[Book Spoilers] EP 208 Discussion

Ran

Like another poster said, I don't get what they gain from the changes they do. This episode wasn't my favorite, but take Game of Thrones' worst episode and it's still better than any other show out right now.

I guess the HotU will be saved for the last episode, and I absolutely cannot wait for next week's eppy! Oh, and this is the first episode I actually liked Yara/Asha!

Only part of the episode I didn't like was Talisa telling that boring ass story about Volantis. So she actually is a Volanti? Then why mention the Crag and the Westerlings? I don't get that at all.

Everything else was fantastic.

No weasel soup? Don't care. Don't understand why people are so upset that's not in there.

Arya was not shown as escaping outside Harrenhall, by the way. They showed them going through a gate. It's entirely possibly Jaqen meets them efore they leave Harrenhall, but maybe not. I was/am still hoping that we get to see Jaqen kill some people with his sword. I'll be disappointed if not. I'll probably end up disappointed. Maybe in episode 10.

Battle of the Blackwater looks AWESOME.

I'm a bit more sold on "Jeyne" after her backstory. Still don't care much for Robb marrying a foreign lady but at least she IS a lady. I thought they were trying to put in 21st century ideals about Robb falling in love with a lowborn girl. At least she is a good actress. I cannot stand Shae's acting. That scene with Tyrion was painful. Peter Dinklage is such a good actor and she is obviously not.

Also not liking that Stannis is a day away and Tyrion is just now getting around to planning the defense. And pig shit? Is this Barter Town?

Still, some good things: We had a Ser Kevan appearence. Yara and Theon had a good scene, as did Tyrion and Varys. The Ros scene was obvious for us book veterans but I'm warming to Lena Headey's Cersei portrayal. Feel like she is finding her stride.

Could care less about: No Weasel soup.

I think it might not be a charade after all, really disapointed. It must be said, this relationship has been one of the lowest point in the series so far.

Yeah i'm starting to think she is either:

a) From Volantis, or B) Jeyne Westernling sending letters to Tywin lannister. Either one would be a huge change from the book, and one of the few changes I will not be happy with.

I had felt the series was going to alter some main events, but this episode addressed them and tied them back into the narrative. It left me very satisfied. The following is just quick list of important details this episode provided:

• Dragonglass and the likely Horn of Joramun were discovered at the fist of firts men;
  • Bran and Rickon are in the Crypts;
  • Tyrion confirmed Valonqar IMHO;
  • Varys and Tyrion alliance begins;
  • Tyrion making preparations and reading siege history leads foreshadows hulking, hellfyre boat bomb/chain = probable;
  • Jon will kill the Half-Hand in hand to hand;
  • Dany's dragons likely will mature due to the magic in the house of undying.

A great set-up episode.

Oh my God the preview of Blackwater holy shit holy shit.

My thoughts exactly. :)

A couple minutes of Daenerys and no HoTU.

HotU is going to be in ep. 10. We've known that for weeks, based off of ep. summary/teasers.

I would imagine that happens in the last episode, given the title. ;)

Exactly.

I also missed the weasel soup stuff, but since she's never been called Weasel in the show, nor is there a tower basement full of high-born prisoners to free and take the castle, I can understand it being ommitted.

On another note, I'm apparently the only one who didn't hate the scenes with Robb and Talisa, I guess.

Can someone remind me what exactly weasal soup is?

Weasel soup was the third death Arya asked for. Unlike the HBO episode, Arya gets Northern prisoners freed, who in turn take over Harrenhall. Soup is cooked for the guards, and the boiling soup is used as a weapon. She then gets chosen as Roose Bolton's cup-bearer, as opposed to the strange plot device of her being Tywin Lannister's cupbearer.

I fangirled so hard when Varys said the name Targaryen! I'm such a geek.

Alfie plays Theon so well. I hated him in the books, but now I feel really bad for him.

The little bit between Brienne and Jamie was lovely. I need more of this next season!

I'm kinda sad that we won't be seeing anymore of Arya-Tywin. They were great together. I'm, still disappointed in Jaqen H'ghar or maybe I just painted the wrong picture of him as I was reading the books.

Last note--Even though I loved this episode and each of the story-lines, I felt like there were too many in this episode to move forward any of the plots. I was left wanting more at the end. IDK.

Bring on the House of the Undying!!!

I'm apparently the only one who didn't hate the scenes with Robb and Talisa, I guess.

I thought they were good.

I mean if Rob is going to do something as brash as blow off his pact with the Frey's they HAVE to show them falling in love. Having him show up at Riverrun and be married worked in the book because he didn't have a perspective, but in the show it's something that has to be seen.