Sign in to follow this  
Ran

[Book Spoilers] EP 207 Discussion

If you think there's a way to insult someone that's not offensive or wrong in any way, please share it. Basically what you just said was 'cusswords are offensive'. Yes, they are. That's why they're cusswords. In my language the most common insult is actually a word referring to male, so that it's different in English is coincidence more than anything. But no, of course, it has to be sexist! At most, even following your messed up logic, you could say Arya's (who is a girl, no less) comment is 'sexist' (which it's not), which doesn't mean it was the screenwriters' intent to offend anyone, because they're simply writing a character, in which case, in the end you'd be getting offended by a fictional character's fictional opinion, lol ^__^ What exactly are you trying to accomplish by fighting over that? If you think all such stuff should be omitted from everything because you're 'offended' by it you'd be severely limiting character possibilities, characters couldn't even express 'offensive' opinions anymore as a method to show how messed up they are (like the show actually did for Joffry). Seems to me someone has to get a stick out of her- above all. This attitude (shown by many minorities) is little more than an attempt to gain more influence on all kinds of branches of society anyway, while what we should be really focusing on actual important things like unequal wages. Of course, the little unimportant 'offensive' things keep our attention away from those and keep us fighting each other, exactly the thing the people maintaining the actual inequality want.

I thought we were done with each other but apparently you have a bone to pick with me.

1. Way to miss the point. Yeah insults are meant to offend, that's their purpose, we're clear on that. The point is that men should not be insulted when compared to women, since there's nothing wrong with being a woman.

2. It's not just English. Most of the worst French insults translate to bitch/whore/motherfucker. Mandarin also has quite a few choice insults revolving around mothers and vaginas. Sometimes both at the same time.

3. Women can be sexist too. I thought you knew that already since you've accused me of being sexist several times before.

4. I never said I wanted to ban anything.

5. Nice to know minorities should get a stick out of their collective asses.

6. And calm down a bit maybe ? At this point I feel like my existence offends you.

Also why does Twyin think someone was trying to kill him? He had that little dart that killed Amory Lorch..he just presumes someone was trying to kill him as well or did Arya name Twyin as her third? Confused about that scene...

When Theon and co arrive to that farmer's house with the two orphans...what was it that one of Theon's men, forget his name, picked off the ground?

Nuts of some kind. Rickon's been munching on them for a while, so it's supposed to be a sign that he was at the mill not too long ago.

Also why does Twyin think someone was trying to kill him? He had that little dart that killed Amory Lorch..he just presumes someone was trying to kill him as well or did Arya name Twyin as her third? Confused about that scene...

I think Tywin just doesn't want to take chances. If someone's out to get his lieutenant, they should probably be out to get him as well.

I thought we were done with each other but apparently you have a bone to pick with me.

1. Way to miss the point. Yeah insults are meant to offend, that's their purpose, we're clear on that. The point is that men should not be insulted when compared to women, since there's nothing wrong with being a woman.

2. It's not just English. Most of the worst French insults translate to bitch/whore/motherfucker. Mandarin also has quite a few choice insults revolving around mothers and vaginas. Sometimes both at the same time.

3. Women can be sexist too. I thought you knew that already since you've accused me of being sexist several times before.

4. I never said I wanted to ban anything.

5. Nice to know minorities should get a stick out of their collective asses.

6. And calm down a bit maybe ? At this point I feel like my existence offends you.

1. Unless you're a man. Which is why it is also common to compare women to men when insulting him, like people accusing them of having beards. I just don't think people who are mean by default should be used to judge the rest of society as a whole.

2. See above.

3. I don't take anyone's gender for granted over the internet. You're all ambiguous creatures made of walls of texts, screennames and avatars to me.

4. So you approve of people making stuff that offends you. Okay, each to their own.

5. I respect minorities when they address existing problems in society, not when they get offended at everything and anything. While we're discussing something Arya-the-fictional-tv-character said, some woman is being forced to wear a Burkha.

6. I'm actually amused by your existence, to be completely honest.

Edited by StannisandDaeny

When Theon and co arrive to that farmer's house with the two orphans...what was it that one of Theon's men, forget his name, picked off the ground?

Dagmer has some of the nuts Rickon was eating - probably what they were getting the hounds to sniff and track... i don't think he found them there.. he had them with him... but the idea of using the millers kids to prevent Theon losing face presented itself and he dropped the hint to Theon...

1. Unless you're a man. Which is why it is also common to compare women to men when insulting him, like people accusing them of having beards. I just don't think people who are mean by default should be used to judge the rest of society as a whole. 2. See above. 3. I don't take anyone's gender for granted over the internet. You're all ambiguous creatures made of walls of texts, screennames and avatars to me. 4. So you approve of people making stuff that offends you. Okay, each to their own. 5. I respect minorities when they address existing problems in society, not when they get offended at everything and anything. While we're discussing something Arya-the-fictional-tv-character said, some woman is being forced to wear a Burkha. 6. I'm actually amused by your existence, to be completely honest.

