[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Ran

Scenes that got the biggest reactions from me:

- The Riot. I LOVED how Tyrion was realizing "Oh no shit's going down" and got Tommen out of there. Joffrey's eruption was perfect. I also thought they captured Tyrion's own panic really well. He's usually so calm and put together but I don't care how badass you are, an angry mob is scary. He sounded like he was about to have a heart attack. Oh and SAN-SAN!!! At long last!!! I also loved how he started dragging Joffrey away. So undignified XD.

- The opening. Agreed, I almost expected Bran to be "LOL! Stop messing around!" when Theon entered. Then his hysteria and Theon's face as he hacked Rodrik's head off...wow.

- Tywin's room. I loved the detail about Jaime being dyslexic. Question -- do twins commonly share problems like that? I wonder if Cersei is dyslexic too but no one bothered with her because she was a girl. (at least in TV canon) And Arya's self-satisfied smile was perfect, as was her question about Tywin's father.

- The assassination. Jaquen's face was pure gold when Arya barked "NOW!" Then the dart...wow, I was in hysterics.

- Bastards! I squeed when Roose said his son would be honored to drive Theon out. But now I'm curious as to when Roose is going to betray Robb and Ramsay take Winterfell. Or maybe Robb thinks Ramsay has taken Winterfell purely under orders and is just waiting out a snow storm or something to bring in Theon. While of course Ramsay has torched it.

- Osha! Tonks busting the kiddos out was awesome. And we got a glimpse of Shaggydog! Loved it when she slit the guys' throat -- great shot of her with her arm out, looking like a ninja.

- Mr. Spicer. He's fierce. I loved how he totally schools Dany. I don't hate Dany like some do, but I giggle nonstop when she gets taken down a peg.

I'm pretty sure that whoever stole the dragons is going to the house of the undying, so she will probably pick them up there.

I'm pretty sure that there was nothing that indicated no visions. All the scene was meant to do was to get Dany to the HOTU in an exciting way. Once she gets there Pyat Pree can tell her that if she wants her Dragons she can do what he says. Then she drinks shade of the evening, has visions and gets the Dragons back...then dracarys. Dead warlocks.

Also, killing handmaids=not paying those actors next season which means money to pay other actors. No need to waste budget dollars on Irri, who plays no role in the book other than waiting on Dany, when you can use that on Edmure or Jojen or Meera or Ramsay.

As it was implied, I know she will go to the House of the Undying. But I hope I'm wrong, I really hope because I want to see her visions. But I feel we're not that lucky, since she'll go there in rage. It would make no sense for her to drink the Shade of the Evening, too dangerous for her, since they have her dragons. OK, that made "no sense" in the books too, but she had her dragons.

Ned's dream were cut, so, maybe Dany's visions were too :(

About "Why anyone tried it?" that someone asked in the thread, she was at Xaro's, he had good guards and HE wanted her dragons, so, he wanted them safe.

Agreed. Irri is/was dead weight. I hope Doreah wasn't the culprit, as some are suggesting, however... she's so adorable, I'd like to keep her for a while longer.

Dead weight?! I don't get this. I loved Irri. She was Daenary's link to her Dothraki side. I'd much rather have seen Doreah go. Edited by Horus Bergeron

I dont understand why Irri had to die. Doreah dies in the books, so why not kill her off? I mean, what?

Because the chick playing Doreah is hotter/a better actress. Plus, who knows what the girl playing Irri's schedule looked like. Maybe, she couldn't continue with the series like the guy playing Rakharo.

And it's not like Irri, Jhiqui or Doreah are important characters. They are hand maids. You don't need three. One accomplishes everything three does. Plus, Doreah taught Dany her sexy styles with Drogo, why not her be the one to finger bang Dany later?

Haha are u serious? So just because she's hotter? Oh my god thats fucking retarted. and no, the actress who played Irri was a good actress. And she said in an interview that Irri's death came as a shock and she was free to do Game of Thrones.

Dead weight?! I don't get this. I loved Irri. She was Daenary's link to her Dothraki side. Now there's little keeping her from being totally Westerosi/Andal.

Dead weight, as in she does nothing that has any bearing on the narrative whatsoever, even after 5 books. She's window-dressing and her salary gobbles show budget-money better spent on other things, imo.

Oh, this post is just to tell that I liked the episode. I'm questioning just what the theft could have originated but if Dany's visions were not cut, them the episode was like 8.5/10. Ygritte was excelente even considering the changes. Osha is hot, we saw Shaggy and Rickon talked!

