[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

I'm really not surprised that they got rid of Jojen and Meera's characters. While they work well in the book, they're pretty easy to replace and consolidate into Bran and Osha in the show. Personally, I don't think it's a huge loss in the grand scheme of things. The show is an interpretation of the book, not an exact copy of it.

This was my favorite episode so far this season. Definitely sets up the next 5 episodes, which should be epic.

I couldn't help but notice how they downsize the standard of season 1. If they're going to have a big battle scene (movie style) they had to cut the budget...you can see it in the sets, all interiors (except Dany's this episode)... Cersei's room I find it strange... season 2 winterfell, too.

The wardrobe is also a bit economic than last Season (Cersei's have only one dress, and Margaery, and Sansa). But the most important is that it seems they can't afford the hbo's A list of directors (the ones used in Boardwalk, The Wire, Sopranos, SATC) except Alan Taylor, and have to go with people from Entourage and Big Love... This is starting to show in the overall season 2, in my opinion.

Besides that, I love this show and this is a tough book to adapt.

edit: when I said "all interiors" I was thinking in KL and winterfell and the visual difference with season 1. They have exteriors for the north of the wall scenes and pyke,

Edited by sagaz

No Goat????????That was one huge dissapointment for me...

I have to say that this haven't crossed my mind until that I red this.

No Goat at all...

They can't have been cutting him off aswell, I mean the Brave Companions have to turn up sooner or later (Rather sooner)

I'm getting a bit disappointed about all the characters that's getting cut.

The Reed's is a BIG minus if they wont show up at all, thinking of what's coming.

And even though the CGI being so expensive and it's being saved for Blackwater, the lack of both the dragons and Summer is getting overwhelming.

It is so wrong to not have Roos at Harenhal!

There's still some things that needs to happen before he comes to Harrenhal.

I hope that the breakup between Robb and Roose will have it's own scene so it's obvious for the audience why Roose actually went to Harrenhal.

Would be too confusing to just have him talking about flaying prisoners with Robb in one episode, then being in Harrenhal in the other.

Can't wait for the whole Harrenhal escape with Arya and J'quen, hope they didn't save in any expenses there, now not to neglect any other coming happenings.

Edited by Goodbrother

Not only does he let her go after the lie, he lets her serve him water after she looks him dead in the eyes with an unwavering stare and tells him "anyone can be killed".

ASOIAF is indeed where anyone can be killed, especially people who do stupid shit like that. ACOK was about Arya learning how to survive in a warzone, and I don't think a "You tell him gurl!" moment like this fits the atmosphere that Game of Thrones should have.

It's a bit odd.

There has been enough time since even when Tyrion found out they did not have Arya at KL for a raven to have gotten to Tywin with that knowledge.

I don't know where D&D are going with this. Could be that Tywin does know it's Arya. He must know a general physical description of her, and high born speaking does get noticed (Jamie notices this about Brienne.)

Maybe Tywin does know it's her...and figures she can't escape or has some other reason in mind.

Has anybody else picked up on the non-gorget piercing death blow to Renly?? Or am I the only one. My memory from the end of Storm of Swords is a bit fuzzy but I am pretty sure that that was the key evidence that convinced Loras that it actually could not have been Brienne that killed Renly.

Some clarification for me please, as I reacted immediately when I saw Brienne take OFF the gorget instead of putting it on and THEN the demon silled him through the throat.

They got the Blackwater money they wanted , or well , at least an extra 1 million for that episode.

I don't think CGI, good CGI , is THAT expensive, in fact I think it's price has come down.

But never mind, in an interview with Emilia Clarke last week she stated that D&D did not want to over expose the dragons , so that's their choice.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm a film/CGI expert, but from everything I've heard or read, good CGI is still very expensive.

Now, here's the key.

Is good CGI expensive for a 2 hour movie with a 100 million dollar budget? Perhaps not.

Is good CGI expensive for a 10 hour television show witha 40 million dollar budget that already has a large portion earmarked for a huge battle sequence? I would say it's a bit more of a sacrifice.

And while you are correct that the price has come down, it's not an all across the board decrease. Like any product, there are levels of quality. Sure, CGI is cheaper if you are throwing people in front of a fake looking greenscreen and are okay with hideous Syfy channel original movie SFX. But if you want seamless, realistic CGI? You're still going to have to fork over the cash.

