Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

I said last week the Ghost of Harranhall was the best one this season, well that's changed. Ygritte was cast perfectly, Kissed by Fire indeed.

The attack on the precession was amazing, captured the volatile nature of the city completely. Tyrion's frustrations boiling over and giving us another Joff Slap. And the Hound protecting Sansa it was just great.

The Sack of Winterfell im sure shocked the non-reader audience. Turn Cloak sure was not ready for what he would face. Also glad to see Ramsey will be on his way to make his Reek :).

I realize HBO needs to condense very long books into @ 1 hour of television. However, dragon snatching? Really?

Did anyone else hear Talisa say her last name was Maegi (or sounded something very much like that)? What do you think this means for Robb breaking his vows/Red Wedding storyline and the conjecture surrounding that?

Jeyne Westerling's grandmother in the books was Maggy the Frog. She was a Maegi. I thought the family name Talysa used in the show (sounds like Maegi) was a nice tie-in to the character's ancestry in the books.

I took the name as a little clue that Robb's arc will continue exactly as it was in the books, but expanded. Changes present & future in Talisa should have little effect on the overall outcome his arc, I would think. It's what they do later, with regards to the Westerling family and Sybell Spicer in AFFC, that I'm excited to see.

ETA:

Also it could be a hint that Talisa is really Jeyne Westerling incognito, after all. That she used Maegi as her family name because that's closest to the truth. It is a Volantine pronunciation of her grandmother's name, Maggy. So perhaps sometime in the next few episodes we'll discover that Talisa Maegi's real name is Jeyne Westerling.

Edited by Sun

What I liked:

- The Riot: Not as intense as I imagined it but still impressively close

- The Hound saving the day

- Roose dropping Ramsay's name

- Tywin scenes

- Lolly cameo

- JQ one-shotting some poor schmuck

What I didn't like:

- Robb+Talisa - part 2 - The King and the Amputator Princess

- Cate giving Robb a 'you go tiger' look. I literally CRINGED when she did that

- Dany's acting this week: I don't know, I usually like her but when she gave another Fire * Blood speech, her voice was way too shaky.

All in all, nice episode. Possibly my second favorite this season

In order to steer Theon towards taking Winterfell. Watch their conversation from last weeks episode again. It's Dagmer who nudges him into that direction.

1. What is Ramsay doing on the Isles? Why would he go there?

2. Roose says his bastard is at the Dreadfort.

I'm not buying Dagmer=Ramsay, yet.

My only disappointment in this otherwise amazing episode was the constant logic holes regarding the direwolves.

Where is Ghost when Jon chases Ygritte or when they attack the wildling camp?

Where are Summer and Shaggydog when Theon attacks? Why did the show not stress how difficult it was keeping the wolves contained, or how the Ironborn accomplished this?

They portray the direwolves as the Starks' protectors, but other than Bran's attempted assassination last season or quick shots of Greywind by Robb's side, they've been nothing but domesticated pets. I would've liked even a simple scene of Summer sitting by Bran's bed when Theon first arrives, growling at him until Bran mollifies his pet.

Jeyne Westerling's grandmother in the books was Maggy the Frog. She was a Maegi. I thought the family name Talysa used in the show (sounds like Maegi) was a nice tie-in to the character's ancestry in the books.

I took the name as a little clue that Robb's arc will continue exactly as it was in the books, but expanded. Changes present & future in Talisa should have little effect on the overall outcome his arc, I would think. It's what they do later, with regards to the Westerling family and Sybell Spicer in AFFC, that I'm excited to see.

I remember she was Maggy the Frog (Cersei's prophecy, too?), but I will be insterested to see if they take out Jeyne/Talisa's mother's role in the apparent scheme, and place it soley on Jeyne/Talisa. I wonder if the viewers will be clued in right away to the suspected plotting unlike in the books where it was only aluded to until much later. Also, would love to see a scene with Grey Wind and Jeyne/Talisa if this is the case.

how would Ramsay get to the iron islands and pose as an ironman?

Gosh, that’s easy: teleportation. We’ve already seen it happening, a lot. Watch how Cat and Littlefinger flit about in no time at all. No reason for Ramsey not to use teleportation, what with all the very best people doing it and him such an up-and-coming social-climber.

