[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

what the hell was up with Quaithe's mask?? BDSM much? I definitely did not expect that....

I always pictured it as a smooth one-piece mask, kind of like a Japanese medieval theater mask. The

And Pyat Pree - one of "the Thirteen"?? It's the unnecessary changes that are made for the TV series that are perhaps the most frustrating.

Edited by Arataniello

There was no vault in the books ... and by the way: it is supposedly made of Valyrian STONE???

I really liked Brienne´s fighting scene, very badass.

this is the second time we see somebody killed by apparently having a sword somehow stuck down their back from above (the first was Yoren) ... how is this supposed to work? I doubt the sword can be slid between vertebrae that way and the subclavia is between neck and clavicle, down from your left shoulder...

I always pictured it as a smooth one-piece mask, kind of like a Japanese medieval theater mask. The

And Pyat Pree - one of "the Thirteen"?? It's the unnecessary changes that are made for the TV series that are perhaps the most frustrating.

I don't think it was unnecessary. The show needs to explain how magic used to be a myth and legend, and how it is now coming back into the world. Hence, you have Pyat Pree at the party thrown by the 13, being ridiculed by Xaro because of his "parlor tricks". When Dany goes to the House of the Undying, and they show her that magic is indeed a real thing now, it will be much more dramatic for the viewer.

Books are allowed to be subtle, the show has to put it right up front and in your face, or else it gets lost.

Also, was reading back a bit...dunno if anyone else said this, however Jaqen's reference to the three lives taken from the Red God....perhaps he said that because Arya saved them from fire (burning cage)...and the red god deals in fire?

Dunno but I loved Jaqen's character, a girl thinks a man is very sexy.

Did Quaithe really told Jorah she is no one?

No.

The dialogue was strictly between Dany and Quaithe with Jorah as a stand-by.

".From her Dany received only one warning. 'beware,' the woman in the red lacquer mask said.

'Of whom?'

'Of all. They shall come day and night to see the wonder that has been born again into the world, and when they see they shall lust. For dragons are fire made flesh, and fire is power'"

I find it a bit disturbing that the dialogue was towards Jorah instead, without Dany even present, since this dialogue itself makes Dany start thinking back to the whole Drogo situation with Mirri Maz Duur.

It feels they are blowing up the whole love story between Dany and Jorah. Even though it gets pretty essential in the coming events/books they could have kept it a bit more subtle this early in the story.

When Bran starts relaying Jojeen's dream.......that is just not the way it is supposed to be. I can understand the need to consolidate roles and lines, but seriously, two extra kids in the show? At the very least, Meera plays a pretty important role in Bran's life.

It's not just two extra kids though. The whole Reed family, and associated mythology, has been re-written so far.

My crackpot theory for a book-to-TV change: Jaquen is going to kill Tywin.

That's not going to happen. I'm sure of that. They won't kill of such a brilliant character, played by such a brilliant actor when it's not necessary. His end will come soon, by the hands of his son.

I don't think it was unnecessary. The show needs to explain how magic used to be a myth and legend, and how it is now coming back into the world. Hence, you have Pyat Pree at the party thrown by the 13, being ridiculed by Xaro because of his "parlor tricks". When Dany goes to the House of the Undying, and they show her that magic is indeed a real thing now, it will be much more dramatic for the viewer.

Books are allowed to be subtle, the show has to put it right up front and in your face, or else it gets lost.

In the show I watched last night, Xaro said that Pyat Pree is "on of the Thirteen", this being the collective term for the rulers of Qarth.

In the book I read, Pyat Pree and the warlocks are completely separate from The Thirteen, who are described in terms that indicate they are one of three merchant guilds/cartels that compete against one another in Qarth.

Like I said, an unnecessary change.

Why do people keep repeating this? I've seen it in about 5 different places at this stage. I'm almost 100% certain that it is Bran who has the dream about the sea coming to Winterfell. He tells the dream to Jojen, but it's Bran's dream.

I just read that part, and it's Jojjen who has the dream, right after the raven from Robb arrives.

It's here where Bran starts to believe Jojjen is a green-seer and not just pretending.

He explains that he sees both winterfell cepton, maester and even their Blacksmith (Mikken)

That's not going to happen. I'm sure of that. They won't kill of such a brilliant character, played by such a brilliant actor when it's not necessary. His end will come soon, by the hands of his son.

If you had to guess, who will be Jaquen's third kill?

They haven't been rewritten, just excluded. I hope they'll stick them in for next season it wouldn't be hard.

I think they'll definitely stick them in for next season. Bran going north of the wall with just Hodor would be odd.

BTW, exclusion is still rewriting. I don't know why you had to take a jab at my point there...

I just read that part, and it's Jojjen who has the dream, right after the raven from Robb arrives.

It's here where Bran starts to believe Jojjen is a green-seer and not just pretending.

He explains that he sees both winterfell cepton, maester and even their Blacksmith (Mikken)

Yeah I deleted my post almost immediately after posting it. Need to lay off the sour leaf I think.

I think they'll definitely stick them in for next season. Bran going north of the wall with just Hodor would be odd.

BTW, exclusion is still rewriting. I don't know why you had to take a jab at my point there...

I just meant its not like we've been explicitly told that Howland Reed wasn't with Ned at the Tower of Joy, or that the Reeds don't live at Greywater Watch or that they aren't bannermen of the Starks. We just haven't been told anything about them yet, which leaves hope that all this can be explained later. But the mythology and the history of the house is still in tact; it just hasn't been revealed to the viewers....yet.

Now, after having seen the episode, I definitely think it would have been better to have the scene with Renly getting stabbed by the shadow monster as the end of the last episode. Melisandre scene happens, it cuts immediately over to the scene with Cat, Renly, and Brienne. Shadow baby appears, stabs Renly, he falls over dead, cut to credits. Then start this episode with the aftermath.

I am a bit uncomfortable with a couple changes. Bran giving the order to send 200 men to Torrhen's Square. That kind of makes what follows his mistake. Along the same lines, Davos being given the command of the attack on the Blackwater Bay. This, again, makes what follows his mistake. They fall into the trap and are destroyed, and so it is Davos that falls into the trap and gets Stannis' army destroyed.

It's not just two extra kids though. The whole Reed family, and associated mythology, has been re-written so far.

I was thinking casting-wise. Still, there should be enough deaths and endings to certain story arcs the rest of this season and the first part of next season to handle the Reed's story arc. For many of the book readers, the Reed story arc is pretty significant.