Jaqen was awesome as well. Tywin is still a bit soft for me but his scenes with Arya are amazing, completely amazing.

Edited by Cheese Pudding

Best episode yet. I honestly do not understand how someone can say these changes were negative; by doing so you're basically just claiming that GRRM's story is completely perfect and cannot be altered whatsoever in any way. Having the dragons be stolen adds an awesome boost to Dany's storyline that was sorely needed. You can tell that they're really going to be make the HotU intense and very important to Dany's story this season. And the alterations to Theon's subplot only served to make his arc even more tragic and powerful than it was. Alfie Allen's acting this season has easily been in the top five of the show; he really just adds a whole new dimension to that plot.

And beyond anything else...Ramsay has been confirmed! How can you not be fucking psyched about that?

Overall, okay with the changes they made in this episode.

The dyslexia thing was strange, but I like that it showed Tywin's true affection for Jaime. It makes a good contrast for his relationship with Tyrion.

The riot scene was great. I thought that Sophie did a fantastic job acting the attack scene--it was pretty frightening. I miss Lollys, but considered what happened to her, it's probably just as well that they left her out. I also thought it was better on horses, but I can spare the expense if it saves a character.

Love the Dany ending. Unexpected! I'm sure they'll tie it back to her story somehow.

I like the Robb/Jeyne changes. We don't see them fall in love in the books, so it explains his actions better.

Not sure I liked...

The Littlefinger/Arya peekaboo. He seemed to recognize her, but would he let her go if he caught her? I don't think so--he'd keep track of her.

Sansa and Shae as friends, but that could be because I don't like Shae...

I don't remember LC Mormont telling Jon to obey Quorin without question. It looks like they may leave out the fight where Jon has to prove himself by pretending to be a turncloak. That would be a real pity because it's so critical to his character development. Hopefully, that will turn up in the next episode.

I definitely agree that while the story was changed - the essence of the characters and of the story have been true to what Martin created and that is what is important. I'm glad others are able to see that and appreciate it instead of complaining about all the changes.

Indeed. Accept and be appreciative for the wonderful bounty of HBO goodness that we have recieved for our fandom.

A dark-haired and dark-eyed Volantene noblewoman? Gosh, this show is throwing world-building right out the window. This, along with the Spice King's comment about the "silver-

Edited by Horiƶtha

Dead weight?! I don't get this. I loved Irri. She was Daenary's link to her Dothraki side. Now there's little keeping her from being totally Westerosi/Andal.

I do have to agree with this. While I don't really care that Irri is gone (I never could distinguish her handmaidens in the book) they do seem to be forcing Dany to neglect her Dothraki side. And they seem to be knowingly do it. Last week we had the "she is not a princess, she is a khaleesi!" and then we had the "oh silly Dothraki, we can't steal his statues" bit. Besides having her khalasar significantly reduced they seem to be breaking her bonds with the Dothraki completely -- which will be interesting come her final scene in ADwD.

I thought the dyslexia story really added extra depth to Tywin. I've always found him to be one of the most fascinating characters in the story. Not likable, mind you, but interesting. in the books we learned that Tytos Lannister was a laughingstock and a teenaged Tywin had to extinguish two Houses to bring back respect to House Lannister.

In the show tonight Tywin remarked that his father was loving but weak.This story showed that Tywin instead had to be hard for the sake of the family. I'm quite sure Jaime did hate Tywin for forcing him to sit four hours a day trying to read rather than being in the training yard or staring at his twin. But this episode showed how useless an unlettered commander can be.

A dark-haired and dark-eyed Volantene noblewoman? Gosh, this show is throwing world-building right out the window. This, along with the Spice King's comment about the "silver-

You can't possibly still think Talisa is Talisa from Volantis after the scene tonight. She's clearly hiding her identity. Beyond that, Volantis isn't exactly an integral aspect of the Ice and Fire series. I don't think altering the color palette of its people is all that detrimental to anything. It's one thing to make Dany raven-haired, it's pretty inconsequential to make a Volantene one.

Heh, the Qarth Spice Merchant is good times. I'm sorry, but I kind of enjoyed how condescending he was to Dany. She needs it every so often. The dragon theft was an interesting non-book development...guess this is the GoT crew trying to invent things for Dany to do since she's pretty absent for so much of Clash.

It's good that certain things, such as Dany being an awful ruler have been clarified earlier in the series. The Spice King scene sort of reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.