[Book Spoilers] EP 207 Discussion

Ran

Am I the only one who wasn’t convinced by the Sandor/Sansa interaction in this episode?

As a fan of these two, I was really impatient to see that scene, and I’m happy that they finally got one (their first real conversation since the episode 2 of season 1! :bang: ), but the whole thing felt rushed and forced.

Their dialog was kind of weird, they went from one thing to another, in a way that didn’t made that much sense to me…

True, most of what they said is in the book, but it felt like someone took the original conversation and just picked a few random phrases from it before putting it all together…

And now, their next interaction will probably be the BW bedroom scene in episode 9… If Sansa and Sandor don’t get any other scene before that, which will probably be the case, it’s going to be really weird… :stillsick:

This is a long thread, so my apologies if this has already been brought up. But, did anyone else think Tywin made Arya eat that food because he thought it may have been poisoned? He made it clear in that scene that he thought the wolfsbane that killed Amory Lorch was meant for him.

Tywin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would just give food away out of the kindness of his heart like that.

You're the second person I've seen who has said that, and it makes a lot of sense. Although I have to admit that when I saw the scene, I was so focused on the idea that he knew who she was that I thought he made her eat so he could watch how she did it - lowborn girls eat in an entirely different way than girls of noble birth.

This is a long thread, so my apologies if this has already been brought up. But, did anyone else think Tywin made Arya eat that food because he thought it may have been poisoned? He made it clear in that scene that he thought the wolfsbane that killed Amory Lorch was meant for him.

Tywin doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would just give food away out of the kindness of his heart like that.

Good point. I hadn't made that connection. There's definitely more to Tywin's grandpa act than he's letting on.

the ONLY PEOPLE who complain about the show are bookreaders. everyone i know who only watches the show CANNOT wait for the next week after each and every GoT episode. they have one complaint, and that is that the seasons are too short.

That is not true at all. Go outside of this forum sometimes. Plenty of non-readers have criticisms for the show.

Am I the only one who wasn’t convinced by the Sandor/Sansa interaction in this episode?

As a fan of these two, I was really impatient to see that scene, and I’m happy that they finally got one (their first real conversation since the episode 2 of season 1! :bang: ), but the whole thing felt rushed and forced.

Their dialog was kind of weird, they went from one thing to another, in a way that didn’t made that much sense to me…

True, most of what they said is in the book, but it felt like someone took the original conversation and just picked a few random phrases from it before putting it all together…

Yes, I agree with that. It looked weird and forced, I was a bit lukewarm about the scene, despite eagerly expecting the Hound saying "killing is the sweetest thing there is". Oh well at least we got it, I guess...

And now, their next interaction will probably be the BW bedroom scene in episode 9… If Sansa and Sandor don’t get any other scene before that, which will probably be the case, it’s going to be really weird… :stillsick:

Yeah. I'm not exactly a San/San shipper, but really enjoy the interactions between the two in the books. I think their relationship is a rather complex one, and it's been mostly glossed over in the show. The hound is one of my favourite characters and it's a shame he's not had more screen time.

To me it just feels like they’ve wanted to include as many nude women as possible. When will we see a man doing a full frontal nudity in every other episode?

I’d imagine that that depends on the man — who in particular did you have in mind? ;-}

Good episode. Did anyone else get the impression that Jon wasn't pulling his sword on Ygriette, but was rather going to drop it and have sex with her, but she just took it as a threat and backed off. Thats the expression I read from Jon, as it seems hes confused for a moment as if he's surprised she took it as a threat.

