[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Ran

MAN this episode was awesome! So strong! I loved every second, tbh. I was on the edge of my seat for Arya/Tywin. PHEW that was close. I like the way they got the second name out of her without it being Tywin. Petyr being there just had my heart in my throat for Arya. I love that I don't know whats going to happen, CRUCIFY ME IF YOU MUST, PURISTS, but I actually am loving the changes. Tyrion nailed it.

LOVED the San/San scenes (heart is bursting with happiness)!

Jon/Ygritte made me laugh so hard, loved it! I actually hated Ygritte in the books, but I might actually like this chick a bit.

I was ready to be mad about Theon killing Rodrik instead of the Boltons, but Roose mentioning his bastard erased that from a deficit to a gain. We still get the Boltons, they'll still betray the Starks, but Theon takes out Rodrik as the more emotional choice. I didn't dislike anything else, so thumbs up to the episode. I do hope Daenerys still somehow gets her visions in the House of the Undying, but I didn't love it enough that its lack will ruin anything for me.

That was a fabulous episode, perhaps the best so far this season. I enjoyed the deviations. Arya having to rush the kill of Lorch. Arya practically playing peek a boo with Littlefinger. I'm really enjoying her interaction with Tywin because it gives her an out for the most obvious question: why doesn't she use a kill on Tywin. It's harder to that without her inner dialogue.

I LOVE Yrgitte. She's a fantastic casting choice and I enjoyed her new scenes with Jon. Had to giggle at her grinding her ass into Jon. His balls are going to be blue for other reasons that being cold.

And the capper. The Case of the Missing Dragons!!! It gives Dany a lot more to do that just telling everybody she is the Blood of the Dragon/Mother of Dragons/Stormborn/Unburnt...

The changes were even deeper this time. Mostly worked, however.

Theon - I love his lost look after butchering Rodrik. I can almost hear he doubting he did it himself. Maester Luwin and Bran had some great lines and delivery as well. I particularly liked Bran's to-the-point question, and how even Theon himself seems to wonder if he always hated the Starks or if he does even now. If only he had followed a bit more of Maester Luwin's advice. I felt like telling him that in order to be respected as Lord of Winterfell he would have to show a willingness to follow the Northern ways of good will and show mercy at least at first.

ETA: oh, and Rodrik's last line was just perfect. I found myself fully agreeing.

Daenerys - I never expected such a strong deviation from the books. Still, the plot seems to be moving fast.

Jon - I disliked that Jon promised to kill Ygritte in this version of the tale. It is surprising that he seems to have lost the other Rangers. On the plus side, Jon and Ygritte have great chemistry on the screen. I loved their scene together.

Robb - Great lines here as well. Talisa does indeed amputate far better than she lies. Maybe she _is_ a spy for Tywin? I feel that we are expected to suspect so.

Tywin - The dislexia line caught me unaware. I don't know what to make of Tywin as a parent after that.

Arya - Great justification for choosing Amory Lorch. Arya probably expects to have some use as a spy for Robb and therefore would rather not ask for Tywin's head, particularly now that he has bonded somewhat with her. Great scene with the book of Houses, as well.

Catelyn - She picked up on Robb's feelings the moment she saw him with Talisa. I liked that. I wish I could disagree with her reminder about Robb's duties.

Asha - I am not in love with the changes seen, but are they even changes at all? They fit perfectly with Asha's pragmatism.

Roose Bolton - So now he is intentionally loosing Ramsay on Winterfell, and announcing that he is doing so? Quite a change, although it might not have lasting consequences.

Petyr Baelish - Does the timeline in the books fit his suggestion that the Lannisters pursue an alliance with the Tyrells? It does sound exactly like the sort of insidious counsel that he would give to weaken everyone else.

On that note, it is interesting that apparently the unholy magic used to kill Renly isn't such a secret in the TV show. I have a feeling that we will have more clear reason to question Davos' opinion about Stannis here. Which, of course, is a good thing - Stannis gets the "get out of prison free" card way too often.

ETA: I found myself wondering about Lollys. Does she even exist in this continuity? It could go either way.

A pity that the riot scene did not involve horses. They would have added a lot. Budgets are a sad reality.

Edited by LuisDantas

WHO took the dragons???????

And how was this episode over so quickly? Best one yet, I think.

@ Joshua Stephens and Greyjoy07

Wow!!!! Never seen that coming and don't have a clue who took them! Anybody else have any suggestions. Think they added this to give Dany more scenes since so few in the books.

One change I didn't like was killing Ser Amory with the poison dart. It was a well-done scene on its own, but the great thing about Weese's death was that you were left scratching your head at how he got the dog to go nuts and kill his own master.

I'd argue that it's pretty damn impressive for him to get that blow dart into him without anyone seeing, I mean, that hallway can't have been too big. Maybe not supernatural, but damn talented

Talissa = Jeyne this makes so much sense how'd I miss that. Anyways this is a way better set up than in the books. Glad Ramsey will make an appearance and piss off everyone who hasnt read the books. Dreaming of Jon Snow putting a sword through his head.

The riot scene was intense. Dismembering the High Septon was a bit much, though; I think the disembowelment and near-rape of a young girl was quite enough, thank you very much.

That was how he died in the book as well; ripped apart by the mob.

I'm pretty sure that there was nothing that indicated no visions. All the scene was meant to do was to get Dany to the HOTU in an exciting way. Once she gets there Pyat Pree can tell her that if she wants her Dragons she can do what he says. Then she drinks shade of the evening, has visions and gets the Dragons back...then dracarys. Dead warlocks.

Also, killing handmaids=not paying those actors next season which means money to pay other actors. No need to waste budget dollars on Irri, who plays no role in the book other than waiting on Dany, when you can use that on Edmure or Jojen or Meera or Ramsay.

Agreed. Irri is/was dead weight. I hope Doreah wasn't the culprit, as some are suggesting, however... she's so adorable, I'd like to keep her for a while longer.

I definitely agree that while the story was changed - the essence of the characters and of the story have been true to what Martin created and that is what is important. I'm glad others are able to see that and appreciate it instead of complaining about all the changes.

I'd argue that it's pretty damn impressive for him to get that blow dart into him without anyone seeing, I mean, that hallway can't have been too big. Maybe not supernatural, but damn talented

The Faceless Men are best at what they do. I think we can all agree on that!

That beheading was brutal to watch. :(

Even more brutal...just as it happened, and Rodrik's head was rolling across the ground - I hear my 7 year old son - who had apparently snuck out of his bed, and down the stairs without me hearing him, standing behind me asking "Daddy, what are you watching?" Aw shit..."What did you see, son?" "Um...I saw a man cutting off another man's head". Fuck. Guess I'll be reading the board at 3:00 AM tonight after I deal with his nightmares...