[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

Something I don't understand (sorry if the question has already been approached): In the scene where Quorin tells Mormont about Mance gathering his people like "deer against the wolves" and that he means to lead them somewhere safe - is he talking about the Others threatening them? Why, exactly, do they fight against the wildlings, then? If they knew the free folk was facing a genocide by zombies and demons, why would anyone (Quorin, Mormont, Jon) consider it totally ok to keep a whole people trapped behind that Wall? I always thought GRRM made it a big turning point in the narrative when Jon learned that the wildlings were not trying to cross the Wall for raiding and plundering, but to escape from the Others. If the Night's Watch knew about this threat all the time, and still made it a point to keep the wildlings from crossing the Wall - isn't that kind of a crime against humanity? I always thought the NW was supposed to not know or not to take the threat of the Others seriously.

Edited by fassreiter

Something I don't understand (sorry if the question has already been approached): In the scene where Quorin tells Mormont about Mance gathering his people like "deer against the wolves" and that he means to lead them somewhere safe - is he talking about the Others threatening them? Why, exactly, do they fight against the wildlings, then? If they knew the free folk was facing a genocide by zombies and demons, why would anyone (Quorin, Mormont, Jon) consider it totally ok to keep a whole people trapped behind that Wall? I always thought GRRM made it a big turning point in the narrative when Jon learned that the wildlings were not trying to cross the Wall for raiding and plundering, but to escape from the Others. If the Night's Watch knew about this threat all the time, and still made it a point to keep the wildlings from crossing the Wall - isn't that kind of a crime against humanity? I always thought the NW was supposed to not know or not to take the threat of the Others seriously.

The Wall was built as defence against the Others originally, but in the 1000 years that no Others have been seen, it has become more about defense against Wildling raids than against the Others. Even though they may know that Mance means to keep his people safe from the Others, that doesn't mean they agree with his assessment of the danger. After all, all they've seen so far are a few walking dead, and, as long as you remember to burn your dead, that doesn't seem such a huge problem. With their 100 years of experience of fighting the Wildlings and the memory of the others having faded over those same 1000 years, they probably consider both threats equal.

It's not that strange that people who have been fighting a certain people don't want them to come to their lands even if they are threatened.After all, all they have seen of the threat so far is a few walking dead. As long as you remember to burn your dead, that does not seem an enormous problem.

After all, people who ware fleeing war and genocide in our world are often seen as people who have just come to steal their jobs and welfare by the people of the lands that give them refuge...

Jaqen's helmet: He has it with him when he walks past Arya and pretends not to notice her, but it's on the well when she goes to get water. "Not only did I notice you, but I knew where you were going and could get there before you unnoticed." Actions speak louder than words and Jaqen is awesome...

All of Marvel's heroes would not want to run into George's FM.

You know in the novel Jaqen knew all the time that Arya was Arya Stark.

Which make's his presence in Yoren's caravan totally inexplicable , except that it's my personal opinion he was sent there to see if Arya was worth recruiting.... for uses unknown.

You know in the novel Jaqen knew all the time that Arya was Arya Stark.

Which make's his presence in Yoren's caravan totally inexplicable , except that it's my personal opinion he was sent there to see if Arya was worth recruiting.... for uses unknown.

See, that's what I think...and well that Syrio was grooming her. I have heard others say there is no reason for Jaqen to be in the caravan as well. Is this because he doesn't appear to be on an assignment?

• 10 months later...

I'm re-watching S2 on Blu-Ray and thought I'd comment on each episode w/ their respective special features as I go. Yes, I know there's a general S2 blu-ray thread, but it's a long and unwieldy beast. I'm wondering what people think about each episode after a second viewing and w/ the added bonus of the commentaries, histories, maps, etc.

No audio commentary on this episode and only one new history on the Night's Watch. But Harrenhal looks fantastic on blu-ray. As do the shots in Iceland, which serve as the land north of The Wall. And I only realized this on as I watched the episode for a third time, but John doesn't discover the hidden cache of dragonglass! Grenn discovers it later in S2E8, but I could swear it was John and Sam that discovered it in the book.

Edited by PetyrPunkinhead

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just rewatched this episode, and one line stuck out to me as odd. Dany says something along the lines of "Xaro is our host, yet we know nothing about him." She pauses, then glances at Doreah, adding "Men like to talk about other men when they're happy." What was she trying to imply? I know this is a reference to Doreah teaching Dany the ways of uh... sex. It sounded to me like Dany wanted Doreah to sleep with Xaro to get information out of him. I mean, what else could she have meant?

Yet when Dany finds Doreah in bed with Xaro, she acts like she's been betrayed. What was happening here? Was there supposed to be some indication that Doreah had abandoned Dany for Xaro? Because there wasn't.