Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Dead weight?! I don't get this. I loved Irri. She was Daenary's link to her Dothraki side. Now there's little keeping her from being totally Westerosi/Andal.

I do have to agree with this. While I don't really care that Irri is gone (I never could distinguish her handmaidens in the book) they do seem to be forcing Dany to neglect her Dothraki side. And they seem to be knowingly do it. Last week we had the "she is not a princess, she is a khaleesi!" and then we had the "oh silly Dothraki, we can't steal his statues" bit. Besides having her khalasar significantly reduced they seem to be breaking her bonds with the Dothraki completely -- which will be interesting come her final scene in ADwD.

I thought the dyslexia story really added extra depth to Tywin. I've always found him to be one of the most fascinating characters in the story. Not likable, mind you, but interesting. in the books we learned that Tytos Lannister was a laughingstock and a teenaged Tywin had to extinguish two Houses to bring back respect to House Lannister.

In the show tonight Tywin remarked that his father was loving but weak.This story showed that Tywin instead had to be hard for the sake of the family. I'm quite sure Jaime did hate Tywin for forcing him to sit four hours a day trying to read rather than being in the training yard or staring at his twin. But this episode showed how useless an unlettered commander can be.

A dark-haired and dark-eyed Volantene noblewoman? Gosh, this show is throwing world-building right out the window. This, along with the Spice King's comment about the "silver-

You can't possibly still think Talisa is Talisa from Volantis after the scene tonight. She's clearly hiding her identity. Beyond that, Volantis isn't exactly an integral aspect of the Ice and Fire series. I don't think altering the color palette of its people is all that detrimental to anything. It's one thing to make Dany raven-haired, it's pretty inconsequential to make a Volantene one.

I thought the dyslexia story really added extra depth to Tywin. I've always found him to be one of the most fascinating characters in the story. Not likable, mind you, but interesting. in the books we learned that Tytos Lannister was a laughingstock and a teenaged Tywin had to extinguish two Houses to bring back respect to House Lannister.

In the show tonight Tywin remarked that his father was loving but weak.This story showed that Tywin instead had to be hard for the sake of the family. I'm quite sure Jaime did hate Tywin for forcing him to sit four hours a day trying to read rather than being in the training yard or staring at his twin. But this episode showed how useless an unlettered commander can be.

I may be reaching here, but it also lends itself to Jaime's tireless work ethic when he keeps working w/ Ser Ilyn to get his left-handed skills caught up with his right.

A late thought:: Shae seems to be more central to the story now. I wonder if she will take some of the Queen of Thorn's role, particularly later on.

Heh, the Qarth Spice Merchant is good times. I'm sorry, but I kind of enjoyed how condescending he was to Dany. She needs it every so often. The dragon theft was an interesting non-book development...guess this is the GoT crew trying to invent things for Dany to do since she's pretty absent for so much of Clash.

It's good that certain things, such as Dany being an awful ruler have been clarified earlier in the series. The Spice King scene sort of reminded me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Awesome episode tonight! Though, I am thoroughly disturbed by some scenes (i.e. Theon's brutal killing of Ser Rodrik, Sansa almost getting raped (but the Hound saves the day!...for her anyway)). Don't get me wrong, I don't think they were bad scenes. They just left me utterly shocked and wanting to cry :lol: All the actors did an awesome job!

I loved Arya and Tywin's exchange. And the possibility of Littlefinger recognizing Arya had my heart in my throat. The fact that many people have been wondering where in the world she went, and then Littlefinger possibly recognizing her? Could be exciting, and interesting to see what will happen. And I'm LOVING the guy who plays Jaqen! I'm gonna be sad to see him go. There's just something about him...

Loved Osha acting the ninja! :ninja:

Dany's ending was interesting, I thought. I know the dragons weren't stolen in the books, but could be interesting to see what happens. Kinda sad to see that much of her khalasar "horde" has been decimated

All of these scenes with Tywin and Arya catches me offguard. I am supposed to hate this man for what he did to Tyrion, but I cannot help but like him at the moment with his backstory he discusses with Arya. Show me Tyrion and Tywin scenes again so I can remember why I am supposed to hate this man!

A late thought:: Shae seems to be more central to the story now. I wonder if she will take some of the Queen of Thorn's role, particularly later on.

Margaery is going to take the Queen of Thorn's role. When she said "I want to be the queen" it was clear to me. I don't know if she will take Olenna's role in the Purple Wedding, but she won't need her grandma to tell her that Joffrey is not worth and etc.