It's no different than any other product really. Take cars. Sure, cars have become ubiquitous and we've basically perfected the means of producing them. Yet there are still junkers that cost 1000 dollars and fall to pieces in two years, and name brands that cost 100,000 dollars and look nicer and have all the other accoutrements. Same thing with CGI--I think D&D would rather limit the dragons' exposure than to have a bunch of episodes fill with some terrible generic CGI piece of crap.

This Stannis is growing on me. He was great this episode.

Briennes fight scene was pretty awesome. Especially the coup de grace she put on the guy with the downward stab to the back of the neck.

I wish the would have shown Renly's green armour more. Not really sure if they are planning on showing Garlan in it on the battle on the blackwater.

Pyrat was awesome. Very freaky looking.

About as much of a chance as a noseless Tyrion and Davos with a left hand mutilation :cool4:

They did say that the actor playing Davos had to wear a glove with his fingers knuckled up at the tips to show the shortened fingers that gave him cramps. Pity bc I havent been able to catch this effect.

This Stannis is growing on me. He was great this episode.

Briennes fight scene was pretty awesome. Especially the coup de grace she put on the guy with the downward stab to the back of the neck.

I wish the would have shown Renly's green armour more. Not really sure if they are planning on showing Garlan in it on the battle on the blackwater.

Pyrat was awesome. Very freaky looking.

I noticed some Stannis teeth grinding this episode, I liked it :P

I'm really expecting a ton of changes to Dany's story as this series goes on. I don't remember but was Xaro Xhoan Daxos's vault scene in the book?

I don't remember anything about a vault but I might be wrong there. I agree with you though about changes to Dany's story. Actually I hope so, because in the books (especially later on) her POV becomes rather tedious. Judging from the short preview of the sixth episode there will be some sort of conflict with the Thirteen, or was that the House of the Undying. Really unsure about that one. I am also curious how the dragons will be used in the series, now that we have seen Drogon and one of the other two again (couldn't tell which). Of course I know Drogon will show us some "dracarys" soon, but I am wondering about Rhaegal and Viserion. It all depends on the CGI budget I guess, a majority of which will be used for the Blackwater. So how much dragon action can the show afford this season?

did anyone else notice the exclusion of the scene where Jon Snow and Ghost find the cache of dragonglass knives, arrowheads and also the HORN OF WINTER? if the horn becomes a key item in the future novels, how will the HBO writers recover from leaving out this scene?

he did not find the Horn of Joramun. He found a broken horn that he gave to Sam. The Horn of Winter isnt uncovered until a LOT later - when Jon comes to parley with Mance, after he has deserted the Watch and returned, and right before Stannis rides up.

Edited by rmholt

I couldn't help but notice how they downsize the standard of season 1. If they're going to have a big battle scene (movie style) they had to cut the budget...you can see it in the sets, all interiors (except Dany's this episode)... Cersei's room I find it strange... season 2 winterfell, too.

The wardrobe is also a bit economic than last Season (Cersei's have only one dress, and Margaery, and Sansa). But the most important is that it seems they can't afford the hbo's A list of directors (the ones used in Boardwalk, The Wire, Sopranos, SATC) except Alan Taylor, and have to go with people from Entourage and Big Love... This is starting to show in the overall season 2, in my opinion.

Besides that, I love this show and this is a tough book to adapt.

In terms of directors Alan Taylor was around last year,Alik Sakharov has directed one of the best episodes this season, and David Petraca did a fine job of E5. Not sure I know who David Nutter is. We have a lot of Alan Taylor this year. Neil Marshall is supposed to be an A list film director.

I think any problems have been with the teleplays not the directors.

I'm really not surprised that they got rid of Jojen and Meera's characters. While they work well in the book, they're pretty easy to replace and consolidate into Bran and Osha in the show. Personally, I don't think it's a huge loss in the grand scheme of things. The show is an interpretation of the book, not an exact copy of it.

I agree. Though I enjoyed those characters in the book, it does not make sense for the TV show. Especially when you have the caliber of actor of Osha. Adding two more child actors to the show and expecting them to carry interesting dialogue with them north of the wall would just be too big of a risk.