[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Ran

One thing about the mob of commoners. In the books it was more built up how the city gates are closed and they are preparing to be invaded by stannis or renly. Because of this the peasants are starving and are on the verge of revolt from within the city. In the show it just seems more like they hate king Joff.

I have no idea how they are going to keep veiwers interested in Bran for the next 4? seasons (2 SOS, 2 FFC+DWD). To be honest very little happens in his story line of any interest. This will draw ire here, but I really find his character arc to become pointless after CoK. (Which is a shame)

D&D say they can only do 10 episodes, and I don't doubt it's a TON of work. However, I think this is mostly just making their bosses look good.

Probably a stupid question but does it cost any less adding 5 minutes to each episode than it would to film an 11th episode? Even 5 more minutes would make a difference and since it's HBO I don't think they absolutely have to end at a certain time like regular broadcast TV.

I can't believe they killed Irri of all people! :crying: I thought she was bulletproof because of her future lesbian scenes with Danny, but it looks like they're setting up Doreah for that... Who will tell us that something "is known" now?!

Well, at least we saw Lollys! I was afraid they'd cut her.

edit: Oh and I'm really enjoying the Quarth scenes. They're hilarious!

Edited by SnowStorm

Hats off to whoever came up with Dagmer=Ramsay.

That's brilliant. It makes perfect sense. Dagmer already seems to take over Reeks function at Theon's side. And it would explain why they didn't cast Ramsay. They actually did, right under our noses. Sneaky bastards.

I really like this idea, but wasn't Dagmer with Theon before he left Pyke? Why would Ramsey be on the Iron Isles?

I don't agree with the theory myself, but too many people seem to be missing what the theory is saying. The way I read it is not that Dagmer literally is Ramsay, but that he will fill some of Ramsay's role (pushing Theon into flaying the miller's boys and claiming they are Bran and Rickon).

I have no idea how they are going to keep veiwers interested in Bran for the next 4? seasons (2 SOS, 2 FFC+DWD). To be honest very little happens in his story line of any interest. This will draw ire here, but I really find his character arc to become pointless after CoK. (Which is a shame)

I think Bran's story is going to morph a lot into what Jon's has been- just sort a trudging along. After he gets through the Wall I envision him actually getting played by another actor (ie: Octavius in Rome) and only as a menial part (sort of like a guest star) for ADwD (which I would imagine would be interspersed and combined with AFfC- there is LITERALLY no way this show can go anywhere if Peter Dinkledge is not in every episode). I think once Bran's part of the story becomes more centered and pronounced he will be reintroduced as probably a re-imagined character (ie- the way he appears to be moving in the books).

And this all seems natural; Martin has stated time and time again that the hardest character for him tow rite is Bran; that his youth combined with his isolation have made it a challenge. If its a challenge for Martin (the guy who created the character) its going to be a character for anyone else.

I got a wacky theory. In the scene between Arya and Tywin, where the latter discusses his relationship with his father, he says something like: "He loved us. He was a good man, but a weak man. So weak he nearly destroyed our House and Name." I think this is supposed to reflect Arya's views on her own father, Ned. She is beginning to see how foolish he was to expect his own honour to be mirrored in everyone else. And as we are witnessing throughout the five novels, Arya's storyline drives her in a direction that she will end up to be just as cruel and ruthless as Tywin is. By putting the two of them together, D&D are essentially trying to show that they have the same personalities, only differentiated by 50 years.

I've seen numerous comments regarding the death of the High Septon on multiple fan and other sites reviewing the episode, and I've been wanting to set the record straight on his death. People have called the crowd zombies and really said a lot of negative things about that scene, but I was fairly certain that happened to him in the book,

It does say he was "ripped apart" but that could have been metaphorical in the sense that he got trampled to death and dismembered after, it didn't mean it should have been taken literally and that he'd get his fat arm torn off in seconds. On-screen it just looked ridiculous and cartoony.

By putting the two of them together, D&D are essentially trying to show that they have the same personalities, only differentiated by 50 years.

Lol, "same personalities"... you're on crack.

I got a wacky theory. In the scene between Arya and Tywin, where the latter discusses his relationship with his father, he says something like: "He loved us. He was a good man, but a weak man. So weak he nearly destroyed our House and Name." I think this is supposed to reflect Arya's views on her own father, Ned. She is beginning to see how foolish he was to expect his own honour to be mirrored in everyone else. And as we are witnessing throughout the five novels, Arya's storyline drives her in a direction that she will end up to be just as cruel and ruthless as Tywin is. By putting the two of them together, D&D are essentially trying to show that they have the same personalities, only differentiated by 50 years.

I think Ned was naive, but not weak. Of course, Arya may think differently, particularly since because of her father's failure to protect her (or himself), she's become an outlaw at the age of 12 (in the show), endangered and exposed, and pretty much on her own. We don't know much about Tywin as a boy; except that he spoke up against his father to protest his sister's betrothal to a Frey.

I do think that book-Arya is well on her way to becoming as ruthless as Tywin; but there's still hope that she may still leave the Faceless cult and return and reunite with what's left of her family, before she has completely compromised Stark family values.

Not at the moment, no, but are you denying that Arya's story is taking her in that direction?

Yes, I'm denying that she's turning into Tywin and that she ever resented Ned for being "weak" (also, he wasn't). Next question?

I think you're way off on this. I believe Tywin talks about his father so the viewer can know more about Tywin Lannister. For those who don't read the books, they wouldn't know Tywin's father was a weak man. Comparing Arya to Tywin is just silly. And also, Ned wasn't weak :bang:

On Parks & Rec last night, Andy made a list of all the places that he would like to live if he had to leave Pawnee... they were all written on an easel, and when they flipped the page, "Winterfell" was at the top of the list! Great shout-out to Thrones!

Not at the moment, no, but are you denying that Arya's story is taking her in that direction?

Cruel and ruthless? faceless men are the complete opposite. Kill only the person you are meant too, harm nobody else.

A number of times tywin has been said to be willing to do anything. For instance Battle of the bells "Tywin would have burned that entire villiage to the ground" where as griff mearly offered people rewards for turning over robert.

Thats the difference. Twin is ruthless and cruel, Arya is Cold and calculating, and precise.

Twyin could have had robbs food posioned at the red wedding, but instead he kill most of the norths party.

Edited by Silverx2

On Parks & Rec last night, Andy made a list of all the places that he would like to live if he had to leave Pawnee... they were all written on an easel, and when they flipped the page, "Winterfell" was at the top of the list! Great shout-out to Thrones!

Winterfell really is lovely this time of year. The way the evening light illuminates the last of the crops rotting in the fields because there's no one to harvest them. The way the wind gently rustles through the godswood, mostly drowning out the cries of the women being raped. There's a crispness in the air that leads one to just lean their head back to absorb the last days of the long summer, and get a good look at the tarred heads of the children on spikes. But book your vacation soon, winter is coming!

You won't get any argument from me. Bran's journey is interesting enough. But once he gets there he gonna turn into a tree, wow what a jam packed adventure that will be!

You won't get any argument from me. Bran's journey is interesting enough. But once he gets there he gonna turn into a tree, wow what a jam packed adventure that will be!

He became just the most powerful man in the world. A god. Capable of interacting with every PoV in Westeros.

But yeah, it will be really boring, sure...

-_-