[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Ran

I am so very relieved to hear a Ramsay mention. I wondered too how Roose would have known about Roderick's death. This Dagmer = Ramsay theory is intriguing, it solves the problem of the Winterfell storylne with Reek being absent. Dagmer is acting very Iagoish talking Theon into being even more of a douche. If Dagmer is the one to suggest executing Bran and Rickon, I will be very on board with this theory. It would be such a fun twist that would shock book readers too.

Is anyone else wondering when Sansa is meeting Dontos in the godswood? IIRC she had already started doing this a long time ago in the book. Maybe it won't be until next season?

Hopefully these theories about Olenna being cut are wrong. She is too great to be denied!

I will be pissed if Alfie Allen and Maisie Williams don't get award noms for this season. They are so fantastic.

Great episode...

I'm really sad that Jojen isn't in, and I don't understand the Jojen haters. He was a mystical child with true honor, a product of a Stark-loyal father that Eddard valued greatly. That could have been a super interesting part to cast, especially for Book/Season 3.

Also, in reading the book, for a little while you're kinda left believing Bran and Rickon are actually murdered and displayed. That heart sink seems officially removed.

Edited by Titus Pullo

Also put me in the XXD is somehow involved with the kidnapping scene. His reaction was very much delayed, plus he was just talking about his willingness to do anything to get what he wants.

Fully agree with this.

When I first saw that scene, with him giving his "I have done dishonorable things" speech, and then opening the door to the bloodbath in the courtyard, I thought it was totally him. I took it as a "This is what I have done to make you give me what I want" display, and that he purposely set it up as a display of his power and just how far he is willing to take it.

It wasn't until Dany freaked and he yelled to "call the guards" or whatever that I realized that it wasn't his doing.

Edited by AnikaUnderfoot

Great episode...

I agree.

I'm really sad that Jojen isn't in, and I don't understand the Jojen haters. He was a mystical child with true honor, a product of a Stark-loyal father that Eddard valued greatly. That could have been a super interesting part to cast, especially for Book/Season 3.

I hate prophet characters. Point blank, no matter what.

Also, in reading the book, for a little while you're kinda left believing Bran and Rickon are actually murdered and displayed. That heart sink seems officially removed

??? In the book, the fake murder doesn't occur until after Theon fails to catch Bran and Rickon. Which hasn't happened yet.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed with the dragon-theft scene. The tower at the end was clearly intended to be the house of the undying, but I've always imagined the house of the undying to be a one-storey ranch-style affair, probably with a stucco exterior. I mean, it isn't called the tower of the undying, is it?

So they turned the house of the undying into the tower of the undying which got me thinking -- what else have they changed in this episode?

Did you notice how Littlefinger kept staring at Arya. I don't remember him being into little girls in the books but suddenly that's his thing in the show? It's really unlike him, IMO, but there you go.

And then the beheading scene. It was reminiscent of the botched beheading of Mary Queen of Scots or the opening execution in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence but was a bit unrealistic since there wasn't enough screaming. Ser Rodrick is plenty brave, sure, but after the first sword blow fails to remove his head I would expect him to at least yell or something. But he's a pretty tough old guy. Still, after the second blow failed to remove his head, I expected him at least to say something to somebody about it, or at least to stand up and make another wisecrack at Theon's expense. And it's really this constant lack of unrealism and failure to follow the clear direction of the book that has me quite upset about this episode.

Should I blame the producers for the many missteps in this episode: to whit the bad headjob, Littlefinger's pedarasty, and the multi-storeyed warlock hangout? Should I blame the writer? Should I blame the director who is only filming what the writer wrote who is only writing what the producers pay her to write who are only giving the fans what they want -- opportunities for Tyrion to slap Joffrey?

I blame Pod.

Wow...whoever's playing Ygritte might actually make me like the character. Nice to see Jon's storyline finally pick up.

