[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

Plus, they would never be able to guarantee they'd get the same actor back either, meaning he'd have to be re-cast and that would cause even more confusion.

A proper substitute would be Vargo Hoat, tho I don't think he has been cast. If Jamie's story goes , as in the books, think they will need him. I think they are going skip Hoat's death in Feast any way. A worthy opponent for the Hound and having Arya kill him off would be kind of neat!

Didn't Arya kill the Tickler herself? I guess they had to get him out of the way, but I forgot who her first ordered hit was against.

It was Chiswyck, one of the Mountain's men who Arya heard bragging about how the Mountain had raped an inn keepers daughter in front of her Dad, then offered him a handful of coppers for her services.

Enjoyable episode - Peter Dinkage and Maisie Williams stole the show as per. Loved the chemistry between Brienne and Cat. Not too bothered that Arya is depicted as Tywin's cupbearer - as long as we get some Hot Weasel Soup - but will miss The Tickler's death in the books being fleshed out in the screen.

What did bother me though was the butterfly effect caused by Bran having the green dream; obviously no Reeds are forthcoming, but the fact that he stated that he say Ser Rodrick drowning at Winterfell made me think he's not bringing Reek back, therefore no Bastard Of Bolton, no taking Theon hostage, no reveal in ADWD. Maybe D&D have a plan to work this in and I'm panicking, but I'm really missing a certain psychopathic illegitimate Northerner.

Other than that, did they have to make Pyatt Pree Scottish? I'm Scottish myself and all the other Scottish actors on the show (Iain Glen, James Cosmo and the woman who plays Lysa come to mind) are putting on accents, and the first Scottish accent we hear is from a creepy, blue-lipped warlock... Grrr

Edited by joanna snow

dont have ADWD on hand but it goes something like this..

"I keep asking R'holler to show me a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and he shows me only Snow"

Interesting that when looking for Azor Ahai he shows her Snow (capital S). When Jon asks Melisandre later if she had gotten a glimpse of Stannis, she says, no, only snow (small s). I think that tells us a lot.

Interesting that when looking for Azor Ahai he shows her Snow (capital S). When Jon asks Melisandre later if she had gotten a glimpse of Stannis, she says, no, only snow (small s). I think that tells us a lot.

Rh'lorr must be very frustrated with Melisandre by now; he's been trying to send her the information she wants, and she keeps ignoring his signs that yes, A-A is Jon Snow (not Stannis).

After re-watching on HBO Go:

The production crew shot scenes of the shadow transforming from Renly to Stannis, I guess they didn't like how they looked. You see the beginning of that shot, but when the transformation occurs, you only see Catelyn. Shame that didn't work.

Jaqen's helmet: He has it with him when he walks past Arya and pretends not to notice her, but it's on the well when she goes to get water. "Not only did I notice you, but I knew where you were going and could get there before you unnoticed." Actions speak louder than words and Jaqen is awesome...

Where's Pip? I wonder if the actor didn't make the trip to Iceland.

Bronn and Jorah have solidified their spots on the "Perfectly Cast" list for this show. (Arya and Tywin were already there, so they didn't need that scene to prove it)

Pyat's blue lipstick left a smudge on his teeth, whoops.

Jaqen H'ghar was exactly how I pictured him in the books.

Yes! He is being portrayed perfectly!

Loved Gendry shirtless.

I think I gasped when I saw that....yum

Also, Jaqen makes my loins stir.

Hee hee.

Also, Pyat Pree sufficiently freaked me the F out....

Edited by Lady Katherine

What did bother me though was the butterfly effect caused by Bran having the green dream; obviously no Reeds are forthcoming, but the fact that he stated that he say Ser Rodrick drowning at Winterfell made me think he's not bringing Reek back, therefore no Bastard Of Bolton, no taking Theon hostage, no reveal in ADWD. Maybe D&D have a plan to work this in and I'm panicking, but I'm really missing a certain psychopathic illegitimate Northerner.

They can easily skip the whole Reek/Ramsey deception, but still have Ramsey show up with his Dreadfort men and turn on Ser Rodrik. It can just look like he was coming under the cover of joining the force Ser Rodrik was gathering, then betrayed him. Ramsey having the idea of substituting the miller's boys for Bran and Rickon can easily be portrayed as having been Theon's idea alone --- he was the one who had been sleeping with the miller's randy ho of a wife for years anyway. Keep Ramsay in his scary-ass flayed man armor without revealing his face, then cast him later.

Where's Pip? I wonder if the actor didn't make the trip to Iceland.

Pretty sure Pip wasn't on the ranging. He was left at the Wall, I believe. Jon and Sam were the only stewards mentioned, I think (was Dolorous Ed a steward back then?); Jon for obvious reasons and Sam to look after the ravens.

Ummm.... no.... I was never, ever a supporter of Renly's claim. He was a traitor and a usurper and a shitty brother to boot, just like Robert was before him.
Ummm.... no.... I was never, ever a supporter of Renly's claim. He was a traitor and a usurper and a shitty brother to boot, just like Robert was before him.

Sarcasm fail - sorry

Pretty sure Pip wasn't on the ranging. He was left at the Wall, I believe. Jon and Sam were the only stewards mentioned, I think (was Dolorous Ed a steward back then?); Jon for obvious reasons and Sam to look after the ravens.

Correct. pyp not ranging this time

I know I'm a bit late with this, but here's my 2 cents on the 'best claim' and 'better King' debate.

It seems some people can't differentiate between 'who has the best claim to the throne' and 'who would be the best king'? In medieval feudal society, nobility titles were hereditary and 'claim' had nothing to do with capability or popularity (just as capability and popularity have nothing to do with each other, judging by modern politics).

