[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

It would have taken all of ten seconds for Xaro to explain to Dany about the Qartheen fashion. Problem solved.

Also, many people knew about the Qartheen gowns being in the books, it's something that's been talked about a lot, every since they decided to make the show.

All that translates to though is "excuse to show a breast". I don't disagree that they easily could have explained it, but given the reputation that is growing about sex/nudity it may very well come off as hoaky to non book readers that don't know the Qarth fasion.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Stannis casting at first, mostly because I clearly visualised Mark Strong when reading the books, but Stephen Dillane is absolutely crushing that character. Liam Cunningham is another astounding piece of casting, and the dynamic between the two really is top drawer.

I really don't want to start whinging, but Renly's death scene was extremely poorly scripted, directed and shot. It was a really, really poor scene. I think Renly has been the worst element of the TV adaptation tbh. The character has been poorly written and poorly cast from the very beginning.

Anyway, I don't want to dwell on the negative; I think they're doing an excellent job, and generally the casting has surpassed all my expectations. Another enjoyable episode.

Im still deciding about this episode, but is it just me or did that slave chick Doreah get like a billion times hotter?

Hehe, my sentiments exactly ... this is the first time we see her all clean and dressed beautifully ... she is hot as hell, Amrita Acharia too.

@ iheartseverus:

I am pretty sure we saw the green dragon, (Rhaegal?) in this episode, in a cage right after Dany put Drogon back in his own cage.

As to the red god, yes, Jaqen repeatedly refers to R'hllor because he, Rorge, and Biter were going to burn alive if Arya didn't help. So she stole their deaths from R'hllor, the firey aspect of the Many Faced God.

I still have my problems with that...due to what we find out from Arya's encounter with FM 'philosophy' in Feast and Dance...

George has said he that as a writer he is a 'gardener' not an 'architect' so I will shut up about it and go with George.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Stannis casting at first, mostly because I clearly visualised Mark Strong when reading the books, but Stephen Dillane is absolutely crushing that character. Liam Cunningham is another astounding piece of casting, and the dynamic between the two really is top drawer.

By the by I meant to mention this for E4.

Did anyone notice that when Davos called her the Red Woman, Stannis corrected him by saying 'she has a name'.... and then seconds later when Davos asks what Stannis want's him to smuggle , Stannis says : "The Red Woman".

Har!

They also leave out Jon seeing the Wildlings at the Milkwater, in his dream. Which is the whole reason Qhorin wanted Jon to go on the Ranging. Qhorin said that the "old powers were awakening" in the books, and that's why he wanted Jon to go, because Qhorin knew Jon was a Warg and a son of Winterfell, so the magic of the First Men would be strong in him.

I can't stress enough how much I hated them making Jon say, "I fought and killed a Wight, how many Rangers can say that". Jon would never say that to the Old Bear, and it makes Jon seem like such a Brat. His character got over that in the first book, and the first season, Jon no longer thinks he is better than everyone. So why is the show trying to forget all that character development from season one and book one? It's ridiculous.

People are getting mixed up on the timeline there. Jon doesn't have his wolfdream until they're already up in the mountains. In fact doesn't that dream end by Ghost being attacked by the eagle?

Yeah, Jon's line was lame.

Found the part in the book and Jon doesn't have his dream until after freeing Yrgritte.

On the surface the only things Halfhand knows is he knew Jon's father and grandfather, expects no help from anyone but the Starks and that Jon has a direwolf and gives his reasons to the Old Bear as,

“The old gods are still strong beyond the Wall. The gods of the First Men . . . and the Starks.” Mormont looked at Jon. “What is your will in this?” “To go,” he said at once. The old man smiled sadly. “I thought it might be.”

Edited by bloodymime

Best Episode of the Season by far!

I could be wrong but was the Valerian Vault bit a part of the book i cannot recall?

All i hope is that Meera and Jojen get introduced soon, after all they are the ones who decipher Bran's dreams and take him North. Unless they plan on making Osha that roll.

By the by I meant to mention this for E4.

Did anyone notice that when Davos called her the Red Woman, Stannis corrected him by saying 'she has a name'.... and then seconds later when Davos asks what Stannis want's him to smuggle , Stannis says : "The Red Woman".

Har!

Lol actually if I'm not mistaken, I think he says YOUR red woman--more like he's gently mocking Davos than anything.

Roy Dotrice as the Pyromancer and Bronn's dialogue was one of my favorite additions to the story. Roy rocks. The only thing I missed was the part of the story where it stated that the Dragon's Fire was easier to make all off a sudden(birth of dragons). The Rat in the background, when Tyrion said they would now be making the Dragon Fire for him was a nice touch.

Anyone else love the scene with the Golden "goose". The dothraki debating how to take it made me laugh, then Kovarro blantanly steals a cup. Well done.

I knew the episode was over when Jaqen raised the one finger. They are so good at ending an episode.

Don't know why introducing Ser Imry Florent as the fleet commander would have confused the audience.

I don't see where he is set up for that. In the novel it is Stannis and Florent who ignore Davos's idea to send some of Salladhor Saan's quick ships as a probe. They would have discovered the chain. So really, in the end, and I think they will keep it, Stannis has only himself to blame.

Still hope.

Ser Imry Florent is being played by Gordon Mahn: http://www.lbmactors.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=359

The actor's folks probably cheered when he got the part of Rickon, thinking they'd be rich, but with his limited time on screen, they're probably living in a van down by the river.

You killed me with this!!!! :lol: :lmao: So sad, but true!

Edited by Baitac

I don't think Tywin will know who he has. He has to leave Harranhal to get to KL during Ep9. After he leaves we will get the Weasel Soup revolution and the Brave Companions being left in charge. This will force Arya to escape despite it being in the hands of :"her people". It wouldn't shock me if they end her season with her being scooped up by Sandor.

I still have my problems with that...due to what we find out from Arya's encounter with FM 'philosophy' in Feast and Dance... George has said he that as a writer he is a 'gardener' not an 'architect' so I will shut up about it and go with George.

In the book, Jaqen says the quote pretty much exactly as they said it in the show. "The Red God must have his due..." We don't learn anything about the Many Faced God in ACOK, so why would we in the show?

Maybe this has been brought up, I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything on it, but the part with the vault... Valyrian stone? Was this material ever mentioned in the books?

No - not really sure what they were getting at with that statement.

But there is no nudity in Qarth, so they can't very well be bothered by its existence. The errors of the producers shouldn't reflect on the fact that in conception, the Qartheen fashion -- women with a bare breast, mean in beaded skirts -- is perfectly understandable as cultural dress that doesn't exist to titillate viewers/readers but rather emphasizes the way that Qarth is different, decadent, and strange.

Exactly! They could have gotten rid of the sleazy blowjobs etc, and kept the Qartheen fashion, it would have been way more tasteful, and the demand for nudity would be fulfilled. But no, HBO had to go and do the opposite.

This is almost the exact sentiments I had while watching last night. I am really enjoying the series, but I am having some issues with some of the decisions. Why show Roz in whore training and not the proper fashion in Quarth? It just makes me wonder what they will do further down the line, such as in Mereen and the funky dresses and hair styles they have there. Like Ran said, it is part of the culture and style from one place to the next.

I watch with my wife, who has not read the books. I look to her reactions for a lot of what goes on. I was good with Renly's death. He was supposed to die, he's dead. I thought the CGI was pretty cool. But last night was the first time I have said, "oh hell no," out load. When Bran starts relaying Jojeen's dream.......that is just not the way it is supposed to be. I can understand the need to consolidate roles and lines, but seriously, two extra kids in the show? At the very least, Meera plays a pretty important role in Bran's life.