I love the changes this episode and I think it will make the show flow better. The scenes with Tywin and Arya are pure gold. I love getting a little backstory on Tytos and the near ruination of House Lannister. Charles Dance is really knocking it out of the park. I can listen to him read the telephone book!

The riot scene was good. I'm not a purist by any means but I really wish they would have kept the line Cersei throws Trant about obeying the Hand of the King. The scene with The Hound saving Sansa is one of those things that really translates well to the screen. So exciting.

I REALLY enjoyed Theon's scenes. Bravo, Alfie Allen for making me feeling sadness and pity for Theon Greyjoy.

I even like what they're doing with Jeyne/Talisa.

The best change is the stolen dragons though. I think this is how it should have gone down in the book. Made no sense that no one would attempt to steal the most powerful weapons in the world. Plus this gives Dany something to do.

I must admit I was a bit disappointed with the dragon-theft scene. The tower at the end was clearly intended to be the house of the undying, but I've always imagined the house of the undying to be a one-storey ranch-style affair, probably with a stucco exterior. I mean, it isn't called the tower of the undying, is it?

So they turned the house of the undying into the tower of the undying which got me thinking -- what else have they changed in this episode?

Did you notice how Littlefinger kept staring at Arya. I don't remember him being into little girls in the books but suddenly that's his thing in the show? It's really unlike him, IMO, but there you go.

And then the beheading scene. It was reminiscent of the botched beheading of Mary Queen of Scots or the opening execution in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence but was a bit unrealistic since there wasn't enough screaming. Ser Rodrick is plenty brave, sure, but after the first sword blow fails to remove his head I would expect him to at least yell or something. But he's a pretty tough old guy. Still, after the second blow failed to remove his head, I expected him at least to say something to somebody about it, or at least to stand up and make another wisecrack at Theon's expense. And it's really this constant lack of unrealism and failure to follow the clear direction of the book that has me quite upset about this episode.

Should I blame the producers for the many missteps in this episode: to whit the bad headjob, Littlefinger's pedarasty, and the multi-storeyed warlock hangout? Should I blame the writer? Should I blame the director who is only filming what the writer wrote who is only writing what the producers pay her to write who are only giving the fans what they want -- opportunities for Tyrion to slap Joffrey?

I blame Pod.

This is the best post of the night. Too funny, and spot on.

I do have to agree with this. While I don't really care that Irri is gone (I never could distinguish her handmaidens in the book) they do seem to be forcing Dany to neglect her Dothraki side. And they seem to be knowingly do it. Last week we had the "she is not a princess, she is a khaleesi!" and then we had the "oh silly Dothraki, we can't steal his statues" bit. Besides having her khalasar significantly reduced they seem to be breaking her bonds with the Dothraki completely -- which will be interesting come her final scene in ADwD.

Interestingly if you think of the end of the last book, and the series gets to season 7 or whatever it will be, that scene will have more impact and make more sense.

Hound redemption... the only thing that saved this episode--well that and the mention of "the bastard of the Dreadfort". I just really thought the sack of Winterfell (along w/ Ser Rodrick's beheading) and the Kings Landing riots were cheesy as hell. This was my least favorite, boarding on worst episode ever...and I'm usually not that much of a complainer, I usually defend the "visual representation" of the novels. But this one was just plain bad. Disappointed.

Edited by The Crannogman

glad the episode mentioned Roose Bolton's bastard (Ramsay Snow), don't like how daenerys "loses" her dragons 7/10

Gives her a good reason to go into the house of the undying and makes for something interesting in an otherwise uneventful CoK arc. I thought it was pretty smart, though I get not being overjoyed with the change.

I also applaud the mention of Ramsay. I'm glad their not falling for the trap of projecting "he's a baddy" onto Roose from the beginning.

"My boy would be honored to bring you Greyjoy's head" - and a lot of other smaller pieces too.

Very perplexed at people complaining about this episode. Best so far this season, IMO.