This episode had some thrilling scenes. I laughed at Ygritte's mocking of Jon, and it's clear that he is already weak against her fiery personality. I liked the way they did the walnut scene (removing the Maester before they take the orphans for decoys) because it illustrated what happened in the book better (though without Reek). I've always thought that Cersei viewed Joffrey as a means to an end (i.e. power), so when Joffrey begins to take that from her in the show, it totally fits that she's lost any hope for him. They are starting to make Sansa more sympathetic, and Sophie is serving her character well. I really love Arya's scenes with Tywin, but I think the suspension of disbelief is starting to crack. I think they really need to be focusing more on Arya's interactions with Jaqen H'ghar instead. I have almost zero interest in Robb's affair with Talisa. If anything I think I'm losing sympathy for him and his ultimate doom. Yes, she's gorgeous (and probably much more so than any daughter of a Frey), but the brilliant strategist and general is seemingly oblivious of the danger in consorting with the enemy.

Don't think I understand the criticism of Jaime's latest murder. So you're fine with him being redeemed for all the other brash things Jaime's done, but you cannot redeem this one because it's a distant relative? That's silly; this is the Kingslayer we're talking about. He'll do anything to get back to Cersei at this point. If anything, this particular murder only makes Catelyn's release of him even more shocking to viewers when it comes. I think they still have plenty of time next season to start working on Jaime understanding the wrongs of his past. At this point, it doesn't matter what they add to Jaime's list of misdeeds, because the list is too marked already.

Every single excuse I read about why so-and-so was cut, or why this scene wasn't as comprehensive involves this "budget for the Blackwater battle".

All I have to say is this – that battle better be mind-blowing. Like 200 giant ships lit on fire mind-blowing.

Edited by True Northerner

Jaime's unarmed killing of two men might also give Cat a reason to

cut his hand off

before letting him go, because after he's done that you'd have to be moronic to send him off, at least vaguely free of body, with only one female guard even if she has seen her kill men. I'd hate the change but within the story it makes sense. Otherwise I'd like one of Robb's men (Roose? or Karstark) to point out that it was not only "treason" but really, really stupid. He's already killed an armed guard and made a run for it in his chains- giving him a better, less guarded chance to do so on the long journey to KL is just stupid

And they are not the only ones, I felt a lot of scenes quickened too much this season. Oh D&D, if you would just cut out the nudity, you would have more time for more important scenes.

I am still hoping that they didn't mess up the BW scene since GRRM wrote it (and thank the Seven for it). Especially because I know there is only that one certain scene left and probably no more than that for years and seasons to come, if ever :frown5:

Jaime's murder is among the most stupid things I've seen in a long while...

It was dark and no one was around, so why didn't he just tell Alton to pretend to be dead? The guard wouldn't have noticed the lack of blood until he was close enough for Jaime to take him out... And if they wanted to show us how sly Jaime really is he would've told Alton they would split up during the escape. Alton, who was probably less experienced in the wild would be hunted down first, which would buy Jaime some precious time. That sacrifice of Alton would've made a lot more sense.

And having Alton alive until the next episode would've made more sense if they wanted to follow the book regarding Robb and Karstark. So Jaime did kill Torrhen Karstark, but why didn't they leave Alton alive for now? In the next episode, Karstark could've killed Alton - to us a familiar face by now - out of rage and grief, forcing Robb to execute him. That would've been much better than if Karstark would kill some unknown Lannister prisoners. Or what are they going to do? Will Karstark be the one to chop off Jaime's hand?

This was a brutally dumb scene...

They should have re-worked Dany's drama. Jorah should have taken her to the House where should could have had her visions and burned the place down. This would open up episodes 8 and 9 for the other stuff. Then in episode 10, she could meet her new companions at the docks.

Thoughts for this week...

Dany: Relatively fun week with Dean Pelton's magic trickery.

Jon: Funny. Ygritte is just about right on the hot/dangerous scale.

Theon: Eww. About time we saw some charred corpses in this War of Five Kings though.

Jaime/Cat: Frustrating week for my favourite character. As has been said, the Alton murder was unnecessary. Cat ever so slightly starting to come across as arrogant/naive. I expect that to intensify next week,

Tyrion/Cersei: Still hate bubbling below the surface but I thought they had a nice scene.