But Shae seems to grow in importance, that's true and that's good. I'd like to see her more with Tyrion.

Edited by Cheese Pudding

You can't possibly still think Talisa is Talisa from Volantis after the scene tonight. She's clearly hiding her identity. Beyond that, Volantis isn't exactly an integral aspect of the Ice and Fire series. I don't think altering the color palette of its people is all that detrimental to anything. It's one thing to make Dany raven-haired, it's pretty inconsequential to make a Volantene one.

I agree that Talisa is much more mysterious this week after the spy comments and that piece of parchment she had in her hands, but I read the Westeros interview with Richard Madden and he certainly suggested, if not out right said, that the characters name was changed to Talisa. They originally asked "Was she Jeyne at the start of filming or was her name already changed by the time cameras started rolling" and Madden said "I think it was something else, but by the time we started filming it was Talisa."

That certainly seems to suggest that her name at least is Talisa. I don't see why, if she's hiding her identity, that she would give her real name but lie about where she's from. I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

All of these scenes with Tywin and Arya catches me offguard. I am supposed to hate this man for what he did to Tyrion, but I cannot help but like him at the moment with his backstory he discusses with Arya. Show me Tyrion and Tywin scenes again so I can remember why I am supposed to hate this man!

This is part of the genius of ASOIAF, and Dave and Dan undoubtedly get it. With a few exceptions (Ramsey, Joffrey, The Goat), everyone is grey. See them from another angle and you see them in a truly different light.

Freaking. Loved it.

Dad texted me earlier (we watch it together, but are seperated by a couple states during most of the year) and said "I don't remember the dragons being stolen" before I had watched the episode. So I went in to it knowing that would happen, but not why.

Honestly, I loved the change. It gave Dany something to do, and really ramped up her plot line. Canon? No. Great TV? Absolutely.

Loves:

Bran. The whole 'taking of Winterfell" scene was fantastic. I loved his pointed question at Theon.

Theon - so I hate the guy, but his acting was superb, and although it was awful to watch I thought his killing of Rodrik was really important to show just how inexperienced he is at this.

Arya/Tywin - may not be canon, but I really love this whole development of Tywin.

Dany being schooled by the Spice Merchant - priceless.

The Mob - I thought it was great. Sure, there were supposed to be horses, but I forgot that in the moment of being scared shitless for Sansa. Glad they finally got the Hound in - "little bird!"

Tyrion slapping Joffrey is always one for the money.

Myrcella - thought her goodbye scene was great. Really struck home with Cersei's threat.

Jon/Ygritte - wasn't sure where they were going with that, but I quite like the actress. Loved her shimmy up against him hahaha

Didn't have a dislike really. Loved this whole episode.

Edited by AnikaUnderfoot

This is sad. If only because who will still be around to tell us what is known?

Har!

I agree that Talisa is much more mysterious this week after the spy comments and that piece of parchment she had in her hands, but I read the Westeros interview with Richard Madden and he certainly suggested, if not out right said, that the characters name was changed to Talisa. They originally asked "Was she Jeyne at the start of filming or was her name already changed by the time cameras started rolling" and Madden said "I think it was something else, but by the time we started filming it was Talisa."

That certainly seems to suggest that her name at least is Talisa. I don't see why, if she's hiding her identity, that she would give her real name but lie about where she's from. I could be wrong, and I hope I am.

I saw that interview as well, but for one, I doubt Richard Madden would give away her true name if it will be a major plot point later on. Plus, don't forget the part of the interview where he says she has a "second" name, which he had a hard time pronouncing. I can't imagine he'd have a hard time pronouncing Jeyne, but who knows.

I saw that interview as well, but for one, I doubt Richard Madden would give away her true name if it will be a major plot point later on. Plus, don't forget the part of the interview where he says she has a "second" name, which he had a hard time pronouncing. I can't imagine he'd have a hard time pronouncing Jeyne, but who knows.

I figured that just meant her last name that she said in this episode that even I would have a hard time repeating. But I suppose it could mean Jeyne, even though that seems pretty straight-forward.

Tywin - The dislexia line caught me unaware. I don't know what to make of Tywin as a parent after that.

Friend of mine informed me that people with dislexia oftentimes are ambidextrious...there may be hope for Jamie after all.

And what's with Osha? Why is her head always cocked to one side? That's strange acting.