Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Is a colored person like black, or brown, or yellow, or pink, or like what? This seems like a weaselly euphemism for something, but I can’t pin it down. Are you trying to avoid saying a dirty word of some sort?

Christ, she meant people of non-white ethnicity, that was obvious to anyone except you, get over it.

Dagmer can't be Ramsey. He's at least as old as Roose!

I don't know if I like the switch. I really wanted to see the Stark and Bolton men meet up, just as Theon, with Maester Lewin, is about to have a change of heart.

I think Quaithe stole the dragons. She will take them to tHotU, because she wants Dany to see something.

I love Tywin and Arya together; but why would Lord Tywin Lannister unburden himself about his son's childhood dyslexia to a serving girl, even a clever serving girl? He's not just a distracted politician, he's Tywin, who is not egalitarian or at all interested in what servants think of him except their knowing to obey him.

Speaking of HBO nudity requirements, I was thrilled to see yet another Roz-free episode.

Tywin talking to Arya was an improvement on last season's "dude talking to Roz or another prostitute" scene. (I believe the fans have called that expositwhore or something like that.) They need a way to share what a character is thinking in a way that won't affect the story. it has mostly been men talking to prostitutes (Peytr, Pycelle, Theon, etc.) since those women can't do anything with the info they hear. Similarly, Arya won't be able to use the info Tywin is sharing, so the writers decided to use this method. Even, though it is uncharacteristic of Tywin, it's better than another Roz-like scene.

While this episode had a rather big bunch of inconsistencies, some of the complaints are rather far-fetched and at times illogical themselves. If you're already in a bad mood because of errors, it can easily happen that you begin counting them and include more stuff than actually is supposed to be in there.

A thing I wanted to mention about the "teleportation": With so many different characters, it's really impossible to tell the story in any way with the time passed being synchronised, or even completely chronological. Martin has been pretty extreme here too. Littlefinger changing location every episode seems extreme, but you can't really tell how much time has passed.

About who stole the dragons: I might have to watch it again, but when first viewing it, it was obvious to me that this was Pyatt Pree, because the guy carrying it looked like him. Dom the amount of discussion about this, I might have been too quick to judge, but...edit: watched it again and yeah it's unclear, though I still believe it's pyatt pree. You get a quick glimpse of the foot, which looks wrinkled, and the arms also look a bit thin.

About tywin talking to a cupbearer: He doesn't talk with arya. He talks to her. Big difference. He doesn't care about her as a person. It seemed more like he was just reminiscing about the past by talking out loud.

I'm also disappointed about Sansa. Especially her line to Shae "But I can trust you" made me both cringe and facepalm. Cringe because Sansa had already been established about being a bit more clever than that....And facepalm for Sansa, because honestly? Yeah, you can totally trust the handmaiden that someone you don't know sent to you, replacing the old handmaiden. Right. >.>

Edited by insertname

This episode's theme seems to me "the silly things I do for love/passion":

Ummmmm, what was Jon doing the whole episode? I mean, really. They are making him look like an idiot for the whole season now, and this episode especially. Talking that way to Qhorin was strange, and his indecisiveness about Ygritte even more. I like Jon in the books, but I am starting to wonder if this is supposed to be the same person - I have no idea how they will make his being chosen for LC work. Anyway, the scene with "Stop moving!" was funny in a ridiculous way.

Theon sees a naked girl and forgets about everything, like that she might not be as loyal as it seems.

And Robb. I do not really like his scenes with the random Volantene who is probably Jeyne Westerling. But Carelyn was priceless.

I like Tywin and Arya scenes, like most here, I think. They are great.

Does LF have an airplane or what? How could he possibly travel around Westeros that way?

I was really afraid for Sansa for a moment. A painful moment, just as Ser Rodrik's beheading.

What I like the most:

1. The pacing has gotten quicker, now things are starting to actually happen. I assume it has something to do with the fact that there were no Highgarden and no Dragonstone scenes this time, so the story acted like a story and no random scenes from different parts of the continent.

2. We managed to see two episodes without pointless too long sex scenes. Yes, I know we have seen Osha's seducing Theon, but that was one shot and then she was climbing out of bed. No stupid Ros or sexposition scenes!

I think Quaithe stole the dragons. She will take them to tHotU, because she wants Dany to see something.

Hmm I'd love that, but I think they would've shown Quaithe in the "previously on". I don't think non-readers even took note of her.

Tywin talking to Arya was an improvement on last season's "dude talking to Roz or another prostitute" scene. (I believe the fans have called that expositwhore or something like that.) They need a way to share what a character is thinking in a way that won't affect the story. it has mostly been men talking to prostitutes (Peytr, Pycelle, Theon, etc.) since those women can't do anything with the info they hear. Similarly, Arya won't be able to use the info Tywin is sharing, so the writers decided to use this method. Even, though it is uncharacteristic of Tywin, it's better than another Roz-like scene.

Maybe Ros is already a spy for Littlefinger ... so she can very well use the information she gets that way.

But I agree that this season's take on characters' psychology is better, if you look at it that way.

Hmm I'd love that, but I think they would've shown Quaithe in the "previously on". I don't think non-readers even took note of her.

