[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Ran

Does anyone know if the hound has any connection with the Starks, Possibly Eddard when they were younger? I just seemed when he told Tyrion that he didn't do it for him(save sansa). In the books he also seems to actually like Arya even though he is pretty gruff with her.

I am not aware of any connection between the Hound and the Starks and the Wiki doesn´t list anything

I actually thought this episode was the best this season so far. I really liked bran and Theon's scene. It reignited the feelings I had towards Theon in the book. I hate that scumbag. By the time I got to the end of dragons I almost actually felt bad for him. But not quite. He is the total piece of trash I thought he was and deserved everything he gets. I loved the hound and Sansa interaction. Brilliantly done. I do not like that they made shae her handmaid. I also have a huge problem with how they r portraying Sansa. In the book she was naive but not so much that she would ever divulge her true feelings to any of her servants. She was slick enough to know that there were spies everywhere. I also think they are making tywin seem too like able and I do not think this is a good thing. I believe they are straying too far from the story in some cases. Fornmei think it is imoportant to stick to story because it is important for the development of the charecters. I understand they need to fit a lot in to just 10 episodes which in itself is ludicrous. Dany's story has been boring so far as it was in the book. But theybr changing that the most. If they are making changes to her story I wish they would make it less boring. I didn't like the Khalisar diminishing so much. I think they should have got another actor to play rhakaro instead of killing him. I wish no more Ros and les killing of of actual charecters no matter how small. I felt the blood of her blood was important, but what the hell do I know. All in all I enjoyed this weeks episode but just have problems with some stuff

Does anyone know if the hound has any connection with the Starks, Possibly Eddard when they were younger? I just seemed when he told Tyrion that he didn't do it for him(save sansa). In the books he also seems to actually like Arya even though he is pretty gruff with her.

The Hound just doesn't like Tyrion (as mentioned in the first episode of this season), which is why he tells him off at the end of the riot. It's very unlikely that he has any prior connections to the Starks, being from the Westerlands.

The young guy is Kovarro, one of Danys bloodriders, they changed his name for some reason. The old guy is probably some random extra

True he does not seem to have a speaking role, tho he has been in two episodes so far.

Anyway, to the very end of ADwD Dany still has the remnant of her Kalasar , tho lord knows were most of them are?

She only talks to the boodriders and her hand maidens.

Seems I remember when they take the three ships to Astapor George mentions there are between 70 and 100. (Tho on the show looks smaller than that.)

Seems like we even know the names of some of the 'extras'. Well they are window dressing , but I it's the kind of story continuity that I like as a dramatic narrative.

By the by without horses and the three blood riders DRACRYS is going seem diminished.

Anyway,

By the way, is the word "grammar" a relatively modern word?

Indeed it is! Old English never had it. Grammar didn’t appear in the written record until around 1320, which by then of course is considered Middle English, not Old English at all. Here is its story from the OED:

• Etymology: < Old French gramaire (French grammaire), an irregular semipopular adoption (for the form of which compare Old French mire repr. Latin medicum, artimaire repr. Latin artem magicam or mathematicam) of Latin grammatica, < Greek γραμματική (scil. τέχνη art), feminine of γραμματικός adj., of or pertaining to letters or literature, < γράμματα letters, literature, plural of γράμμα letter, written mark, < root of γράϕειν to write. Compare Provençal gramaira (probably from French). Old French had also a learned adoption of the Latin word, gramatique, parallel with Spanish gramática, Portuguese gramatica, Italian grammatica, German grammatik, Welsh gramadeg.
  • In classical Greek and Latin the word denoted the methodical study of literature (= ‘philology’ in the widest modern sense, including textual and æsthetic criticism, investigation of literary history and antiquities, explanation of allusions, etc., besides the study of the Greek and Latin languages. Post-classically, grammatica came to be restricted to the linguistic portion of this discipline, and eventually to ‘grammar’ in the mod. sense. In the Middle Ages, grammatica and its Romance forms chiefly meant the knowledge or study of Latin, and were hence often used as synonymous with learning in general, the knowledge peculiar to the learned class. As this was popularly supposed to include magic and astrology, the Old French gramaire was sometimes used as a name for these occult sciences. In these applications it still survives in certain corrupt forms, French grimoire, English glamour n., gramarye n.

By the way, you may also find it interesting that our word glamour derives from the same source.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

In any case I don't actually think they consciously decided to get rid of all POC (Xaro is now black after all), but it's still an unfortunate decision if they do keep Doreah while writing off Irri and Jhiqui.

What is a “POC”, and why in the world didn’t you just write that?

People/Person of colour. And probably because I write it so often as "POC" that I don't think about it anymore.

Is a colored person like black, or brown, or yellow, or pink, or like what? This seems like a weaselly euphemism for something, but I can’t pin it down. Are you trying to avoid saying a dirty word of some sort?

Considering how much people on this board FREAKED THE F OUT when they thought Ramsay was cut, has anyone considered that some of the plot changes might be motivated to throw off people familiar with the books and keep them on edge?

I don't know if they'd do much of that intentionally, but I bet it's on their mind.