As for disguises, that too is easy. Just look at how the decidedly olive-complected Talissa claims to be a Volantene, who all looked like true-blooded Valyrians with that tell-tale Targaryen look. With disguises of that calibre, surely Ramsey would have no trouble posing as someone twice his age with a disfiguring jaw scar that reknit the bones.

how would Ramsay get to the iron islands and pose as an ironman?

Gosh, that’s easy: teleportation. We’ve already seen it happening, a lot. Watch how Cat and Littlefinger flit about in no time at all. No reason for Ramsey not to use teleportation, what with all the very best people doing it and him such an up-and-coming social-climber.

As for disguises, that too is easy. Just look at how the decidedly olive-complected Talissa claims to be a Volantene, who all looked like true-blooded Valyrians with that tell-tale Targaryen look. With disguises of that calibre, surely Ramsey would have no trouble posing as someone twice his age with a disfiguring jaw scar that reknit the bones.

How did Roose know that Theon had killed Ser Rodrik? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Luwin's raven says the following: "Ironmen have taken Winterfell. Theon Greyjoy in command."

This was sent before Theon had killed Rodrik, when Luwin was desperately getting his raven off mid-takeover. Yet Roose knows that he's dead, despite (presumably) only reading the above.

Sup?

I definitely agree with this. I can't say I dislike this season because it has been amazing at times but I feel that they are just diverging from the books way too far this season compared to last season. I hope they pull it back a little closer as we get further in the season but I really doubt it will!

Yeah, it is fair to say that the TV series is Game of Thrones based on the GRRM books at this point. At this point, I think I'm just going to accept it and move on with enjoying the show. It's still fantastic and excellently cast!

No problem with the dragon theft, but wish the horde wasn't down to about five people. I think the show change will make the hall of the undying better.

Questions: Did LF recognize Arya? Is Talisa perhaps a spy for Lannisters a this point?

I want to have Sibell Kekili (shae) agent!!!!.... he must be a master negotiator, she is in the main titles and did nothing, opposing to Osha, Jaqen, Luwin... I wonder

I loved this episode. The sack of winter fell was something I was not expecting to happen so quickly; but I am glad they stuck to the book and kept the whole scene between Theon and Bran, and Theon gathering everyone to hear Bran say he yielded to Theon. The actor who plays Master Luwin really nailed the character, and gave a powerful performance this episode. It will be a heart renting scene when Luwin dies next season. The way he stared at Theon was perfect.

I was okay with the change of Rodrik being beheaded by Theon; it makes the character arc of Theon way more dramatic and harsh. That beheading was brutal! The way they changed the escape of Bran and Co. to having Osha sleep with Theon and sneak out was also a nice change. It just streamlines things.

There seemed to be a lot of tweaks and changes from the books in this episode. Cat and Brienne are already at Robb' camp before he returns betrothed to Jeyne. In my opinion, it doesn't matter to much seeing as how we were never introduced to Riverrun; and this way we get to see Cat reminding Robb that he can't fall for another woman because he's still promised to a Frey. It's a smart way to remind the non-book reading audience so when the RW happens it will be more intense. One thing I don't quite understand yet is why we have yet to get Jeyne's proper name and house yet. Why the secrecy?

The scenes in King's Landing were brilliant. The riots were not as large scale as I imagined when I read the book but that's understandable because its a TV show. Tyrion was great as usual. Finally, we get to see The Hound save Sansa.

I am not sure how they are planning to handle Jon's storyline. So basically he chased after Ygritte a little bit and now he's completely lost from Qhorin? That doesn't really make much sense. In the book he releases Ygritte and they just meet up again when he has to kill Qhorin. It seems they are streamlining this a bit to keep Ygritte on screen more this season. Does this mean she is going to take him directly to Mance? Are they going to cut out Jon having to kill Qhorin? That wouldn't make much sense. I was kind of disappointed we didn't get to hear "You know nothing Jon Snow" tonight lol.

So wtf is happening in Dany's world? I understand showing her demand ships from one of the Thirteen, but who stole her dragons? Where is the show going with this change? It's quite a divergence from the book and the only possible answer I can think of is the Warlocks stole her dragons to get her to come to The House of the Undying.

Really missing the fact that they haven't even mentioned that Jon is a warg, or any of the other Starks children for that matter. Seems somewhat critical to Jons character development and story line.