They only show the "previously on" if the character is going to be in that episode. So, if she is in Ep. 7, they will show her "previously on" at the beginning.

Theon sees a naked girl and forgets about everything, like that she might not be as loyal as it seems.

Poor Theon, he has his failings, and pays for them.

Well at least here we have a sex scene that advances the plot like the the first season with Dany and Drogo.

( Sexplanation worked sometimes too.)

Maybe D&D got the message after episode 3 and have had time to tweak the edits.

By the by Natalia Tena is quite daring!(But she appears the type.)

She starting to make a name for herself , made the NY Times this weekend in a feature article, her band and other cinema work.

Edited by boojam

I liked the whole episode, but I liked the KL riot and Theon taking WF best.

The riot may not have been as dramatic as the book but it was scary, especially when Sansa got cornered and she was about to be raped, Sophie Turner really did a great emotional rip on that scene.

I understand the SanSan thing but that scene worked due to Gleason, Dinklage and Turner, Sandor was the frosting I liked is scowl when he was called Dog.

And Theon butchering Ser Rodrick while not in the book as such showed how screwed Theon is, and the line by Rodrick to Bran saying he's gonna see Ned was priceless.

I'm OK with combining the Reeds into Osha and Bran, but I do hope they show up later to pledge fealty to the Lord of Winterfell in the future.

And I thought Osha and Yegrette were hot ( but that is a different matter )

They only show the "previously on" if the character is going to be in that episode. So, if she is in Ep. 7, they will show her "previously on" at the beginning.

Yeah that's why I seem to be inclined to think it was Pyat, as he was shown in the "previously"

But yeah the more Quaithe the better, so here's hoping.

About tywin talking to a cupbearer: He doesn't talk with arya. He talks to her. Big difference. He doesn't care about her as a person. It seemed more like he was just reminiscing about the past by talking out loud.

You know, about Tywin talking to Arya, I think it's very believable.

Powerful people are still people. Probably most of the people Tywin deals with he thinks of as "frenemies," people who are on his side now, but will switch if they get a better opportunity.

Tywin sees Arya, as strange as it seems, as someone so far below him he can actually afford to be himself with her. And he sees qualities in her he admires, like intelligence.

Like the wealthy buisinessmen and industrial magnates who used to frequent geisha in Japan early in this century, in a way. Although Arya is a "cupbearer" while geisha are....well....sake bearers, I guess? lol.

Edited by Sidonie

Well at least here we have a sex scene that advances the plot like the the first season with Dany and Drogo.

( Sexplanation worked sometimes too.)

Agree about the first line so much.

Sexplanation works on very very very rare occasions, I think. "Sometimes" is too strong a word.

I didn't even think of this, but I definitely think its possible. For me, I just immediately figured the Warlocks stole them. Quaithe makes more sense now that I think about it.

Damn Charles Dance!

Tywin was one of the Characters i hated most (cause of tyrion and RW)

but now that i see Dance playing him i kind of like him

is dialogues with Arya are pure gold! / and he sticks to the character, just showing us more of his human side

Jaime is barely in ACOK (shows up in catelyn's last POV, I believe), but there is a mention of an escape attempt, so we should see that in the show. I remember reading the book-- waiting and waiting for Jaime to show up--and being very disappointed.

On a separate subject, Someone else mentioned it, but I was annoyed that they made Myrcella cry. I loved the part of Tyrion's POV where he thinks that Myrcella Baratheon is a born princess and didn't cry at all (and comforted Tommen) when she went away. I think she'll turn out to be the best and bravest of the Lannisters.

Also, I found myself wondering if TV-Arya would have been better off revealing herself to TV-Tywin. He seems like the type who is sensible. Therefore, he would keep her a hostage, but well protected, for Jaime's sake. Just wondering...

I totally agree that I was disappointed Myrcella cried. From what tiny bit we've seen of her, I've liked her. I guess it was to give Cersei more reason to be pissed at Tyrion. If Myrcella would have taken it like a true princess with no tears, it wouldn't have made as much sense for Cersei's threat to Tyrion.

And you're probably right that Tywin would treat Arya as a hostage according to her station and probably in much better conditions than Sansa, but I can't see Arya (even TV Arya) wanting to willingly be a captive. She's a fighter, and I can't every see her turning herself over to the man who she hears working to take down her brother.

Best episode this season. I felt a bit cheated about not seeing the attack on Winterfell but I think the first we heard about it in the book was when Bran got woke up. I think that only really bothered me because of previous omissions, overall I'd still say hbo still owes us a few battles and one melle. Alfie Allan was brilliant. Not a fan of the stolen dragons either but if it's to give Daenerys a shove towards the house of the undying then I can live with it. I'm hoping that's like something out of Twin Peaks. First mention for the Bastard of Bolton! I've seen a few posts about him not being cast, could hbo just be keeping him under wraps to avoid any spoilers? If they announce somewhere X is playing Ramsey then he turns up as Reek that's going to get non readers radar twitching.

Soz if already discussed...

Does anyone know what that note said that Arya had, and why she suddenly ran off? Where were we supposed to think she was going? She said she was going to the armery, was that to share with Gendry further details of her day or was she in fact going to give Jaquen her 2nd kill, if so, who would it have been?