In short : you respect minorities, as long as they don't annoy you. It's their fault they're oppressed because they don't focus their attention where you think they should. And if oppression manifests itself in minor ways they shouldn't talk about it because there are poor Muslim Women being Oppressed as we speak. And you find my existence funny. Good for you. Unfortunately for me I don't find sexism funny. I'm gonna stop here. No need to bother everyone else with a meaningless back-and-forth.

Requiring someone ELSE to read something they have no desire to then deriding them for not wanting to do what you say, I suspect is some sort of functional mental illness, like OCD or a compulsion to control others -- and that was a joke, just in case the PC thought police are reading this!

Whoa.. easy there. I think he's just throwing out a suggestion. Like "hey.. you love the series? You know what else you might like, these books". Kind of like when you go to Amazon and buy something, they suggest other things you might like.

RE Jaime killing his cousin: it's not about showing how much of an arsehole Jaime is, nor is it at all out of character. The lesser folk exist purely to die for the greater folk. That's a strong theme throughout the novels and is clearly being picked out as a strong theme for the series, too (hence the whole angry-medic-woman-chastises-Robb bit earlier in the season).

Jaime quite clearly understands this. Not to mention that he and the Hound had a very strong correlation in this episode: they both fundamentally enjoy what they are, but possibly for very different reasons.

Edited by Dryhtscipe

This also ties into what I just said about "the little guy doesn't matter". Tywin is so conscious of this that it's entirely unconscious for him - why should anyone want to kill Mr Unimportant Faceless Weapon? Clearly, someone is intending to kill him. He's the one that matters.

His assumption ties in perfectly with his son killing a cousin for his own escape. Jaime is one of those who matter. Those who matter do not care for those who don't, and those that matter who DO care for those who don't... perish. Like Ned Stark.

Lord Karstarks boy killed on guard duty... Would a powerful lords son be assigned guard duty?

Yes. It's not "just guard duty". It's Jaime Lannister, hugely feared Kingslayer. Being assigned to guard him is Big Time.

I was really thrown off by this episode and all the changes that have been made. So far I have had no issues with the sight deviations here and there but this week threw me for a serious loop. I will say on a positive note I am enjoying the chemistry between Ygritte and Jon.

Yes. It's not "just guard duty". It's Jaime Lannister, hugely feared Kingslayer. Being assigned to guard him is Big Time.

Then why would he only assign one guard, if the Kingslayer is such a great prize ?

Also welcome to the boards ! (You can use the Multiquote function at the bottom right of a post if you want to answer to several posts at the same time).

I think Robb gave the duty of guarding Jaime to Karstark for a reason. Karstark was being uppity to his King, so he gave him a backhanded slap down with the "honor" of guarding Jaime. Also he likely wanted someone he could count on (Starks are sadly poor judges of the failings of others) to report back to him and important information Alton may pass on to Jaime.

Well, duh. That's pretty obvious, isn't it? :D Yeah, I have a strong interest in the books but still not strong enough to actually read them. I prefer reading ABOUT them. How horrible am I! Besided, "spoiler" is just an empty word for me. I do understand it's meaning for other people but it'f basically impossible to spoil anything for me. You could tell me EVERYTHING that happens in the books and yet I'd happily read them if I wanted to. Actually I'm weird in this matter, too, because I usually read endings first. Why? Because I want to know whether I like the ending or not. If not, what's the point of wasting my time when outcome will not be satisfactory. If I like it, I'll be invested to know what happens before the ending. And usually the more I know the more I'm interested in reading/watching (unless I'm convinced I'm not going to like it).

I have that nagging curiousity to know what happens at the end of a book or series for the same reason. I dont have to particularly 'like' an ending to invest my time, I just have to respect it. And it is very rare that I dont atleast respect where the author took or takes the story. I'm pretty open minded and liberal in this sense (To my point, Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie and I am literally rewatching The Grey for about the twentieth time at this very moment. Movies, yes, but far from happy or complete endings).

Anyways, I can actually attribute this nagging curiousity to one book----Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Will Graham running and hiding at the end while he leaves his wife and stepson to deal with the Tooth Fairy ruined an otherwise classic book for me.

Edited by Jon Black

So why do they only have one guard on duty? Catelyn Stark walks into Renly's camp and has more guards on her. A man with the nickname of "Kingslayer", the KotN is to his knowledge around and there is only one person watching?

So why do they only have one guard on duty? Catelyn Stark walks into Renly's camp and has more guards on her. A man with the nickname of "Kingslayer", the KotN is to his knowledge around and there is only one person watching?

In the world of Westeros, guarding Jamie Lannister The Kingslayler is absolutely a big deal!!!

In the SHOW, he only has One guard so he only has to kill One guard. In reality he would had to have killed at least a few more just to get out of the camp. IF in the books Robb had taken Jaime camp hoping I can Only imagine he built his camp Around Jamie's cell and did not leave it on the outskirts with One Guard!! like in the show:)

Whoa.. easy there. I think he's just throwing out a suggestion. Like "hey.. you love the series? You know what else you might like, these books". Kind of like when you go to Amazon and buy something, they suggest other things you might like.

The voice of reason. Thank you.

probably what they were getting the hounds to sniff and track.

Prbly not, because the hounds reportedly lost track of the scent in the village.