So, of the 'five kings' who has the best claim to the Iron Throne? (Let's keep in mind that Dany, who arguably has the best claim, hasn't come forward to actually claim it yet...).

1. Joffrey: he is the oldest son of the recently deceased king. Yes, we know he isn't legitimate, but as long as Cersei doesn't come forward to confess, there is no way of proving that (you know, no DNA-analysis yet). Actually, I'm quite sure throughout history there have been a few successions where the heir wasn't actually a legitimate son. With all the arranged marriages I don't think it is far fetched to assume that some (most) Queens had their little love-interests on the side. As long as those were kept out of sight of 'the public' I'm also quite sure their Kings wouldn't actually care about that.

2. Stannis: if Joffrey being illegitimate could be proven somehow (and Tommen's as well), next in line is the King's eldest brother. Which means, in his eyes (being sure of the truth about Joffrey and Tommen), Stannis has a legitimate claim.

3. Renly: comes after Stannis whether you accept Joffrey as the legal heir or not. I don't think he ever claims it as 'his right' either. He just figures, if there is going to be chaos and war concerning the succession, he might as well have a stab at it, and backs it up by saying 'at least I would be popular'.

4. Robb: No way. But then again, he doesn't claim it either. He just wants to kick the Lannisters of it after what they did to his father. He does have a claim to the title that he claims (or that was claimed for him?), though.

I'm quite sure if things had gone a different way, he would have had no problem bending the knee to whichever Baratheon ended up on the throne, if that was the end result. Maybe with 'King of the North' as his title as opposed to the 'Warden of the North' of his father, if his role in taking the throne was significant enough.

5. Balon: Again, no way. But neither does he claim it. He just sees an opportunity to take what isn't his in the chaos that has become of the Seven Kingdoms, as the Old Ways of the Ironborn dictate.

So, who would make the better King?

Joffrey: I guess that's obvious. No way! Another Mad King in the making.

Stannis: Debatable. I don't think he would be a 'truly bad' King. He is rather proud of being 'just', and being 'just' is not a bad thing in a King. But his idea of justice is rather hard and unbendable, and being popular is not on his agenda. I can see the occasional conflict arising and being ruthlessly put down. A 'peace under tension' for the kingdom at best.

Renly: In the books, he is described as a younger version of Robert. Their reasons for taking the throne might be different (Robert's was righteous indignation at the acts of the Mad King and his son, Renly is just being opportunistic), I think the result will be the same: a King more interested in 'putting on the King show' than in actually ruling a country. Which means his reign would stand or fall according to who he chooses to be his Hand and thus the actual ruler. We can only hope that, because Renly likes to be popular, he would choose someone who would do a good job.

Robb: Being his father's son, I think he would have been a good King. Ned as a Lord appears to have been someone with honour, someone who didn't disregard 'the common people', and someone who realised a title brings duties as well as rights, and it is clear he did his best to pass on those values to his sons. There is nothing in the books to indicate Robb wouldn't follow his father in his footsteps, except that, well, he doesn't get the chance.

Balon: No. Not even for his own islands. Come on, what is this guy thinking? Though the Ironborn may well like going back to the Old Ways of plundering and pillaging for a while, he should know by now that Westeros will not take that anymore. Eventually things will settle down there, and whoever sits the Iron Throne (or an alliance of the different kingdoms if it comes down to the Seven falling apart) will come to put him in his place again. And I doubt this time they will be happy with a bent knee and just one hostage...

This episode was really good. It had a powerful start and the storyline was kept intact.

The depiction of Renly's dead was ok. Not very impressive but still had an impact on me. I'm still not sure about if the role of Littlefinger is properly portrayed in the show, but I guess it is easier for the viewers to understand the constant change of alliances, when there is only one person responsible for that.

The Tyrion-Lancel scene was hilarious. Bronn is still awesome. Stannis is getting more convincing with every episode.

My personal favourite in this episode - Arya and her line "Anyone can be killed." This girl is the best. Her interaction with Charles Dance is amazing. They are to become my favourite tandem on the show. And Jaquen is also great. Did not really liked that the Tickler was killed that way. But I guess Polliver could serve the same goal.

Catelyn and Brienne also had a very good scene. I can see those two workin' it out very well.

Qhorin was also ok. See how Jon's storyline will go on. I'm pretty positive about that. Want more Ghost and more direwolves.

I was a little confused by the scenes with Dany. Drogon looks awesome but I didn't get the whole dothraki-issue. Hope this becomes more clear in the upcoming episodes.

I didn't get the whole dothraki-issue.

Can't remember for sure what you're talking about, but I think the issue you're referring to was that, even though they're guests in Qarth, they were busy trying to figure out the best way to steal $h*t from their hosts.

Can't remember for sure what you're talking about, but I think the issue you're referring to was that, even though they're guests in Qarth, they were busy trying to figure out the best way to steal $h*t from their hosts.

Ok, I rewatched it and now i get it. But what is the purpose of that? To show that the dothraki are savages and uncivilized? I think that everyone's already aware of that.

Was this actually even in the books?

Ok, I rewatched it and now i get it. But what is the purpose of that? To show that the dothraki are savages and uncivilized? I think that everyone's already aware of that.

Was this actually even in the books?

I don't think so, not even in SoS, in fact her Dothraki 'hord' are always with her, but off stage somewhere.

Her blood riders and hand maidens are always about but where or what the rest are doing George never says.

They are supposedly still there even in ADwD.

Since some fraction of them were warriors I would like to see lost blood riders replaced.

Those 'fringe' Dothraki were kind of a nice continuity touch by George in the books, wish the show would keep em.