[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

Great episode for the individual stories. Definitely hard to follow all of the story lines at times. Seemed almost like too much. But there were some great acting moments and I can't complain about any episode where we actually get to see dragons!

Renly's death scene was just okay. I guess I pictured the shadow looking more like Stannis. Also thought Brienne would be a little more pulling out her hair upset. I would have thought Loras would also be going completely mad in the scene with the body.

The line "I want to be the queen" is a perfect example of what a great job they did casting Natalie Dormer. I know opinions differ but I love what they are doing with her storyline.

Anyone can die. Amazing.

I really didn’t picture that scenery north of the wall. Almost looks too unrealistic to have an encampment. Maybe that was just a lack of imagination on my part but it seems almost too much. Good use of exposition to explain history through Sam.

Pyat Pree scared the crap out of me. Very well done.

I know I shouldn’t, but I find myself rooting for Jorah. Maybe it is just the actor.

Rickon sighting! Loved seeing Bran really acting as Lord of Winterfell.

Another thing I just thought I'd throw out there: I'm not exactly sure why, but after that scene with Davos, I am totally behind Stephen Dillane as Stannis now. I had a few doubts at first, but something about his acting in that scene was just so perfectly Stannis.

Agreed. I think they did the character a disservice but cutting his initial scene (with Cressen in the prologue) but I think Dillane has been getting better and better and he seems much more like Stannis.

Liam Cunningham is terrific too.

The line "I want to be the queen" is a perfect example of what a great job they did casting Natalie Dormer. I know opinions differ but I love what they are doing with her storyline.

I think she's my female character in the show, excluding the Stark children. I was kind of ambivalent toward her in the books, but Natalie Dormer is just perfect as her.

It seems like they make an effort to do the opposite of the book.

Renly dies putting on armor in the book, he's taking it off in the show.

Petyr laughs at the idea of swaying Catelyn to free Jaime in the book, he tries it in the show

Stannis is hot-headed in the book, instead Renly is hot-headed in the show

Renly likes Petyr in the book, he dislikes him in the show

Davos is a religious man in the book, he's an agnostic in the show

Anyway... I'm disappointed that the Reeds will certainly not be in it now with Bran having the green dreams instead of Jojen.

It seems like they make an effort to do the opposite of the book.

Renly dies putting on armor in the book, he's taking it off in the show.

Petyr laughs at the idea of swaying Catelyn to free Jaime in the book, he tries it in the show

Stannis is hot-headed in the book, instead Renly is hot-headed in the show

Renly likes Petyr in the book, he dislikes him in the show

Anyway... I'm disappointed that the Reeds will certainly not be in it now with Bran having the green dreams instead of Jojen.

Yeah, this is why I get frustrated a lot with the show sometimes. They make these tiny little changes that don't typically affect the story in any way, and it seems like it's happening more and more. Like why does Davos need to be agnostic?

Edited by hk47

Agreed. I think they did the character a disservice but cutting his initial scene (with Cressen in the prologue) but I think Dillane has been getting better and better and he seems much more like Stannis.

Liam Cunningham is terrific too.

One thing I remember feeling very strongly while reading the books was that while Stannis is definitely a stubborn, often obnoxious, lobster-personality-having hardass, I just wanted to give him a big hug and make everything better for him. For the first time, I felt that way towards HBO-Stannis at the end of the Davos scene tonight, which is part of why Dillane's performance gave me warm fuzzies.

Edited by A Dark And Stormy Knight

Loved this episode minus them changing who Arya chooses as her first kill. The scene with her and the tickler in the books gave me chills, it was just so good. I guess I can understand they don't want to make her seem "psycho" on the show, but a girl is sad.

If she doesn't kill someone it's going to be very, very disappointing.

I know I shouldn’t, but I find myself rooting for Jorah. Maybe it is just the actor.

I've always had a soft spot for poor, screwed-up Jorah. He's made terrible mistakes for which he hates himself. He just wanted to go home, and that then led him to strike a deal to inform on Dany... only to, not only fall in love with her, but to ultimately revere her and truly take her for his queen. The problem is he's betrayed her in the past and doesn't want her to know it. He's a very flawed, very well-developed, very HUMAN character.

Why didn't they make that Renly death scene the end of episode 4? It seems to me that would have fit much better that way than as the beginning of episode 5. Very strange decision by the producers imo.

EDIT: Just so it's clear I'm not complaining, I actually thought it was a good episode otherwise.

Edited by Ser Wun Wun

Why didn't they make that Renly death scene the end of episode 4? It seems to me that would have fit much better that way than as the beginning of episode 5. Very strange decision by the producers imo.

EDIT: Just so it's clear I'm not complaining, I actually thought it was a good episode otherwise.

Because, the shadow baby is a pretty good WTF moment to end the episode with. It makes people who don't read the book wondering what it is going to do for a week. Leaves for good discussion.

Then, you open up the next episode with a dramatic scene and clarity on the shadow baby that people have been talking/wondering about all week. Good choice, IMO.

Yeah, this is why I get frustrated a lot with the show sometimes. They make these tiny little changes that don't typically affect the story in any way, and it seems like it's happening more and more. Like why does Davos need to be agnostic?

Davos was very much an agnostic in the ACOK; he didn't turn to the Faith until ASOS, when he was stranded on Blackwater Bay and had a vision of the Mother.

Edited by Independent George

Because, the shadow baby is a pretty good WTF moment to end the episode with. It makes people who don't read the book wondering what it is going to do for a week. Leaves for good discussion.

Then, you open up the next episode with a dramatic scene and clarity on the shadow baby that people have been talking/wondering about all week. Good choice, IMO.

I think it was a good choice too. All of the non-book people I know couldn't stop talking about the shadowbaby and what it meant.