I sooooo loved this episode! It kept me rapt the entire time. I love/hate Theon. I understand how he feels he needs to redeem himself but Winterfell?? Ugh, those scenes were great. The beheading was hard to watch yet amazing and that final kick he dealt to knock it off......*shivers*

Osha is a scheming little one to trick Theon, I was so happy that they showed Bran and Rickon leaving safe, too (and shaggy dog and summer!) I think there is now the possibility that they will meet up with Meera and Jojen on the road north.

What else was there....I cant wait to get home from class and re-watch it :D

The riot was awesome! Joffrey's little squeals heheheehe

I was so scared watching Sansa about to get raped, oh how I love thee, Hound.

My favorite scene was watching Ser Amory fall dead right in front of Tywin, fucking epic Jaqen!

Not sure how to feel about Dany's dead guards and stolen dragons....obviously they're being taken to the Palace of Dust so...some revenge comin up!

The Good :

-Any scenes with Arya and/or Tywin

-Dragon snatching. Was unexpected and promises great outcome (it totally makes sense and c'mon it's not like GRRM isn't fond of cheap end of chapter cliffhangers either)

-Opening scene in Winterfell. I was not expecting that at all. Poor Rodrik :/

-Roose mentionning his bastard. I litterally gasped. (My bf was like "why would that make you gasp" and i was all "aaah..I wish I could warn you...")

-Prince Theon. Alfie Allen really really nails the part. I really can't tell if I'm supposed to hate him or give him a big hug.

-The Riot. "And now I have struck a king !" . As always, Tyrion delivers. (It could've been a lot more hectic though, it just seemed like two or three people were moving around and the guy was just shaking his camera around to give the impression of chaos)

-The Hound kicking ass.

The Bad :

-Littlefinger and Cat and their teleporting powers.

-No Jorah :/

-Not enough direwolves

The Ugly:

-Jon and Ygritte cuddle scene... Ugh... They're forcing this romance on us the worst possible way imaginable.

-Robb and "Talisa". Worst thing this season.

The Puzzling :

-Is Ramsay already in Winterfell ? (I think so)

-Did Littlefinger really recognize Arya (I think so)

-Did Pyat Pree steal the dragons ? (possibly)

-More Quaithe !

I sooooo loved this episode! It kept me rapt the entire time. I love/hate Theon. I understand how he feels he needs to redeem himself but Winterfell?? Ugh, those scenes were great. The beheading was hard to watch yet amazing and that final kick he dealt to knock it off......*shivers*

Osha is a scheming little one to trick Theon, I was so happy that they showed Bran and Rickon leaving safe, too (and shaggy dog and summer!) I think there is now the possibility that they will meet up with Meera and Jojen on the road north.

What else was there....I cant wait to get home from class and re-watch it :D

The riot was awesome! Joffrey's little squeals heheheehe

I was so scared watching Sansa about to get raped, oh how I love thee, Hound.

My favorite scene was watching Ser Amory fall dead right in front of Tywin, fucking epic Jaqen!

Not sure how to feel about Dany's dead guards and stolen dragons....obviously they're being taken to the Palace of Dust so...some revenge comin up!

and this way we get to see Cat reminding Robb that he can't fall for another woman because he's still promised to a Frey. It's a smart way to remind the non-book reading audience so when the RW happens it will be more intense. One thing I don't quite understand yet is why we have yet to get Jeyne's proper name and house yet. Why the secrecy?

Just a guess here, but perhaps the writers have tweaked the Jeyne Westerling story to make her a second spy ( along with Bolton )but she becomes sympathetic with the Starks, falls for Robb, then her house sets the Red Wedding in motion. Cuts out a few extra characters gets us to the same place. Easy for non-book readers to follow. Just a thought

How did Roose know that Theon had killed Ser Rodrik? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Luwin's raven says the following: "Ironmen have taken Winterfell. Theon Greyjoy in command."

This was sent before Theon had killed Rodrik, when Luwin was desperately getting his raven off mid-takeover. Yet Roose knows that he's dead, despite (presumably) only reading the above.

Sup?

Didn't Roose say that they had gotten word from White Harbor and the Dreadfort too. Maybe Theon sent ravens to boast about his conquest?