obvious something bad was about to happen.  You'd think they would have strived more to surprise the unaware.  The scene leading up to the death just didn't flow right.  Could have been the first bad direction the series has seen; will need to watch it again.  I thought everything after the killing was okay, though I would have preferred for Catelyn to have dragged Brienne from the scene of the crime.  Their acting from the death through the end of the episode was phenomenal!  Loved seeing Brienne wield that sword.  This show continues to amaze me with how well its actors execute--they are just so damn impressive!

For some reason the first comment that comes to mind is that I didn't like Quaithe's mask.

Don't get me wrong, it was a cool mask...but I always imagined hers as a smooth hard shell, and that you could not see any part of her face move, just a disembodied voice from an unreadable figure. So this interpretation was a little odd.

It wasn't what I was expecting, but then I wasn't sure what to expect with the mask.  I *was* expecting a hood or shroud of some kind, worn by someone fatter, and a scratchy eerie voice, though.  I need to watch that sequence again.

Edited by Jovet