Sansa: Captured the moonblood scene perfectly.

N.B. The music at the end was fucking awesome.

Did anyone else think for a while that they might have been setting up Alton to fill in the roles of Cleos and Pod. He seemed to combine both characters quite nicely. Killing him off the way they did was a missed opportunity.

I agree with you about the Robb sending her to Renly part, but disagree about the Jamie release. Just because it's in response to Karstark's raging doesn't take her agency away.

What in the world does that funny word “agency” mean there? Thus spake the OED:

1. The faculty of an agent or of acting; active working or operation; action, activity.
  2. Working as a means to an end; instrumentality, intermediation.
  3. Action or instrumentality embodied or personified as concrete existence.
  4. Comm. The office or function of an agent or factor.
  5. An establishment for the purpose of doing business for another, usually at a distance.
  6. The office of an Indian agent, or the establishment forming the headquarters of one. U.S.

Pinky, are you thinking what I’m thinking?

I think so, Brain: it smells like postmodernist deconstructionalistic claptrap to me.

Egad Pinky! Did we really learn nothing from the Sokal affair?

Several differences in historical chains. The ones in the US (No idea about the one in Turkey) were used to block rivers. At thin points in the river. I've visited West Point and the area around 'The Great Chain". The river there is not very big, less than half a mile, and it was chosen because it would minimize the speed for boats hitting it (and supported by a wooden wall). All of that considered, it was still thought to be a deterrent at most and it would not stop a ship committed to breaking it. 1. Blackwater Bay is massive (at least it looks like it on the map), in the description of the battle, Davos describes many warships in a row going full speed. It has to be huge.

2. Tyrion's chain is secret. The mechanism to operate something like that would be absurdly massive and that prevents it from having any sort of support in the bay itself.

3. How exactly did that massive structure get built with no one noticing it?

4. Who is manning the South side support, which would have to be in the middle of Stannis's troops?

It is one of those cool for fantasy things that would just look dumb if you saw it.

I agree with you about the Robb sending her to Renly part, but disagree about the Jamie release.

With regard to the Jamie release, I think tv-Cat is being smarter than book-Cat.

I think releasing Jamie in response to a specific offer to trade him for the girls is smarter and more rational than sending him to Kings Landing on the assumption/ hope that the Lannisters will release her daughters.

Book-Cat's decision was an emotional decision after the boys' apparent death, and I thought it was stupid. Here, TV-Cat is rationally assessing the situation in Robb's camp and coming to the probably correct conclusion that Jamie won't last the night and she'll lose her bargaining chip. Just because it's in response to Karstark's raging doesn't take her agency away.

ummm book Cat responded to Cleo's information that Tyrion would trade the girls for Jamie, combind with the boys murders. Cat believes Tyrion will release the girls if Jamie is released. She is banking on tyrion's honor. In the episode last night all Clea (sic) said was the queen ripped up the paper so Cat has NO reason to think that releasing Jamie will result in her daughters release

I agree with you about the Robb sending her to Renly part, but disagree about the Jamie release.

With regard to the Jamie release, I think tv-Cat is being smarter than book-Cat.

I think releasing Jamie in response to a specific offer to trade him for the girls is smarter and more rational than sending him to Kings Landing on the assumption/ hope that the Lannisters will release her daughters.

Book-Cat's decision was an emotional decision after the boys' apparent death, and I thought it was stupid. Here, TV-Cat is rationally assessing the situation in Robb's camp and coming to the probably correct conclusion that Jamie won't last the night and she'll lose her bargaining chip. Just because it's in response to Karstark's raging doesn't take her agency away.

ummm book Cat responded to Cleo's information that Tyrion would trade the girls for Jamie, combind with the boys murders. Cat believes Tyrion will release the girls if Jamie is released. She is banking on tyrion's honor. In the episode last night all Clea (sic) said was the queen ripped up the paper so Cat has NO reason to think that releasing Jamie will result in her daughters release