Tywin knows Arya is highborn, but doesn't know she's Stark. Arya's been very poor at playing lowborn scum in the show. There's no way a stonemason's daughter knows how to read at her age, especially not script that illuminated manuscripts would have on them. There's also no way that a stonemason brings his daughter south with him en route to war. I still think Williams is nailing the role, I think she's playing it just the way it should be played.

Joffrey was, again, a tremendous piece of feces.

Sansa in the book was learning by this time. Sansa in the show is still in Fairy Tale Land.

Jon doesn't know how to tie someone up. Ygritte still had a lot of freedom of movement for her hands. If they wake up like nothing happened, I'll be a bit disappointed. Maybe he wouldn't be able to fall fully asleep, but she's a warrior and has loose ropes already around her hands, with plenty of slack to wrap around his neck or to grab a weapon.

Rodrick was perfect...right to the bitter end. And Theon was exactly how I pictured him - unsure and cocky, wrapped in petulance and dreams of glory.

Changes are okay of course, and I'm not trying to complain, but I missed the part of the scene where Cersei actually takes Tyrion's side in the keep, after they get out of the riot.

Is Dany starting to realize that she's the Beggar Queen, to her brother's Beggar King? Is it possible they're setting up to keep her away from the Slave Cities boondoggle?

About stonemasons.These are the guys who write inscriptions in stone.In our world they've been doing it since the Sumerian civilization.

They were deemed to be highly skilled and,of necessity,literate.They formed a guild called the Stonemasons which still survives today,known as the Masons.

It's not improbable that they passed their knowledge on to their children either here or in Westeros.

So,cleverly played by Arya.

Is a colored person like black, or brown, or yellow, or pink, or like what? This seems like a weaselly euphemism for something, but I can’t pin it down. Are you trying to avoid saying a dirty word of some sort?

"POC", aka Person of Colour or People of Colour is used to describe all people who are not white, without having to define them by their non-whiteness the way the term "non-white" does. I'm not using it in an effort to be politically correct, or because I'm afraid to call black people black, brown people brown or white people white. I'm using it because it's shorter than writing "people of all ethnicities that are not Caucasian" and because it's widely used by "people of colour", like me, themselves.

Honestly I think you're taking your hate of acronyms a bit too far there. You - correctly - pointed out that my use of "POC" could confuse a lot of people who are not familiar with the term, so I answered you what it meant and edited my post as well for potential future readers. That should have been the end of it no ?

Dany announcing what she and her dragons will do in every episode is becoming very much like Robb's camp announcing that he's KOTN. Really just comical to me.

And are we really expected to believe that Robb would not question his mother about Renly's death, or notice the 6'3" woman she's picked up on her way back? :shocked: Really, because that just seriously pushes the envelope of credulity in my estimation. I don't care how infatuated you are with Volantine Medicine Woman, a six foot three woman wearing battle armor following your mother around would still be hard to miss.

Or, perhaps I'm just preternaturally perceptive. LOL.

The Bad:

Alas, there was no "Brotherfucker!". I really wanted that included, but oh well, at least Joff gets the shit thrown in his face.

Now, this was an egregious oversight. Maybe they thought it would be too funny, though, so they took it out.

First post after some time lurking. Hello everyone.

I think the cowled person with the dragons at the end is Ser Barristan. Maybe he arrived just in time to foil a plot to steal the dragons.

I'm worried about the introduction of the note Arya took. It adds an imperative for Arya to get out of Harrenhal quickly so she can warn Rob. Her last 'death wish' might involve Jaquen's assistance in escaping from Harrenhal. This would likely mean no Weasel Soup.

I enjoyed the episode

winterfell was great moved right along

I was a bit annoyed that Rodrick just happened to be waiting stage right with some blood on his head and no other captured troops with him, he took the whole garrison to fight Theon, who was already attacking Winterfell? huh? Did the whole garrison die?

but gruesome execution and good acting all around

I'm not to worried about the "teleporting"

both catelyn and littlefinger arrive in the midlands from storm's end around the same time, I'm guessing this is about two weeks later from the previous episode ...

the scenes above the wall look amazing Iceland is breathtaking, and the wildlings dressed like Inuit, very nice touches, for those saying the north cant support 100,000 wildlings, iceland itself have a population of 300,000... the chase scene was kind of silly it reminded me of princess bride, sliding down the hill, as you wish...

the riot scene was good except for the arm getting pulled off, this isnt walking dead!

rape scene looked scary, hound disembowling folks was well done, btw those claiming this was too gory, clearly you've never been to a meat packing plant or realize just how brutal the middle ages or warfare in general really is, its a messy dirty awful business.

Robb's scene was really forced with the Talisa girl

and Shae is still thee most boring cast member of the series...

I dont mind the nudity, at least HBO aknowledges the human body's existence unlike the rest of the TV world. At least they dont dance around the fact that people actually have sex, the watered down sitcoms on network tv with double entendres and middle school antics is alot more bizarre in my adult opionion.

I dont mind the dragons being stolen, it was a nice twist for all of us book readers, it will break up Dany's spoilt whining and let her actually develop her character some more

the tower at the end is also in the opening credits in Qarth the black tower on the edge of the city, House of Undying!

Edited by arrowsmith